Barton hits the net on return to action

NSG

Source

HIS Newcastle United team-mates may not have scored in last weekend's goalless draw with Aston Villa, but Magpies midfielder Joey Barton had few problems hitting the net today.

The footballer took part in a police-backed angling scheme for young people at Witton Park, near Bishop Auckland in County Durham, and managed to catch a number of fish.

Barton was at the headquarters of Get Hooked on Fishing, which was launched by County Durham police officer PC Mick Watson seven years ago.

There are now centres across the country and Barton visited the 40-acre site to join youngsters involved with the scheme.

The England international used to fish when he was younger, and his involvement was arranged through the Sporting Chance charity.

He fulfilled the engagement despite having flown to London and back for a scan on his injured fifth metatarsal which has ruled him out of Newcastle's opening games.

"It's a great initiative and it's something that would have benefited us as kids," he said.

"It takes kids away from troublesome spots and gives them the chance to spend some time doing this.

"I've got the bug back a bit from doing this and I think the gaffer (Sam Allardyce) wants me to find another sport instead of golf, so I could see myself doing this more in the future."

PC Hutchinson said: "We are delighted to have Joey Barton on board. In our area alone, more than 1,200 young people have taken part in the scheme since it started and it continues to be a real success story."

-------------------------------------------------------

Good on him on getting involved in local activities, not sitting round like a pleb while he's injured :thup:

Seems like a canny bloke tbh, apart from beating people up and putting cigars out on people.

Just a couple of minor personality flaws then.......

Guest teepee

that's what i thought - but almost all footballers play it.

maybe it is because he is not allowed around objects that ca appear as weapons :D

Guest teepee

maybe because it is quite hard to play when you have a broken foot.

i'm sure sam doesnt have to tell him if he cannot walk - even barton cannot be that stupid...

Guest elbee909

Seems like a canny bloke tbh, apart from beating people up and putting cigars out on people.

Always someone with an axe to grind.

And Joey Barton is more likely to be the one using the axe.  On a fish, hopefully, rather than a human being.

maybe because it is quite hard to play when you have a broken foot.

i'm sure sam doesnt have to tell him if he cannot walk - even barton cannot be that stupid...

remember he is a footballer, and they are not renowned for their intelligence.

not saying he had to be told, but you  never know.

Guest Ridzuan

Nothing interesting here but just posting it for those who wants to read..

Joey Barton has no regrets about switching Manchester City for Newcastle, despite seeing his former employers at the top of the Premier League.

The midfield dynamo has seen the start to his Newcastle career delayed by an injury he picked up in pre-season.

While watching from the sidelines, Barton has seen his old club City move to the top of the Premier League after recording three wins out of three.

Barton wishes his former employers well, but insists he is focusing all his efforts on getting back fit for Newcastle.

"I want City to do well," Barton told Sky Sports News. "I still have got a lot of friends at club and people there who helped me get to the position I'm in.

"Of course I want Manchester City to do well.

"In an ideal world City would finish second and Newcastle win the league.

"It is early days, three games gone and I have heard Sven [Goran Eriksson] come out and speak about it.

"It is marathon not a sprint and hopefully City will do well but Newcastle do just that little bit better."

Barton is currently recovering from his broken metatarsal and he is hoping to make his return to action in September.

The all-action midfielder is hoping to get the all-clear to step up his return to fitness when he goes for his latest check-up.

"When the body tells you that you are ready to go we push on to the next level," added Barton.

"It feels a lot better than it did this time last week so we will see the doctor who did the operation in a week's time and hopefully he gives me the all-clear to push on to the next level."

The injury forced Barton to miss England's friendly with Germany and the midfielder says he has put his international ambitions on the backburner to concentrate on establishing himself in the Newcastle side.

"As a professional footballer and having played for England before the appetite is whetted, but the main goal for me is getting back fit and playing for Newcastle United," noted Barton.

"England as good as it is and as proud as you are to play for your country is a little bit out of my thinking at the minute."

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_2680173,00.html