Why do we bother with Shola?

Parky

Decent squad player who’s ambition is beyond his ability (which is why I don’t think he is settling for a place on the bench) and I would prefer that than someone like Babayaro who seems to pick and choose his games.

That said it would be interesting to know exactly how many of his last 50 or so games he has been fit for he has had to settle for the bench? I am guessing he will have played quite a few of them and I am pretty sure he would have been a first choice last season.

Obviously this season he is going to have a lot more competition but as said his ambition is beyond what he can actually perform to so in his head I don’t think he is just settling for the bench.

He isn’t as bad as people like to make out and I seem to remember some very good defenders (Sol Campbell for one) commenting on how much of a handful he is to play against.

Bet you Shola's goals per game ratio compares pretty well with Smith's.

Which won't be anything to shout about since Ameobi is gonna be the 2nd choice big man striker, while Smith is gonna be playing deeper and will get less games than Ameobi up top.

Well, I was thinking, up until now, rather than this season coming, but I take your point.

I just looked at their records. Shola one goal in 4.8 games; Smith one in 4.7. Yeah, Smith has spent more time playing deeper, but he's also made way more starts. Forty percent of Shola's appearances were from the bench; Smith's, only 20 percent.

Plus its not as if Shola has been the "main man" during his united career, seem to remember another player we based most of our attacks on.....

He'll forever remain a backup player for me and nothing more. Hes had all the opportunities in the world at this club and should never expect to be 1st choice.

I'd say if he does nothing special this year, he'll most likely be ousted next summer...............as always tho, I'd love to see him scoring freely for us

Decent squad player who’s ambition is beyond his ability (which is why I don’t think he is settling for a place on the bench) and I would prefer that than someone like Babayaro who seems to pick and choose his games.

That said it would be interesting to know exactly how many of his last 50 or so games he has been fit for he has had to settle for the bench? I am guessing he will have played quite a few of them and I am pretty sure he would have been a first choice last season.

Obviously this season he is going to have a lot more competition but as said his ambition is beyond what he can actually perform to so in his head I don’t think he is just settling for the bench.

He isn’t as bad as people like to make out and I seem to remember some very good defenders (Sol Campbell for one) commenting on how much of a handful he is to play against.

I agree. If Shola went elsewhere, I don't think it's beyond possibility that he could do quite well as a target man. Injury-free, he is definitely a handful, and not a bad finisher. I don't think he's quite ruthless enough for a top club though - but I'd be happy to see him on our bench.

Decent squad player whos ambition is beyond his ability (which is why I dont think he is settling for a place on the bench) and I would prefer that than someone like Babayaro who seems to pick and choose his games.

Obviously this season he is going to have a lot more competition but as said his ambition is beyond what he can actually perform to so in his head I dont think he is just settling for the bench.

He isnt as bad as people like to make out and I seem to remember some very good defenders (Sol Campbell for one) commenting on how much of a handful he is to play against.

I agree. If Shola went elsewhere, I don't think it's beyond possibility that he could do quite well as a target man. Injury-free, he is definitely a handful, and not a bad finisher. I don't think he's quite ruthless enough for a top club though - but I'd be happy to see him on our bench.

I hate the idea of a player on the bench with such a lack of vision/ability. He would be a good striker in the Championship, but even WE are above his level, and we aren't a "big" club. He might even fit into a Wigan, or a (pre-biscuit millions) West Ham.

If we can get rid, and get a young player with soem potential, i'd be a damned sight happier.

Guest Magpiecn

dont hope our player who is good but not top level warm the bench.

The game against Sampdoria (and one instance in particular) reminded me how depressingly turgid Shola is with the ball at his feet.

But then he can look quite clever with his feet as well...maybe he should stick to easy stuff like laying it off instead of twisting and turning with the ball...but then he wouldn't be a handful any more.

The game against Sampdoria (and one instance in particular) reminded me how depressingly turgid Shola is with the ball at his feet.

But then he can look quite clever with his feet as well...maybe he should stick to easy stuff like laying it off instead of twisting and turning with the ball...but then he wouldn't be a handful any more.

Can we really ask a PREMIERSHIP striekr to "stick to the easy stuff", and not expect to look like twats?

Can we really ask a PREMIERSHIP striekr to "stick to the easy stuff", and not expect to look like twats?

Don't really understand what you are saying. Can you rephrase it?

Where do you think our natural position currently lies? 6th to 9th in the league?

If so, and i think it is in honesty, then how can we have a "young" striker on the bench, who we might have to bring on for tactical or injury reasons,  who's ability is so limited that all we can ask him to do is lay the ball off?

Out "second choice" strike force should be pushing and pushing for a first team spot, not someone we wince when we realise we HAVE to play them for soem unfortunate reason.

Where do you think our natural position currently lies? 6th to 9th in the league?

If so, and i think it is in honesty, then how can we have a "young" striker on the bench, who we might have to bring on for tactical or injury reasons,  who's ability is so limited that all we can ask him to do is lay the ball off?

Out "second choice" strike force should be pushing and pushing for a first team spot, not someone we wince when we realise we HAVE to play them for soem unfortunate reason.

That was my whole poi9nt though. He DOESN'T just lay the ball off. He feints, runs at defenders with the ball, generally tries harder stuff than 'just laying the ball off' which is part of the reason why he loses the ball - similar to Martins. This is what makes him a handful but it can also make him look clumsy when it doesn't come off. To answer your question I'm quite happy to have him on the bench as he's quite capable of changing a game. Yes I'd prefer a young hotshot instead, when we get one then we can sell Shola.

My point was more about him being slow as f*** than not having any skill btw.

Slow players can't usually run past players...although Gazza did, so maybe it doesn't matter if they aren't Linford Christie type sprinters.

Guest eyeball_tickler

he said recently that "I am not getting any younger and the days of having potential and promise are over". he's nearly 26, that excuse should have expired years ago. he simply has never been good enough for us, and never will for where we want to be. how he's survived this many managers i'll never know.

i think shola is a good player but everyone just keeps getting on his back

He is nowhere near as bad as people would like to tell you. He can do an adequate job as a back up striker. We have better but God knows why people want to give one our players grief at the match. Sadly he gets it.

Even when its on here its bad enough. Some just won't accept some players.

He shouldnt be in the first team if we aspire to much but there are several others, much admired by some people here, who are in that boat. Like them, he will provide decent cover.

Shola will get his chances this season. I think he's the type of player Sam likes. Difficult to play against and awkward.

What i have noticed is that he has improved considerabley in the air. He's a good back up who will alwyas gives his all but thats about it i'm afraid.

With Owen, Viduka, Smith and Martins in front on him I think we should be ok. Who do people expect us to have as 5th choice striker?

With Owen, Viduka, Smith and Martins in front on him I think we should be ok. Who do people expect us to have as 5th choice striker?

A ferocious, hungry, bitchin, snarling wolf in his late teens....Crocking def in practice games....Doing push ups with his tongue etc... :razz: