Forward Thinking Back Room Approach/ Technology = Sunday Pub Team Tactics

Tsunami

BS is putting in place a backroom set up which will be the envy of most. He employs the latest technology and has data on everything that his players do on the pitch.

Given this fantastic set up & database, together with the quality of players he has at his disposal why are we using long ball tactics and playing A Smith in midfield?

I am mystified; does prozone not only show where the players are on the pitch but can it also show what they are doing in relation to the ball & at what altitude the ball is at as they do it? Players are spending most of their time chasing & failing to win long balls & then chasing backwards as we get attacked down the vacant wide (our right mostly) areas.

Surely the Back Room/ Technology set up should equal more than what BS is producing at the moment. And, I am fan of BS.

Aye, to be fair to Big Sam it's a pub team that's 5th in the league. I'm not pleased with his tactics, but he needed to keep things solid while buying some time. I hope he's now got the freedom to experiment a little and allow the players to express themselves.

Aye, to be fair to Big Sam it's a pub team that's 5th in the league. I'm not pleased with his tactics, but he needed to keep things solid while buying some time. I hope he's now got the freedom to experiment a little and allow the players to express themselves.

Pub Team tactics - not Pub Team.

Guest DONTOONER

BS is putting in place a backroom set up which will be the envy of most. He employs the latest technology and has data on everything that his players do on the pitch.

Given this fantastic set up & database, together with the quality of players he has at his disposal why are we using long ball tactics and playing A Smith in midfield?

I am mystified; does prozone not only show where the players are on the pitch but can it also show what they are doing in relation to the ball & at what altitude the ball is at as they do it? Players are spending most of their time chasing & failing to win long balls & then chasing backwards as we get attacked down the vacant wide (our right mostly) areas.

Surely the Back Room/ Technology set up should equal more than what BS is producing at the moment. And, I am fan of BS.

Stop being a retard.

This situation is like when you just started working....and your boss tells you after 6 days that you are bloody useless. Give it time, after 6 months if SA has not fix the problems highlighted, then have a go at him.

TBH i dont see this midfield lasting as emre and barton will be back soon. Just dont know who to drop really. Could see smith playing a Sissoko role just like liverpool, but thats quite a unique system pool is using . Apart from that Smith should rightfully be a CF.

I know there are alot  of fans who are critical of Milner for his displays recently, in 3 to 6 months we mightl see a completely different Milner....( Just a Hunch i hope SA teaches him and Martins more about awareness cause thats a key element missing in their games)

The entire structure of the club has changed, from the owner to the majority of first team players.. give it time.

Besides, until very recently there hasn't been much choice in the midfield creativity-wise, with Emre either being injured or looking mostly ineffective and N'Zogbia playing at leftback. Barton has been injured and Damien Duff is out for another 8 weeks or so still.. Solano and Dyer are off the books and after that there isn't much to choose from apart from fairly similar midfield characters.

It'll come good. If we're playing s*** now and fifth, there isn't any reason for us to adapt better over the season and achieve some long awaited consistency.

I wasn't at last night's game so I can't comment but 2nd half Sunday was as well as we've played in a long time.

Once we put Enrique on, moved Zog up, Milner switched flanks & put Smith up top we had shape and balance and options - I agree we took control from that point.

Stop being a retard.

BS isn't above constructive observation. We are fifth, we haven't played any of the top teams & we have struggled at times during every home game & lost at Derby.

Our points total doesn't reflect some of the performances; surely you can see that? Tactics may well change, I hope they do but BS should be seeing problems before any of us.

Pub is as pub does. Or something.

I know there are alot  of fans who are critical of Milner for his displays recently, in 3 to 6 months we mightl see a completely different Milner....( Just a Hunch i hope SA teaches him and Martins more about awareness cause thats a key element missing in their games)

I don't want to turn this into a Milner thread but Milner's problems are deeper than and more critical than lack of awareness...HE LACKS PACE and unless you are David Beckam then you need pace if you are a winger like Milner...

We didn't really buy any flair in the transfer window and sold our most technically gifted player in Solano, so these tactics were to be expected.

