Mort sets the record straight

Guest sicko2ndbest

Great to hear those comments, getting the foundations right is what builds a strong house.

Interesting about the debt, suggests there was stuff hidden from general public knowledge, though not surprising.

Everyone should take heart from reading that, very uplifting.

Oh, and I should add. "You'd be amazed at the quality of player that wants to sign for us." That might finally be coming true over the next couple of years. :)

can we now retrospectively ban all the fuckwits

Another spell on the sidelines awaits, Vic.

you won't have found me spouting absolute shite about reviews and debts stopping transfers or that Sam had no money

did you?

No, we found you posting the groundbreaking news that Soccerbase's league table was borked.

Guest Invicta_Toon

you won't have found me spouting absolute shite about reviews and debts stopping transfers or that Sam had no money

did you?

No, we found you posting the groundbreaking news that Soccerbase's league table was borked.

aye, should have posted a 'news' story instead I guess

Those expecting a rollercoaster ride of fast spending, showbiz signings and delicious soundbites might be disappointed with Newcastle’s new chairman, but those who want to see their football club finally have clear direction and a long-term plan should be thrilled by his presence in the boardroom.

This quote pretty much sums things up for me.  I'm in the second camp, but far too many remain in the first imo.

A lot of people were took in by the rumoured £50 million the papers were banding about, they see other clubs splashing the cash and feel as if we're missing out.

Personally I'd be happy if we only signed a left back and a centre back this window, they could be more free transfers for all I care as long as they're good enough, not getting them would be a bollock dropped though and after last summer I won't be taking anything for granted until I see them with the shirt on.

Aye I agree.  Like you, I think just getting a left back and a centre half in could make all the difference.  If we got a decent right back in too, all the better.  I think medium term, significant investment will be required and will be made, but I would sooner it was done in a slow and steady manner as long as I can see things going in the right direction.  We've done the quick-fix spending for years and it's got us nowhere.

I'm not taking the piss here btw, but have you been on a wind up for the last month or something, cos your outlook seems to have changed dramatically in the space of a few days.

With Allardyce talking about wanting big defenders I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play Taylor right back, especially with the lack of alternatives out there at the moment.

As for taking things slowly and getting the club ran properly, it's what I've been banging on about for over a year in arguments with Leazes when he posted on Toontastic, especially the debt we've been carrying, we've tried the quick fix way and while we had some success that way we were never going to be able to maintain that level of spending without a long term plan to become debt free, hopefully this Mort bloke will be the man to get it sorted.

Have I been on the wind up? I suppose I have in a way but I was (and still am) genuinely worried about going into the season without the players we need, as I've said we heard it all last summer how we'd get the players in we need but ended up with the likes of Bernard at the last minute, I've got alot more faith in Allardyce but there's still a question mark over Mort and his ability to deliver, Sam's comments haven't helped the situation either if I'm being honest.

Much better.

Some words from Ashley would be nice as well though.

Why?

Because its good to talk.

Puts the dirty London media in its place as well.

No it wouldn't, it'd just set it off even more.

Much better.

Why?

No it wouldn't.

Aye.  Weird isn't it?  I love the fact that we barely hear from this bloke, but that when we do it's worth listening to.  Honestly the more this goes on the more I think the press/other fans are spot on in their assessment of a sizeable minority of our fans.  They want razzmatazz and soundbites more than they want a club that's run correctly.

That's exactly how I feel, when he talks you get some sense out of him which isn't something we've had for a while, I keep saying it but it is refreshing.  Everything he's said is what I would have wanted/expected him to say if he was doing the job right.

I think he's making a mistake if he doesn't move his family up here but he'll learn that one for himself.  It will help him at first as he can bang the hours in without having to rush home to a wife but after a while he'll not need to work 24/7 and that's when he'll get pissed off.  Having said that, it wouldn't hurt his pocket too much if he got the first plane up here on a morning and the last plane back down on a night, it's only 40 minutes to Heathrow from Newcastle.

