Man City 3 - 1 Newcastle - 29/09/2007 - Post match reaction from page 19

Wullie

Does anybody know what Smith's shrug of the shoulders thing was about while he was clapping us at the end.

I expected to lose today, but was extra frustrated, because at 2-1 i thought they were there for the taking. If we'd pressured more.

Big sam haters shut up. Honestly, what were yous like the first 2 years of bobby? It's why people think we're a joke

Probably thought he was still playing for Man Utd.

We didn't play too badly in the first half, but City's pace and quick passing made us look like dinosaurs by the end

That's the key.

THey played outstandingly well.  They had real confidence in their play.

Some of the knocks about the park they made ... especially the way they set up the Elani chance that Shay saved well near the start ... showed such class.

We can't grumble.

We've been beaten by a better side.

We can also talk about our team getting to know each other better, but Man City had the same scenario, and only a little bit longer.

thought Smith looked totally off the boil in midfield today.

i dont think they played that well, we played 3 in the middle to try and stifle elano(but didnt put anyone on him !?) which left petrov one on one with beye and to be fair petrov only looked dangerous(frighteningly mind) when on the break.

when we had the ball why didn't one of the midfield 3 make a break to play off viduka(again butt was trying to do in the last 30mins when the other 2 should be the more likely candidates)?

why when it was obvious petrov was loving having no midfielder to block his approach to beye didn't we go 4-4-2 ?

wullie--emre was ready to come on at 2-1 but they scored while he was waiting to come on,even then it was too late.

the midfield 3 looked as lost as to who should be doing what as robsons centre back 3 did when he tried to play 3-5-2.

viduka can be lethal, our team have learned to play the ball to his body or feet (took 5 games mind) now we have to learn to get midfielders running off him .

Emre should have been on at 70 minutes, at the very very latest, preferably earlier. Not changing the game is criminal - ok against Derby, he had a limited bench, but today throw him on. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, fine. But that midfield three aren't going to break down such a good City side when they've got a lead at home.

We weren't all that bad today, fantastic goal from Oba but again while we can look comfortable as can be when the scores are level, as soon as we score, we capitulate. Happened twice at Boro, happened last week and again today.  Taylor's defending for both goals was absolutely horrendous and I'd be starting Faye ahead of him if Cacapa is not back next week.

Allardyce seriously needs to stop f****** about with Enrique. Play him and get Smith out. Milner's not having a good season as yet but the midfield is totally unbalanced. Let's get him on the right with a natural left winger opposite him.

Oh, and Emre not introduced until we're 3-1 down with two minutes to go is rank bad management.

I dont know about smith out.  I think he's been doing more than butt.

Emre should have been on at 70 minutes, at the very very latest, preferably earlier. Not changing the game is criminal - ok against Derby, he had a limited bench, but today throw him on. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, fine. But that midfield three aren't going to break down such a good City side when they've got a lead at home.

Emre is shit. He has no pace or penetration. He passes the ball sideways. It amuses me that people are knocking Smith and Geremi for being unable to give pace or penetration, then think a homer and a luxury player, and a limited player like Emre, will give it.

He doesn't provide it either.

The reason we have such an unbalanced team is either  because the manager has made bad judments, or his board have not backed him to buy the players that would really have made difference, like the Man City guy has done.

I realise that he is a despicable bastard though and so some of us would rather he wasn't at Newcastle though in case he embarrasses us.

There will always be those who accuse others of knee-jerk reactions to comfort themselves. Often they'll talk about how bad things used to be, or you get those who try to blame a shoddy team performance on certain individuals. We were awful today and we're losing games because we're not playing very good football and teams who do that get found out sooner or later. Call this reaction whatever you want, we were taken apart today by a team more focused on getting the ball on the deck and playing football.

Spot on, as usual.

I dont think we were awful, think thats maybe a bit harsh. We were second best on the day, that doesnt make us awful. Some of Man city's football was superb, not 'just good'. It was excellent football played by some excellent players. We had our moments in that game and i agree with the general sentiment that getting the ball on the deck and passing it about would be preferable. Its diappointing that we couldnt apply more pressure or convert the chances we had in the second half. Could have easily been 2-2 but then again, that may have just meant more papering over the cracks. 

One other thing about Sven, he didnt accept the Man city job and then think about which players he wanted. He has had all the players he signed on his radar for months beforehand.

Man City deserve some credit for playing good football but once again I think we made the opposition look better than they were. Our defence held a very high line even when we were winning, and with the pace of Petrov and nobody picking up Elano, it was a simple case of trying to beat the offside trap with a through ball or one over the top, and they did it time and time again. We could do nothing about the free kick, but the first two goals were our own fault. We held a ridiculously high line for both and lost out in a straight sprint. In both cases our defenders were barely in our own half when City started the move. The space behind our defence was massive all game and Man City used that to their full advantage. We only have ourselves to blame. Saying City were excellent is a poor excuse IMO, if you give any half-decent side that kind of space they will create chances, we saw the same thing at Derby.

