Thanks for the memories Nobby

Dave

Just finished watching one of Solano's videos on YouTube...Brought back so many good memories...Some of the football we played were breathtaking so flashy and silky...Very free flowing and that's how we destroyed teams back in the early 2000s

Guest Ridzuan
Nolberto Solano admits his only regret at leaving Newcastle is that he was not able to help them win some long overdue silverware.

The 32-year-old Peruvian departed for West Ham on Friday - two years to the day since he returned from Aston Villa for a second spell at St James' Park - after admitting he needed to be nearer to his wife and children in London.

Sam Allardyce reluctantly agreed to let the midfielder go after wrapping up his moves for Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Faye, leaving Solano to reflect on his time on Tyneside.

He said: "I only have one regret about my time at Newcastle United, and that is I did not help give the fans the trophy they deserve.

"I have to say the Newcastle supporters were great to me and I can honestly say I always tried my best for them.

"The only reason I wanted to leave was because of my family, and they all seemed to understand that.

"I know I am a professional footballer, but my family is very important to me.

"My daughter Luana was born in Birmingham during my time at Aston Villa, but my son Madias was born and bred in Newcastle and he is a real Geordie boy.

"They are in London and that's the only reason I wanted to go down there."

Solano added: "On Friday morning, I had changed my mind and I was convinced I would be staying - and I was happy at that.

"But looking at the great squad Newcastle have got, I accepted I would not play that many matches this season and for that reason - and my family - I thought it was best to go when West Ham came back in for me."

Solano arrived at St James' in a £2.5million move from Argentinian side Boca Juniors in August 1998 and made 314 appearances, scoring 48 goals, under managers Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Sir Bobby Robson, Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder and Allardyce.

He is regarded as arguably the club's best overseas signing to date and was tipped by Roeder as a potential future coach of his national side, for whom he hopes to play against Bolivia and Colombia over the next few days.

Solano may not have left the north-east with a winners' medal, but he did take many happy memories with him as he prepares for a swift return with the Hammers on September 23.

He said: "It will be great to come back so soon because everything happened so fast on Friday, I did not have time to say many goodbyes.

"But you never know, I might be back permanently one day as manager of Newcastle United - or as a coach if Alan Shearer is looking for one in years to come."

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1780_2707959,00.html

His son is a pure Geordie.Thats wonderful.But i still dont understand his not bringing his family here,maybe his wife doesnt want to.Future manager for us? Doesnt mind that,he could play a song or two when the team is feeling down.

Guest optimistic nit

looks like he's done a sven there. "...if Alan Shearer, Shit i mean Sam Allardyce."

looks like he intends to go into management, which is brilliant. Not sure whether he'd make a good manager or a bad manager though. Definately would be a good coach imo, could teach the brittish kids a thing or two about technique, but i don't know about his skills as a tactition, although he does have an excellent footballing brain.

Legend...

Whoever is going to SJP on 23th of Sept for the game against WH then on behalf of me and many who live overseas, please please give Solano a welcome and a farewell a legend deserves...

Just missed out on a testimonial too

The 10 years continuous service testimonial clock is reset if a player leaves i.e. going to Aston Villa for a season and a half.

I stand corrected, I assumed it was 10 years service in total, regardless of weather it was interrupted.

Beardsley got a testimonial....I don't think he did 10 years even

Legend...

Whoever is going to SJP on 23th of Sept for the game against WH then on behalf of me and many who live overseas, please please give Solano a welcome and a farewell a legend deserves...

Another reason why I'm over the moon that I chose the West Ham game to attend :D I promise I'll do my absolute best to welcome him back.