I think there has been a lack of communication with Allardyce too, though he will have known more than us. But didn't they just meet again for talks two or three days ago. Hopefully Sam is more relaxed now, as we should be also.

Much better.

We don't really need to hear from Ashley as Mort knows more about the club than him, it would be good to see Ashley at the match though as that would be a sign that he's interested in the same things as we are and not just the money.

His attendance or non-attendance will send a message, if he doesn't go then it's an investment, if he does go then it could be out of interest in the footballing side.

Much better.

We don't really need to hear from Ashley as Mort knows more about the club than him, it would be good to see Ashley at the match though as that would be a sign that he's interested in the same things as we are and not just the money.

His attendance or non-attendance will send a message, if he doesn't go then it's an investment, if he does go then it could be out of interest in the footballing side.

I'd like to think its more than just an investment to him, if its not then he's made the wrong decision in buying the club.

The best thing about that interview is that Edwards got it, Roadkill-face Oliver will have to keep guessing (badly)

Splendid

I think there has been a lack of communication with Allardyce too, though he will have known more than us. But didn't they just meet again for talks two or three days ago. Hopefully Sam is more relaxed now, as we should be also.

They did meet according to the media, so what?  I meet my boss every single day of my working life unless one of us is on holiday.

Much better.

Why?

No it wouldn't.

So you honestly think Ashley talking in public would shut the media up saying "okay we were wrong"? They'd just use Ashley's words as fuel to write more crap.

Much better.

Why?

No it wouldn't.

So you honestly think Ashley talking in public would shut the media up saying "okay we were wrong"? They'd just use Ashley's words as fuel to write more crap.

When have the media ever admitted they are wrong?  mackems.gif

It stops them writing anything else in the future about him wanting to sell up, ATM they can write daft stories like that and there is nothing to quash it.

Much better.

Why?

No it wouldn't.

It stops them writing anything else in the future about him wanting to sell up, ATM they can write daft stories like that and there is nothing to quash it.

It's better that it stays that way, if you keep responding to the media, they'll only write more and more crap about you. Don't feed them any information and they'll write tabloid stories which hold no credibility, once you start responding to them they'll make up new conspiracies (using what you said) which actually resemble credibility.

Much better.

Why?

No it wouldn't.

It's better that it stays that way, if you keep responding to the media, they'll only write more and more crap about you. Don't feed them any information and they'll write tabloid stories which hold no credibility, once you start responding to them they'll make up new conspiracies (using what you said) which actually resemble credibility.

I know what you mean, but if its to the fans it bypasses them and now there is no reason for anyone to believe anything they say.

I hope Mort isn't going to do all his speaking for him, it would be shame for him to take such a back seat.

Hmm I see what you mean Taylor, but I have a feeling that that's exactly what's going to happen. Ashley's always been known to be a secret man, so Mort is probably his puppet that he talks through.

With Allardyce talking about wanting big defenders I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play Taylor right back, especially with the lack of alternatives out there at the moment.

As for taking things slowly and getting the club ran properly, it's what I've been banging on about for over a year in arguments with Leazes when he posted on Toontastic, especially the debt we've been carrying, we've tried the quick fix way and while we had some success that way we were never going to be able to maintain that level of spending without a long term plan to become debt free, hopefully this Mort bloke will be the man to get it sorted.

Have I been on the wind up? I suppose I have in a way but I was (and still am) genuinely worried about going into the season without the players we need, as I've said we heard it all last summer how we'd get the players in we need but ended up with the likes of Bernard at the last minute, I've got alot more faith in Allardyce but there's still a question mark over Mort and his ability to deliver, Sam's comments haven't helped the situation either if I'm being honest.

We don't need plans, some actually think that's true.   bluelaugh.gif

If we can put the clubs problems right fast then we should but as long as we are making progress and moving forwards then I'm happy, sometimes you can try to go far too fast and you just end up making mistakes, we've done that.  We need to get everything right from top to bottom and then we really will start moving in the right direction.  I can only think that people who don't think we need to work with plans have never been in business and don't know what they're talking about.

