The Palacio Prank

Mowen

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2542830,00.html

The international media has been tricked by a group of football fans in a scheme cooked up on an internet messageboard.

In scenes reminiscent of 2005's 'Kris Musampa' hoax - which made its way onto the pages of the Daily Mirror, and was even discussed on Match Of The Day - journalists have been caught out by an apparently entirely fictional story.

A blog claiming to be run by and on behalf of Boca Juniors fans began by reporting that the Gunners were interested in Argentinian Rodrigo Palacio, a striker who has scored 39 goals in 79 appearances for Boca and has won five caps for his country. Various Arsenal forums were also spammed with the rumours.

It didn't take long for the national press to jump on the bandwagon.

'Palacio, 25, will fly into London tomorrow after Boca accepted the Gunners' offer' announced the Daily Telegraph, who along with The Independent published the story on Tuesday. They were far from alone - the BBC, the Daily Mirror and Daily Mail all ran the news.

The Sun were amongst the hardest stung within the British media, announcing on Monday that 'all obstacles have been removed after Arsenal came in with a record-breaking offer', while Sky Sports News announced it as a done deal.

By Tuesday morning, the story had been repeated in newspapers as far afield as Argentina, Japan and Spain.

---------------------

:lol:

Similar things have been done before I think, but just shows you the calibre of football journalism in this country. I know it's not the best paper, but I can't believe the Sun went that far!

Football365 is equally bad.

Didn't read all the palacio related report but both BBC and The Guardian have clearly suggested it is transfer gossip and report from Argentina respectively. They are perfectly right and accurate. Those who lump BBC + The Guardian with The Sun are not right to do so, and by jumping the gun at first chance at the national media without base they are as bad as The Sun.

:lol:

I knew something was wrong with the whole Palacio to Arsenal move..it just happend way too fast to be true..the player was playing with Argentina in the Copa America Final and then flying the next day for a medical, just seemed (Not) true to me :)