I did my best - Shepherd

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest Knightrider

Trophies = none

Average league finish = 9th (same as Villa)

Number of managers = 5 in 10 years

Number of CL qualifications = 1

Number of backdoor European entries = 5

Number of proper Euro entries = 1

Money spent = shit loads

Money earned from club £50m plus in 10 years

Left the club = 13th

Ashley and co have that to beat.

Me = confident and over the moon.

Bye bye Freddy :lol:

Trophies = none

Money spent = shit loads

Left the club = 13th

Good summary.

I'll tattoo it to Anal Olivers leather head if i ever see the cunt walking the street.

Trophies = none

Money spent = shit loads

Left the club = 13th

I will remind you that when we won the Fairs Cup, we qualified by the "back door".

It doesn't matter how you qualify, you qualify according to the rules. Finishing 7th in the league [higher than when we qualified by the back door and won the trophy] and reaching 2 FA Cup Finals in a period of less than a decade [without even the top 5 finishes thrown in for good measure] surpasses what we did in 30 years before 1992.

I'll also remind you that the recent 13th position, and the one 2 years ago, is down to the mess left by the manager you backed until the day he was sacked. And the sale of 2 of his most important and influential players. Which you still back.

You can't support the sale of your best players, then complain and blame people when the club is worse off because of it.

BTW, our league positions since 2001 of 4th, 3rd, 5th, 14th, 7th and 13th equal more than 1 "proper" entry into europe !!!!

He won't match this or reach the Champions League if he doesn't back his manager.

did you ever have a sense of humour ?

You must be shitting yourself that Ashley may not match the 3 consecutive top 5 finishes that we did for the first time in 50 years.

Whatever will you say if it transpires that Shepherd wasn't holding the club back from world glory after all ?

mackems.gif

Anyway, your mate macbeth is back, predictably, telling us all that 1m quid a season would have massively changed the clubs fortunes, so you can play at being his monkey again

I'm not shitting myself at all that Ashley might not match 3 consecutive top 5 finishes, are you? 

minimum requirement, wouldn't you agree ? How can he be even "as good as " if he doesn't match the best effort ?

This is also the level that you and all the other anti Shepherd whatever he does bashers have insisted is ours by right, and would be if not for his presence.

As for how well we'll do, I'll wait and see how it goes, even if we don't match the 3 top 5's, it doesn't mean Shepherd wasn't holding the club back,

this is precisely what you have been saying, and you know it.

remember the club he took over in 2nd place and left in 13th with an average league position while he was chairman of less than 9th and a record of having been beaten by Doug Ellis in a head to head of league finishes.

5th best average, and qualified more for europe than every other club bar 4, fact.

Put a link up to show where Macbeth has said that as extra £1 million a season would "make a massive difference."  You might be right about him saying that but I can't remember it.

Well, you must be blind. Its been picked up by another poster in this very thread.

The minimum record to beat is actually an average league position of 9.4 over 10 league seasons and an average points total of 53.4, that's what Shepherd achieved while Chairman.

Another link request, this time to any post on this forum where anybody has claimed that we have a right to anything.  Where have I said that we have to get 3 top 5 positions under anybody to prove that Shepherd wasn't holding us back?

I've just been through "this very thread" a few times and I can't even see a post where Macbeth has posted or been mentioned until you did it, my browser must be shite.

So, you don't think Shepherd has been holding us back after all then ?

Search for your mate, he posted yesterday in this thread or a similar one.

I'm with NE5 here. However you qualify for Europe, you did it and it should count as thus, none of this 'proper' entries or whatever. If we had won it during one of those years we qualified via the Intertoto or being in the FA Cup Final, would any of us have actually complained? Would we fuck.

Money earned from the club £50m plus in 10 years

I bet you when Ashley eventually leaves, he'll have earnt quite a bit as well. What do you think all these people are in the football industry for? They're not fucking Santa Claus. All of them - Lerner, Ashley, the US people at Liverpool, Glazers etc. - are in it for the money. They're businessmen and they'll be trying their damn near hardest to make a profit. Of course, in football, the only realistic way you can make a hefty profit and have long-term-ish stability is by 'creating' success on the football pitch.