So you're saying that the high defensive line was the problem then? Not the lack of creativity in midfield, as has become the final word on our start to the season?

A defense that was doing exceptionally well so far, considering the circumstances. Saying we were awful then citing our defensive problems is a bit old hat tbh. The defense wasnt the problem against Derby nor any of our other games this season where we havent taken 3 points. It might well have been an issue today but i'm confident that this element of our play is sortable.

I dont think we were awful, think thats maybe a bit harsh. We were second best on the day, that doesnt make us awful. Some of Man city's football was superb, not 'just good'. It was excellent football played by some excellent players. We had our moments in that game and i agree with the general sentiment that getting the ball on the deck and passing it about would be preferable. Its diappointing that we couldnt apply more pressure or convert the chances we had in the second half. Could have easily been 2-2 but then again, that may have just meant more papering over the cracks. 

One other thing about Sven, he didnt accept the Man city job and then think about which players he wanted. He has had all the players he signed on his radar for months beforehand.

Allardyce has had as much time as Sven has to find players.

Allardyce was in full time employment for all but 2 games of last season. Sven has been off all year, not working for anyone at all. To think the two situations are comparable is not right.

A very poor performance after going in front to a well-taken goal by Martins.

The midfield look slow and pedestrian compared to City's, but then, they do compared to most teams - Villa lost at City, but gave them many more problems than we did as they have players with change of pace, whereas our midfield is one-paced.

There is no constructive running into space by players without the ball, esp midfielders, so the options for the man in possession to pass to are always limited - this was why City scored their second - Taylor was put under pressure by the man who passed to him, and his lack of pace was brutally exposed by Petrov,

although questions should also be asked of Beye's positioning in that instance..

Our passing is often sloppy and hurried - clearly, no-one is looking to where their team-mates are moving to before receiving the ball so they can pass it straight away and take defenders out of the game.

Giving the ball away by sloppy passing is the worst sin in Football bar none.

City's movement off the ball(and control on it)were far superior, and lets face it, they are a team who are supposed to be in a similar position to ourselves - new manager and rebuilding.

They were fortunate in having the likes of Richards on the staff, whereas Allardyce had to get defenders in to try to plug the huge gaps we had there. Nevertheless, City have got very good value in Petrov and Elano, who ran us stupid.

Our defence looks really shaky without Capaca...

It must be soul-destroying for the likes of Viduka when he sees the amount of movement City players do to create space for M'Penza - he was once left on his own in the box in the second half, screaming for the ball

and Martins tried a shot fron an acute angle and blasted it into the side-netting - a decent cross, and we would have had an equaliser..

This lack of pass & move is a part of the current side's game which concerns me greatly - it appears that the Coaching is distinctly lacking in that department...

Once again, we had the spectacle of Enrique being brought on near the end - WHY isn't this guy fit ?

We paid 6m for him, he's a Spanish U-21 player, yet we unbalance the side by playing Zog at Left B - he was badly exposed on this occasion too.

In case anyone immediately says that Enrique needs to 'adjust' to the Prem let me direct you to Elano....!

We have now played Bolton, Boro, Derby, Arsenal Reserves(CC Cup),and Man City away from home and picked up 4 points from a possible 12 and losing the last 3 away games ; at SJP we have won 2, drawn one against Villa, Wigan & WH - a total of 11 points overall from a possible 21 against sides we should be performing well against.

Whilst we win matches, the style of play will not matter too much, but when we start playing the big boys and lose while playing badly, it WILL become an issue - I dread to think how many a full-strength Arsenal would have put past us yesterday.

We all tended to put the Derby result down as 'one of those days', but this excuse will start to wear thin if these performances are repeated with any regularity.

Even allowing for Barton's return, we badly need an infusion of midfield class in January, or even a Top 10 place will be a struggle.

Guest Hodgson09

If City keep the way they played today up they may just finish in the top 4. It was a good game to watch as a football fan, not as a Newcastle fan. I still enjoyed the game though, Elano and Petrov are class.

I thought that after we have got the first goal,we could defend and maybe at worst,get a draw,but to lose 3-1 after that was disappointing and the manner of which we let the goals in,apart from the last one was even more disappointing.Our defence was poor all day long,Im not saying that the players in the other departments were good either.And I dont seem to understand why Big Sam want to bring Emre on late on in the match.He should be brought in the hour mark or so,but anyway I dont think it would make much of a difference.We need to improve if we are to have any chance to finish in the top 6 or 7 position this season.

