You're The Ref

Guest Geordiesned

In that infamous 3 booking World Cup game our very own Mark Viduka actually told Poll that he had yellow carded the player twice without sending him off.

If he had listened he might have 'got' the final.

Arrogant bastard.

...which reminds me, Rob Styles pretty much got away with booking Essien twice last weekend

In that infamous 3 booking World Cup game our very own Mark Viduka actually told Poll that he had yellow carded the player twice without sending him off.

Arrogant bastard.

...which reminds me, Rob Styles pretty much got away with booking Essien twice last weekend

If by 'got away with' you mean being banned for several matches.

If you haven't blown for the free kick, and in the box the attacker is still having his shirt pulled, its a penalty.

Silly defender tbh.

That's my reading of it. And incidentally, if you're being held back, it's a foul regardless of whether or not you go down. Refs are much more inclined to give penalties for a trip rather than being held, because the foul looks more obvious and serious. That only encourages players to dive.

If anyone is interested, Poll isn't actually answering from the lawbook, more his interpretation.

My law is a bit rusty (I have a referee qualifaction) but I'm sure the infringement would come from the player trying to pull the shirt, never mind just pulling it. The laws state similar things with yellow cards, like a player kicking or just merely attempting to kick another player.

Guest Saint Andy

What if a player is tackled outside the area but kind of stumbles and then falls a yard or two in the penalty area? Would that be a free-kick outside the area or a penalty?

free kick obviously.

What if a player is tackled outside the area but kind of stumbles and then falls a yard or two in the penalty area? Would that be a free-kick outside the area or a penalty?

A free kick. No incident has occured inside the penalty area, the only contact being outside.

Arrogant bastard.

Suspended for one game I think you'll find.  Not for the two bookings though, all because of the penalty incident.

The two bookings have completely been swept under the carpet

Arrogant bastard.

Suspended for one game I think you'll find.  Not for the two bookings though, all because of the penalty incident.

The two bookings have completely been swept under the carpet

He wasn't booking Essien though, he was re-iterating that he had booked Terry for his part in the incident.