Carlisle Utd 1-1 Newcastle Utd - Post-Match Thread

Newcastle Fan

THERE was little doubt for those who got their first glimpse of Sam Allardyce’s Newcastle United at the weekend that this was the start of something new but they will be hoping a 1-1 draw at League One opposition is not a sign of things to come.

Anyone who reads anything into pre-season results is on a slippery slope. But change brings suspicion and poor results to start the manager’s rein – even in pre-season – could erode the goodwill which greeted his appointment.

It took Nolberto Solano’s stunning strike 36 seconds into injury-time to salvage a draw on Saturday.

But more significant was the wastefulness which made it an equaliser rather than the icing on the cake.

Having played 4-4-2 at Hartlepool United in midweek, Newcastle reverted to the shape Allardyce perfected at Bolton Wanderers. Solano was a deep-lying playmaker with Joey Barton and Nicky Butt on either side to do the legwork.

The forward line had Obafemi Martins largely on the right, Andy Carroll in the centre and Kieron Dyer, who a month ago was being considered as an England right-back, on its left.

The emphasis was on full-backs Stephen Carr and Charles N’Zogbia to attack, as both are happy to, but the shape allowed the widemen in Carlisle’s 4-4-2 plenty of space. Kieran Westwood kicked the ball into the hole left by one Carr foray and although Jeff Smith brought it down well, Kevin Gall chipped wide. Premiership opponents might not be so forgiving.

While Newcastle’s shape followed the Bolton stereotype, their football did not, stroking the ball around in a way the Trotters’ critics claim they never did.

Allardyce was probably weighing up his tactical options, as with his choice of captain. Without Shay Given, Barton donned the armband. He will definitely not wear it against Celtic on Thursday, having fractured a metatarsal midway through the second half.

“It’s the hardest pre-season I’ve had at Newcastle, everything looks very professional,” Solano said of Allardyce’s methods. “In terms of the tactics the new manager wants us to play it is very important we move forward. There are no secrets anymore so Sam’s ideas might give us an advantage.

“The new system is not ready to play all the time and we don’t know if that’s what we’ll use at the start of the season.”

The Peruvian recognises an opportunity to extend his career. “We have our own personal masseur and we’re wearing heart monitors,” he said. “But the football is the most important thing.

“Wearing the heart monitors is bad news for us because they show just how hard you’ve been working. The manager can see who’s been cheating. I feel fitter at this stage than at any time in my career.

“I’m only 32 and what Sam is doing could help me go on in the Premiership even longer but because the talent and quality is getting better all the time, I’m just looking to the season.

“I like being able to direct the play and having time to pick out passes. But playing in that position against the likes of Chelsea will be tougher.” Carlisle’s spirit and Newcastle’s finishing masked the fact the latter had the majority of the chances, thanks largely to their superior pace.

Too many shots were dragged off target from promising positions and Danny Graham should have punished them when, in the 50th minute, he pounced onto David Rozehnal’s poor touch but blazed wide.

When Butt pulled Smith back six minutes later, however, Marc Bridge-Wilkinson delivered an excellent free-kick which Danny Livesey, whose aerial ability was crucial at both ends, headed home.

As the game progressed and substitutes flooded on, Newcastle increasingly dominated, Geremi coming closest with a free-kick. Carroll’s height caused problems throughout and just after the board indicated three added minutes he nodded Tim Krul’s kick to Solano for his blast into the top corner.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/journalsport/tm_headline=no-win-to-mark-start-of-new-era%26method=full%26objectid=19499461%26siteid=50081-name_page.html