It does concern me that all of Sam's signings point towards a Bolton style of football. Sam took Bolton a long way using those tactics, they are tactics suited to underdogs who lack the technical ability of their rivals but make up for it with a physical advantage. People thought to themselves that if Sam can take Bolton to 5th, imagine what he can achieve with a bigger club and the financial muscle and ability to attract players that comes with all that. But the big question was always whether or not he was capable or willing to move away from those small club underdog tactics and build a team that, technically, can ever go toe to toe with the big boys.

The next couple of transfer windows should answer that question. While Sam points to a few flair players he's bought in his time, what he doesn't tell you is that they were the only flair players he ever really bought. I hope that he was just putting the foundations in place this summer, but it's a bit worrying that no technical flair players were brought in at all and the emphasis seems to be on height, physique, workrate, attitude and experience far more than technical ability. Yesterday we were dumped out of the cup by a side with a far more technical and youthful emphasis and if we ever want to be among the big sides we will need to go toe to toe with them technically. It's true that Chelsea and Liverpool's tactics under Mourinho and Benitez were not so different to Bolton in terms of team shape but they were far more gifted technically and could string together a lot of successive passes and dominate possession.

We've got a squad in place now and there seems to be money available, there's no excuse for failing to invest in younger and more technical players in the next couple of transfer windows. Time will tell if Allardyce only intends to pursue this Bolton mk II route or whether he brings in the players to take us up a level. It'll all take time to achieve, but to see no flair players at all coming in when we already lacked them does raise eyebrows. Hopefully Mort meant what he said when he talked about buying younger players.

If you count a flair player as a luxury player (a player who'll contribute little but then pull something out the bag from nowhere), then I think Martins is just about the only one we have and Sam seems reluctant to play him. I don't blame him for not jumping in with both feet, but Big Sam needs to find a balance. We're not Bolton, and we don't want to play like Bolton.

Ball retention under pressure against a top side requires skill and nerve from all concerned too, not just one or two flair players. There is an element of confidence in all this too though. You will see a team playing with confidence knocking it about under pressure and finding the 'out' ball that releases a player into space. We need to play to our potential as well as adding quality to the squad. I agree we need more talent though, its fairly obvious the players we've got arent bad just not great.

the thing with Sam's flair players at Bolton tho, is that even all of them were big, physical, direct players - anelka, diouf, stelios, okocha, djorkaeff (who sam beefed up). and most of them were also very experienced so knew how to play solidly in a system. i don't think he'll ever sign a technical player who is a bit soft. it is a lot harder to find players who fulfill both criteria, and while sam won't buy technical players who lack a physical side, he will sign physical players who lack a honed technique.

as for pub team tactics, there has been a bit of that, but in other games we've looked pretty good. still too early to tell what route he is going down, there's some promising signs but also some worrying ones.

So you're unhappy with our best start to a season in six years then you knacker!?

Sam's done a great job in a short space of time and I'm sure the style of play will evolve over time. Patience is a virtue that some Newcastle "supporters" don't seem to possess.

Guest icemanblue

So you're unhappy with our best start to a season in six years then you knacker!?

Sam's done a great job in a short space of time and I'm sure the style of play will evolve over time. Patience is a virtue that some Newcastle "supporters" don't seem to possess.

Exactly.

To pub or not to pub that is the long ball.

mackems.gif

What is it with some people? As a supporter we are allowed to question things within our club. I am happy with our start; I am not overly impressed with what appears to me to be glaring imbalances & accommodation of certain players.

;D

the thing with Sam's flair players at Bolton tho, is that even all of them were big, physical, direct players - anelka, diouf, stelios, okocha, djorkaeff (who sam beefed up). and most of them were also very experienced so knew how to play solidly in a system. i don't think he'll ever sign a technical player who is a bit soft. it is a lot harder to find players who fulfill both criteria, and while sam won't buy technical players who lack a physical side, he will sign physical players who lack a honed technique.

as for pub team tactics, there has been a bit of that, but in other games we've looked pretty good. still too early to tell what route he is going down, there's some promising signs but also some worrying ones.

Djorkaef? Bad example mate.

Guest icemanblue

Good points raised by Tsunami, why people can't debate it like a grown up instead of name calling I don't know.

I wasn't name calling.  My gripe is that i doubt this thread would have appeared if we had of won last night.  It's not often that i post on here. So from an objective point of view i can see that the week following a win is dominated by mostly positive threads, and following defeat, the opposite.