Ian Porterfield

Guest WalkervilleMag

never heard of him.. but anyway... RIP

Scored the only goal in the Sunderland v Leeds 1973 FA Cup Final, for Sunderland. 

Don't care how old you may be or say you are - how can you not know about that???

i know who he was, but i don't know who scored goals in other FA Cup Finals before i was born, why would i, or why would anyone else?

as for the fella dying, sad for anyone who knew/liked him, i'm sure.

Most people I know who are interested in football tend to know about such things. Things that are part of "football folklore" are well known, and particularly things that are part of local/regional "football folklore" (as in this case) are very well known.

I and my friends/family always seem to know about things that happened before we were born (in subjects of interest to us such as football and regional-football particularly) every bit as well as we know about things that we have experienced in the years that we happen to have been alive.

I am surprised by these comments to the contrary!!

A lot of the younger fans (and some from outside Newcastle) think that football, and NUFC, was invented in 1992 by Sky, though.

Like i say, i know about him, but only because of the north east connection.

I wouldn't have a clue about west midlands fa cup heroes of yesteryear, for example - and fans from outside of the north east might well not know about Porterfield.

Bet everyone remembers Ronnie f****** Radford though. w******.

That's because it is bl****y well shown on the BBC, every single year when the 3rd Round of the FA Cup starts!!

i know. Its as if the ONLY ever FA cup upset. :(

Good point.

In 35 years of going to the match, watching football and hating the mackems, I've only seen the footage of them bastards getting beat off Yeovil ONCE. It was at least as big an upset at the time as our H*r*f*rd embarrassment.

I blame Motson.

I wouldn't have a clue about west midlands fa cup heroes of yesteryear, for example

That's because there haven't been any since 19 fucking 57.

:(

Keith Houchen?Dave Bennett?Jeff Astle?Norman Deeley (incidentally another RIP this week)?Aston Villa isn't THE West Midlands on their own mate.

ohhhh and that guy with the stupid name......emmmmmmmmm  Alan Sunderland

I wouldn't have a clue about west midlands fa cup heroes of yesteryear, for example

That's because there haven't been any since 19 f****** 57.

:(

Keith Houchen?Dave Bennett?Jeff Astle?Norman Deeley (incidentally another RIP this week)?Aston Villa isn't THE West Midlands on their own mate.