Why do we bother with Shola?

Parky

Guest Andy_M

Smith, however, is a decent squad player. Probably not good enough to be an automatic choice on the forward line, but can come in, and do a job in a number of positions. That's a good squad player.

Shola is just shit.

Shola for us is like Fowler was for Liverpool last season. Loves the club, doesn't want to leave, happy to be back-up. A big club like Liverpool realise that he wasn't a good enough first team player, and that if you have big ambitions, that you need players as back up that are good enough to be in the first team as back up. They let Fowler go, despite him being content to be back up and despite his obvious natural ability.

For me, that's why we aren't a top club anymore. We settle for below par squad players where the big clubs replace them with better players. I'd player Fowler ahead of Shola every day of the week, yet the former wasn't a good enough squad player for Liverpool, so why should the latter be good enough for us.

Fowler's a poor example to make your point. There's no doubting his talent, but he was probably let go for other reasons than football. Lifestyle off the pitch; fitness possibly; sniffing coke again...who knows? Maybe he's just past it?

Guest Andy_M

Shola for us is like Fowler was for Liverpool last season. Loves the club, doesn't want to leave, happy to be back-up. A big club like Liverpool realise that he wasn't a good enough first team player, and that if you have big ambitions, that you need players as back up that are good enough to be in the first team as back up. They let Fowler go, despite him being content to be back up and despite his obvious natural ability.

For me, that's why we aren't a top club anymore. We settle for below par squad players where the big clubs replace them with better players. I'd player Fowler ahead of Shola every day of the week, yet the former wasn't a good enough squad player for Liverpool, so why should the latter be good enough for us.

Fowler's a poor example to make your point. There's no doubting his talent, but he was probably let go for other reasons than football. Lifestyle off the pitch; fitness possibly; sniffing coke again...who knows? Maybe he's just past it?

Bollocks. Even if he is past it, his current ability is better than Shola's.

Bollocks. Let's sign Andy Cole then.

Guest Andy_M

Can't see him being happy to be back up. However, if he was, he's better than Shola.

Can't see him being happy to be back up. However, if he was, he's better than Shola.

Is there anyone who isn't better than Shola? Pete Doherty perhaps? There's another cokehead whose past his prime...should we make a bid?

Guest Andy_M

Is there anyone who isn't better than Shola? Pete Doherty perhaps? There's another cokehead whose past his prime...should we make a bid?

He's not a footballer though. Just being silly now, tbh.

Guest Phil K

Shola to footballer is as Glen Roeder is to master tactician

Now that is REALLY unfair on Shola.

Glenn is to management and tactics what Big Brother is to intelligent TV.

At least Shola gets the ball into the net from time to time - a reasonably decent strike rate actually.

Guest Andy_M

At least the players we are comparing to are good enough to have actually had a prime. That shows ability. That ability makes them a more suitable back-up than a player who won't have a prime, because his career will be spent as a fringe player.

Guest Andy_M

At least Shola gets the ball into the net from time to time - a reasonably decent strike rate actually.

Bullshit. A reasonable strike rate when you take out a very small section of his career. That's called manipulating statistics. His actual strike rate is horrible.

Guest Phil K

Bullshit. A reasonable strike rate when you take out a very small section of his career. That's called manipulating statistics. His actual strike rate is horrible.

You include part games as full games ?

Is his strike rate any worse than Owen's has been post-comeback ?

(WHAT comeback, you may ask !) Give the lad a break FFS

Guest Andy_M

You include part games as full games ?

Is his strike rate any worse than Owen's has been post-comeback ?

(WHAT comeback, you may ask !) Give the lad a break FFS

Give him a break why? I'm simply expressing my opinion that he's not good enough to be in our squad. Of course, you just have to look at other clubs striking options to know he isn't good enough.

The club we should be comparing ourselves to around now is Spurs. They've got Keane, Berbatov, Bent and Defore. All are good enough first team players. That's what you need, 4 good options that are good enough for a first team. All of those players are better than Ameobi. It's just a relief that we're finally going into a season where we have so many options that he might not get near the pitch for once.

You say I'm being silly, but you would seriously consider Cole, a player released from his contract by Fulham (!) despite all that crap you spouted about signing the best. Tell me then, which player would you sign to be our 5th choice striker? Apart from Cole that is.

Guest Andy_M

You say I'm being silly, but you would seriously consider Cole, a player released from his contract by Fulham (!) despite all that crap you spouted about signing the best. Tell me then, which player would you sign to be our 5th choice striker? Apart from Cole that is.

I don't think we need a 5th choice striker. If for some reason the other 4 can't play, then give a young lad like Carroll a go. Somebody who might actually get good. Shola is past that point, you can give him chance after chance, he's not going to get better.

Guest Phil K

Give him a break why? I'm simply expressing my opinion that he's not good enough to be in our squad. Of course, you just have to look at other clubs striking options to know he isn't good enough.

The club we should be comparing ourselves to around now is Spurs. They've got Keane, Berbatov, Bent and Defore. All are good enough first team players. That's what you need, 4 good options that are good enough for a first team. All of those players are better than Ameobi. It's just a relief that we're finally going into a season where we have so many options that he might not get near the pitch for once.

Spuds ??????

Jesus - now I KNOW you don't know what you're talking about.

I don't think we need a 5th choice striker. If for some reason the other 4 can't play, then give a young lad like Carroll a go. Somebody who might actually get good. Shola is past that point, you can give him chance after chance, he's not going to get better.

Carroll has never delivered at the highest level, Shola has.

Guest Phil K

Spuds !!!?!?????

Bollocks. Even if Fowler is past it, his current ability is better than Shola's.

And this idiotic quote confirms it.

Guest Andy_M

Spuds ??????

Explain

Guest Andy_M

And Shola is incapable of delivering to the necessary standard consistantly. Shola doesn't have the potential to do this, whereas a younger player might.

Spuds !!!?!?????

Bollocks. Even if Fowler is past it, his current ability is better than Shola's.

A classic example of people having opinions but they may as well be doing a goldfish face and talking in Swahili for all the sense it makes.

And Shola is incapable of delivering to the necessary standard consistantly. Shola doesn't have the potential to do this, whereas a younger player might.

Or Robbie Fowler?  :lol:

Guest Andy_M

:lol: So one of the most natural finishers the premiership has ever seen isn't as good as Shola "push over the opponent and concede a free kick, ball hits off my shin and that's my first touch" Ameobi? :lol: Is that what you're saying :lol: And you're referring to MY quote as idiotic. Fuck me.

Guest Andy_M

Or Robbie Fowler?  :lol:

My point about Fowler was that he was content as back up and Liverpool got rid. I merely compared his situation to Shola's. I didn't say we should sign Fowler dipshit. ;)

:lol: So one of the most natural finishers the premiership has ever seen isn't as good as Shola "push over the opponent and concede a free kick, ball hits off my shin and that's my first touch" Ameobi? :lol: Is that what you're saying :lol: And you're referring to MY quote as idiotic. Fuck me.

You said 'current' ability. The idiot comment still stands as far as i'm concerned. If you asked all 20 prem managers to take Fowler or Shola this season, who do you think they would choose?

:lol: So one of the most natural finishers the premiership has ever seen isn't as good as Shola "push over the opponent and concede a free kick, ball hits off my shin and that's my first touch" Ameobi? :lol: Is that what you're saying :lol: And you're referring to MY quote as idiotic. f*** me.

How many goals did Fowler score from open play in the Premiership last season?