I agree that Allardyce hasn't helped with his comments but I'm quite happy that Mort can deliver and that both men will work well together once they've worked each other out.

Hmm I see what you mean Taylor, but I have a feeling that that's exactly what's going to happen. Ashley's always been known to be a secret man, so Mort is probably his puppet that he talks through.

Maybe its good to have an owner who uses his head only and stays out of the way. I just think owning a football club, especially one so big would be a fantastic ride and could possibly do him some favours and bring him out of his shell.

Lets hope he at least attends some matches, good start.

They did meet according to the media, so what?  I meet my boss every single day of my working life unless one of us is on holiday.

Hmm, I was actually replying to a post of Baggio's. More specifically his last paragraph. In the meantime three other posts arrvive making it look, perhaps, as though I was replying to you.

BAGGIO: Have I been on the wind up? I suppose I have in a way but I was (and still am) genuinely worried about going into the season without the players we need, as I've said we heard it all last summer how we'd get the players in we need but ended up with the likes of Bernard at the last minute, I've got alot more faith in Allardyce but there's still a question mark over Mort and his ability to deliver, Sam's comments haven't helped the situation either if I'm being honest.

And then me: I think there has been a lack of communication with Allardyce too, though he will have known more than us. But didn't they just meet again for talks two or three days ago. Hopefully Sam is more relaxed now, as we should be also.

I see I'll have to use [ quote ] more often.

Yes, as long as we get in around 2-3 defenders before the transfer window shuts I'm happy. The only thing I fear is Allardyce losing the support of the board and being sacked after one season because he can't reach an unreachable target. However this interview says we don't have specific targets for this season so that's a good thing, I really hope Allardyce is given around three years to really develop this club, a contract extension so that he can enjoy the fruits of his labour in 4-5 years time would also be nice.

Guest Verlaine

you won't have found me spouting absolute s**** about reviews and debts stopping transfers or that Sam had no money

did you?

Probably because you weren't allowed to post on the football forum for a bit. You still, however, managed to spout absolutel shite about everything else.

Yes, as long as we get in around 2-3 defenders before the transfer window shuts I'm happy. The only thing I fear is Allardyce losing the support of the board and being sacked after one season because he can't reach an unreachable target. However this interview says we don't have specific targets for this season so that's a good thing, I really hope Allardyce is given around three years to really develop this club, a contract extension so that he can enjoy the fruits of his labour in 4-5 years time would also be nice.

SA's arrival is just if not more important than the new board. I'd rather get rid of them than him right now!

We've got an up and coming manager who'll drag this club into the 21st Century kicking and screaming if necessary and he's doing that already. I hope he goes beyond his contract here, i believe he's the man for us and the foreseeable future. We need stability, we need continuity, for the 1st time in ages we have someone who's here to stay, has a plan, and has a fresh ideas, even under SBR we were all waiting for him to leave due to his age, SA is perfect age as well, with lots to give in the future.

Hmm, I was actually replying to a post of Baggio's. More specifically his last paragraph. In the meantime three other posts arrvive making it look, perhaps, as though I was replying to you.

BAGGIO: Have I been on the wind up? I suppose I have in a way but I was (and still am) genuinely worried about going into the season without the players we need, as I've said we heard it all last summer how we'd get the players in we need but ended up with the likes of Bernard at the last minute, I've got alot more faith in Allardyce but there's still a question mark over Mort and his ability to deliver, Sam's comments haven't helped the situation either if I'm being honest.

And then me: I think there has been a lack of communication with Allardyce too, though he will have known more than us. But didn't they just meet again for talks two or three days ago. Hopefully Sam is more relaxed now, as we should be also.

I see I'll have to use [ quote ] more often.

I knew you were replying to Baggio, it doesn't make any difference, if we only replied to somebody who was replying to us then we'd never post as we'd never get past the first post of any thread as the original wouldn't be in reply to anybody so nobody could reply to that.