Barton... On the Right?

Shak

I know we've only had 4 games but I am already getting a tad concerned about Sam's apparent high regard for Smith.

We'll know more when Barton is back.

the fact that big mick has smithys name  across his back for all and sundry tends to give the game away as to who holds him in high regard. imo

I know what you're saying, but that would be even worse than a tad concerning.. 

Pretty sure SA wouldn't do that?

i really would like to think that things like that wouldn't happen and my own belief is BSA is to much of a stand up guy to tolerate that sort of crap but who are we to understand the inner workings of a football club recently taken over by a billionaire. put it this way if big mick gets his sel to derby and is wearing a deco shirt dash to newcastle international to get the 1st signed toon top ha ha

Guest jimmy1982

I would see Barton as our best central midfielder, and I'd plan things so that he saw as much of the ball as possible. I'd definitely keep him involved in the centre.

I agree with this.

I agree with this too.

I thought the original post was good but I don't agree with what was said about Gerard benefitting from playing on the right though: he himself would have benefitted more from playing in the centre. However Liverpool have benefited immensley from having a the outstanding premier league midfielder of the last few years willing to do a job for them on the right.

As was said, Barton is not in the same class as Gerard (despite what I tried to tell myself when I was getting carried away in the summer with the excitement of the Ashley/Allardyce revolution) and i think Barton on the right would be a generally pretty average player with the occasional very good performance. Gerard has suceeded so spectacularly there because he is a consumate footballer. Just like Zidane playing on the left for Madrid, or like Maldini switching between left back and centre back, the top players can do that kind of thing. I would have put good money on Shearer being a class centre half if he'd wanted and he'd applied himself. We have paid a canny bit of money on barton becasue he is a very good premier league box to box centre mid so thats wher we should play him. I don't think he has achieved anything near his potential and hopefully we'll see him blossom into a really influential player, but that won't happen if we play him out of position, just ask Jon Dahl Tomasson. 

Also to say that a 442 with owen and viduka up front would become a 451 isn't really right imo cos if we'd be expecting owen to drop back into midfield we'd really have a 441 as he does precisely nowt when we haven't got the ball.