Is European football just an excuse

Guest unrealterrorist

Guest unrealterrorist

Any body really thought why is European competition is so important to footballers Christ look at some of the teamS we have played in Europe in the past. I think the possibility of winning a trophy(FA Cup) or trying to going for the premier would be good enough for them to want to come here since we. Are a club going forward(Well that what everybody is saying). Would you rather go to Bolton or Everton cause they are in Europe because I know I bloody wouldn't.

The thing about the stigma of European football is that to the average footballer if a club is in one of the two competitions then "they must be challenging for the top six in their league," which is where any ambitious player wants to be.

Ignoring the anomaly that was Millwall and the possibilities of teams getting there as runners up in cup competitions you can understand the reason why it is spouted as important.

Guest helios_centric

I can understand players wanting to play in the Champions League, but why anyone would set their sights on merely being 'in Europe' by qualifying for the joke that the UEFA Cup is beyond me. However, it does seem to attract players for some reason.

The level is pretty dire overall in that and it's no test playing against mostly mediocre opponents in half-full stadia on a Thursday night live on Channel 5.

I don't think they will ever return the UEFA Cup to being a highly competitive tournament by only allowing the actual Champions into the Champions' League, so we are stuck with this watered down version that teams who qualify for try to kid themselves is a bona fide European competition.

I can understand players wanting to play in the Champions League, but why anyone would set their sights on merely being 'in Europe' by qualifying for the joke that the UEFA Cup is beyond me. However, it does seem to attract players for some reason.

The level is pretty dire overall in that and it's no test playing against mostly mediocre opponents in half-full stadia on a Thursday night live on Channel 5.

I don't think they will ever return the UEFA Cup to being a highly competitive tournament by only allowing the actual Champions into the Champions' League, so we are stuck with this watered down version that teams who qualify for try to kid themselves is a bona fide European competition.

bitter, bitter, bitter

bitter, bitter, bitter

I think people were saying the same thing last year tbh, the UEFA cup only gets interesting around the quarter finals mark once all the teams who, let's be honest, are just making up the numbers have been knocked out. I mean when you think about it, for our team to have progressed so far under Roeder and Souness, can it really be seen as a prestigeous competition? 'Boro in the Final?

It's quite sad that the thing that has been keeping our hopes up for the last few years has been beating the likes of Zulte-Waregem, Levadia Tallinn, FK Ventspils et al, only for us to trip up when we finally meet a decent team (bit harsh mind, we beat some decent teams last season). Not inspiring, would love to win it but as far as priorities go I would prefer the carling cup as I believe it's harder to win.

There is only one european competition as far as I'm concerned and it's not the UEFA cup. Any player who would go to a team because they qualified for that competition is probably a crack addict.

bitter, bitter, bitter

I think people were saying the same thing last year tbh, the UEFA cup only gets interesting around the quarter finals mark once all the teams who, let's be honest, are just making up the numbers have been knocked out. I mean when you think about it, for our team to have progressed so far under Roeder and Souness, can it really be seen as a prestigeous competition? 'Boro in the Final?

It's quite sad that the thing that has been keeping our hopes up for the last few years has been beating the likes of Zulte-Waregem, Levadia Tallinn, FK Ventspils et al, only for us to trip up when we finally meet a decent team (bit harsh mind, we beat some decent teams last season). Not inspiring, would love to win it but as far as priorities go I would prefer the carling cup as I believe it's harder to win.

There is only one european competition as far as I'm concerned and it's not the UEFA cup. Any player who would go to a team because they qualified for that competition is probably a crack addict.

Its a measure of success- a team which is in europe is atm more successful than a team out of europe. Players and crack-addicts alike choose to play for more successful teams.

The competition has been devalued but it's still a one worth winning and one that attracts players. It's pretty decent (as has been alluded to) in the latter stages. It obviously doesn't have the pull of the Champions League but it is 'a measure of success'. The competition is weak early on obviously and the 5 team group stage where 3 qualify is particularly tedious but I'd still do a sex wee if we ever won the thing.

The competition has been devalued but it's still a one worth winning and one that attracts players. It's pretty decent (as has been alluded to) in the latter stages. It obviously doesn't have the pull of the Champions League but it is 'a measure of success'. The competition is weak early on obviously and the 5 team group stage where 3 qualify is particularly tedious but I'd still do a sex wee if we ever won the thing.

What would make you sex wee more though, Uefa cup or Carling Cup?

There is no right or wrong answer, unless it's different to mine!

Nobody asked me...

i'll answer anyway  :shifty:  if its attracting players you want then you can't do much better than winning UEFA. Carling cup is about as useless as a stripper pole in a church, internationally.

Nobody asked me...

i'll answer anyway  :shifty:  if its attracting players you want then you can't do much better than winning UEFA. Carling cup is about as useless as a stripper pole in a church, internationally.

What would make you sex-wee more though (excluding the stripper pole obviously)

hmm... Uefa most probably, but it all depends.. if we end up beating a manyoo, a chelsea, a liverpool in the final of the carling cup then i'd have to go for that instead.

Uefa cup is a big deal though and, if we won, it would really boost our standings in world football

I'd much rather we won the Uefa Cup.

Look CL IS important, Euro football in general isn't. Players are attracted to a club if they have faith in the manager and can see the ambition...Something being built with a purpose. A few Uefa cup games here and there aren't really an issue. If you can't attract players if you're not in the Uefa Cup then you shouldn't really be running a football club or managing it.

Look CL IS important, Euro football in general isn't. Players are attracted to a club if they have faith in the manager and can see the ambition...Something being built with a purpose. A few Uefa cup games here and there aren't really an issue. If you can't attract players if you're not in the Uefa Cup then you shouldn't really be running a football club or managing it.

European football is important, players want to be associated with a club that has a high league position and european football is that indication. as alex nad i mentioned before its a measure of success.. another thing to add to the club's CV so-to-speak

A player who just joins a club who are in europe isn't as valuable as a player who joins a club he believes in and wants to help make them a success, imo. Not too many of them around but I do think Barton, Rozenhal and hopefully Enrique too fit that category.

A player who just joins a club who are in europe isn't as valuable as a player who joins a club he believes in and wants to help make them a success, imo. Not too many of them around but I do think Barton, Rozenhal and hopefully Enrique too fit that category.

true but if a plethora of clubs are after a certain player (assuming the wages are the same) that player will undoubtedly pick a more successful team.

true but if a plethora of clubs are after a certain player (assuming the wages are the same) that player will undoubtedly pick a more successful team.

I haven't noticed Man City have any problems.

I haven't noticed Man City have any problems.

There are lots of factors but using Parky's example if I was a player and had the choice of Bolton or Man City (pre season, even before Sven arrived) I would say joining Bolton would be the wrong move, even though they had european football.

This would be due to the size of crowd, potential, history etc at City outweighing a few games against some Estonians at Bolton