Trophies = none

And this is the same for oh so many clubs at present. And it was the same for whoever ran the club from 1969 until Freddie took over, and this includes SJH btw. Man do I sound like NE5! Anyway, expecting a trophy is unrealistic. Shepherd tried his best, and imo failed, but his record is better than most of his predecessors. Plus, like NE5 has asked, would you rather us be a club like Boro or Leicester who won a League Cup here and there? Would you fuck.

Guest Knightrider

Trophies = none

Money spent = shit loads

Left the club = 13th

I will remind you that when we won the Fairs Cup, we qualified by the "back door".

It doesn't matter how you qualify, you qualify according to the rules. Finishing 7th in the league and reaching 2 FA Cup Finals in a period of less than a decade [without even the top 5 finishes thrown in for good measure] surpasses what we did in 30 years before 1992.

I'll also remind you that the recent 13th position, and the one 2 years ago, is down to the mess left by the manager you backed until the day he was sacked. And the sale of 2 of his most important and influential players. Which you still back.

You can't support the sale of your best players, then complain and blame people when the club is worse off because of it.

BTW, our league positions since 2001 of 4th, 3rd, 5th, 14th, 7th and 13th equal more than 1 "proper" entry into europe !!!!

Tongue in cheek regarding back door finishes mate, but lets be honest, our impressive European form doesn't quite reflect in our league form does it?

As for the Souness thing, howay, we've been over this before, I did back him of course as he was our manager, I never backed his appointment though - there is a difference, and it wasn't until his last days either, I was very critical of him a good while before that, just because I wasn't ranting and raving saying sack him, doesn't mean I didn't know the score, i.e. we were going nowhere with him in.

I actually backed Freddy's decision to get rid of Bellamy, as it was his decision, remember Bellamy lied to him to and pissed him about, FS took the moral highground and I agreed 100%, perhaps if he was as tough in general about things regarding standards, he'd still be here and I most certainly wouldn't be as critical as you know I've had issues with standards at the club for years.

Anyway he's gone, he did do some good, it wasn't all bad, but you can judge how good a job he did by the state of the club he left, which is in a bit of a mess compared to the club he took over.

It doesn't matter how you qualify, you qualify according to the rules. Finishing 7th in the league and reaching 2 FA Cup Finals in a period of less than a decade [without even the top 5 finishes thrown in for good measure] surpasses what we did in 30 years before 1992.

How did you feel when we finished 7th?  How did you feel when walking out of Wembley after losing to Arsenal and Man U?  I can tell you how I felt, I felt like shit and couldn't get home quick enough and I don't know a single Newcastle supporter who felt any better than I did.

I'll just remind you that the managers didn't appoint themselves, very few fans thought the last two managers were good enough, you seem to have changed your mind on Souness quick enough but you were more than happy with Roeder, most people were not.

You can't criticise fans who thought these were good enough (whether they did or not) while making it look as if it had nothing to do with the Chairman, just because others have appointed as bad or worse.

The arguing between you two should really stop man. It's obvious you have both cared about the club for a long long time and that you still care about it passionately. Just forgive whatever's been said in the past and move on innit? So many of the youngsters on the forum could really use a history lesson from the people who were actually there.

How did you feel when we finished 7th?  How did you feel when walking out of Wembley after losing to Arsenal and Man U?  I can tell you how I felt, I felt like shit and couldn't get home quick enough and I don't know a single Newcastle supporter who felt any better than I did.

I'll just remind you that the managers didn't appoint themselves, very few fans thought the last two managers were good enough, you seem to have changed your mind on Souness quick enough but you were more than happy with Roeder, most people were not.

You can't criticise fans who thought these were good enough (whether they did or not) while making it look as if it had nothing to do with the Chairman, just because others have appointed as bad or worse.

Quite enjoyed the runs to Wembley. Quite enjoyed the build up to the Final. Whatever anybody says, its the best round to lose in. However gutted you are. How gutted were you when we lost over the years to Hereford, Chester, Exeter, Peterborough etc etc etc....... a whole shitload of clubs.