Allardyce was in full time employment for all but 2 games of last season. Sven has been off all year, not working for anyone at all. To think the two situations are comparable is not right.

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Sven has kept his card well marked, and new precisely the players he rated and wanted to buy when he got another job, wherever it was going to be.

To think anything else is a bit naive. He targetted those players, and I for one, am quite jealous because I wish we had bought Elano, not so much Petrov because we have zoggy, but those 2 players were the best players on the pitch yesterday, and putting them alongside Johnson, with Giovanni on the bench, thats some attacking talent they now have.

the different between the sides yesterday was Elano and Petrov. They, as many games before, won the game to them. I think this is what Sam wanted from Barton but as lucky we are he got injured=(

not to mention a formation that allowed petrov free reign and didn't play to our strengths

the different between the sides yesterday was Elano and Petrov. They, as many games before, won the game to them. I think this is what Sam wanted from Barton but as lucky we are he got injured=(

not to mention a formation that allowed petrov free reign and didn't play to our strengths

Petrov is a brilliant outlet for them, with his pace. We haven't had this ourselves since Bellamy.

Petrov is a brilliant outlet for them, with his pace. We haven't had this ourselves since Bellamy.

we have that outlet in martins,what we need is midfielders who don't think cos he wears the no.9 shirt we should pump 40yd balls to his head.

im not worried after yesterday, which is suprising. We can't win every game, and you can see the potential is there.

Freekick was about as near perfect as you can possibly get - though I tought at the time our wall was about 15-20 yerds back, not 10. Rozey should have had Mpenza marked, but nevermind.

In a sentence, it's was "Slow, slow, even slower, slow"

Fingers need pulled out.

That applies as much to Allardyce and co as the players.

Oh, and Emre not introduced until we're 3-1 down with two minutes to go is rank bad management.

True, and not the first time either, even this early in the season.

This kind of poor decision making is what irritated about Roeder, and Souness, and in his last season and a half, SBR.

Which would have meant Allardyce would have watched a minimum of 36 Premiership games, as well as scouting missions on other clubs.

A good manager should know what good players are out there, Sven himself said he hadn't watched some of his signings live and only on video but it's the risk he took, people were happy to praise Allardyce for some of his bargain signings at Bolton saying how great his scouting team was yet now people are saying he didn't have enough time to identify targets?

He was happy to dismiss the possible signing of Giuly who is similar to Petrov but down the right and has preferred to sign grafters in midfield instead, this situation is his own making.

:lol: at these comments

"alladyce out!"

just read this thread now :lol: ffs... there should be an IQ test taken before someone's allowed to post-

It would certainly stop some these idiots spouting nonsense.

we were beaten by a creatively superior side who havn't lost at home yet.. given our poor away form its really no giant surprise that we lost. Still as, i think baggio was saying; the midfield is worryingly short of ideas and pace.

Love the knee-jerkers saying we're relegation fodder everytime we lose.

A good manager should know what good players are out there, Sven himself said he hadn't watched some of his signings live and only on video but it's the risk he took, people were happy to praise Allardyce for some of his bargain signings at Bolton saying how great his scouting team was yet now people are saying he didn't have enough time to identify targets?

Sven had more time on his hands last season, that is beyond argument. Did he spend this time planning his return to English football, or sunning himself in Barbados? At least 90% of Allardyce's time would have been spent preparing Bolton for their games. Cant believe this is a point of discussion.

My point, and it is more than valid, is that he spent this window trying to sort the defence out. We were desperate to land Beye in the last week.

His midfield signings havent really solved any of our problems and is a fair criticism of his difficult summer.

Sven may have signed players having not seen them play (i did think this was media talk but that was just an assumption) but i dont see how this adds to your argument? 

Sven had more time on his hands last season, that is beyond argument. Did he spend this time planning his return to English football, or sunning himself in Barbados? At least 90% of Allardyce's time would have been spent preparing Bolton for their games. Cant believe this is a point of discussion.

My point, and it is more than valid, is that he spent this window trying to sort the defence out. We were desperate to land Beye in the last week.

His midfield signings havent really solved any of our problems and is a fair criticism of his difficult summer.

Sven may have signed players having not seen them play (i did think this was media talk but that was just an assumption) but i dont see how this adds to your argument? 

I doubt very much Sven spent every minute planning for his return to football, in fact most of the players he bought are pretty well known in World football anyway.

The point is people are happy to rave about Allardyce's backroom team, his scouting network that helped him spot the likes of Enrique and this supposed prozone network that HTT bangs on about that  gives him stats of every player yet he couldn't come up with one creative player out of that lot.

The reason we didn't sign one creative player is because Allardyce was happy not to sign one, not  because he's been too busy signing Beye, lets not forget he's signed Barton, Smith, Geremi and Faye who he see's as midfield players.