Most people I have met over the years, apart from the obvious manu fans, Liverpool etc are jealous as shit that I have been to see 3 FA Cup Finals and a League Cup Final, walking down Wembley Way and all that goes with it. Even winning the semi finals and the pain and pleasure and the worry of wondering if you'll get your ticket for the Finals and the joy when it comes through the door.

Oh, and playing in the Champions League, and qualifying for europe regularly, and filling a big stadium, and buying major "trophy" players, I nearly forgot that, all of which has happened since 1992 and hardly at all before that.

Quite enjoyed the runs to Wembley. Quite enjoyed the build up to the Final. Whatever anybody says, its the best round to lose in. However gutted you are. How gutted were you when we lost over the years to Hereford, Chester, Exeter, Peterborough etc etc etc....... a whole shitload of clubs.

Most people I have met over the years, apart from the obvious manu fans, Liverpool etc are jealous as s*** that I have been to see 3 FA Cup Finals and a League Cup Final, walking down Wembley Way and all that goes with it. Even winning the semi finals and the pain and pleasure and the worry of wondering if you'll get your ticket for the Finals and the joy when it comes through the door.

Oh, and playing in the Champions League, and qualifying for europe regularly, and filling a big stadium, and buying major "trophy" players, I nearly forgot that, all of which has happened since 1992 and hardly at all before that.

I enjoyed the run up's to the finals but it's arguable about the best round to lose in, I felt better walking out of Wembley having lost to Chelsea than any of the others, I walked out feeling that we'd done ourselves justice, something we didn't do against Liverpool, Arsenal or Man U, I've never felt as low walking out of a match as I did against Man U, that could have been because it was the second time we'l lost in the final and realising that you don't get to finals too often, whatever the reason, it was the worst.

As for the "Giant Killings," they were bad but they're long gone, the same as losing to Birmingham last season 1-5 at home, none of those felt as bad as losing in the final.

I would say that for a 3 year period people were jealous of us but I've known plenty who were not when we were struggling in the lower reaches of the Premiership.

Guest Phil K

I don't think theres any doubt he gave of his best.

But Shepherd's "best" is the equivalent of a lot of chairmen's WORST.

I mean....Souness.....

Most people I have met over the years, apart from the obvious manu fans, Liverpool etc are jealous as s*** that I have been to see 3 FA Cup Finals and a League Cup Final, walking down Wembley Way and all that goes with it. Even winning the semi finals and the pain and pleasure and the worry of wondering if you'll get your ticket for the Finals and the joy when it comes through the door.

I enjoyed the run up's to the finals but it's arguable about the best round to lose in, I felt better walking out of Wembley having lost to Chelsea than any of the others, I walked out feeling that we'd done ourselves justice, something we didn't do against Liverpool, Arsenal or Man U, I've never felt as low walking out of a match as I did against Man U, that could have been because it was the second time we'l lost in the final and realising that you don't get to finals too often, whatever the reason, it was the worst.

As for the "Giant Killings," they were bad but they're long gone, the same as losing to Birmingham last season 1-5 at home, none of those felt as bad as losing in the final.

I would say that for a 3 year period people were jealous of us but I've known plenty who were not when we were struggling in the lower reaches of the Premiership.

Once again, your perspective is zero out of 10. Nobody in their right mind would prefer to lose the 3rd round than the Final, never have cup runs and never qualify for europe just because ultimately we didn't win the competitions, even if we did do ourselves justice in the chelsea game.  If you prefer the old regime of McKeag etc barely ever getting a sniff of anything, even including the top league for long spells, you're not with me, and quite a lot of people too I suspect.

Its a bad feeling if you lose the final, because the glare is on you, as it was as you go through the rounds and enjoy it when you win, but if you don't want to compete for these prizes and risk the feeling of defeat in these games of high stakes, there is absolutely no point in being a football supporter.

In accordance with Apisiths request, I'll refrain from commenting further.