For Those who Said last season we needed defenders

NE5

There is no doubt that Beye and Rozenhal are good players and have improved the defence

but

are we any better ? We STILL need more pace and creativity up front and in midfield, if we are going to do much better than last year.

Because without it, we are going nowhere, and by the time January comes, the season is half over.

Man City have bought EXACTLY the type of players that we needed, the type of players who would have made the biggest difference.

Still reckon Taylor is a future England captain btw? ;)

as he's been in the England squad already, not a bad shout to call on an 18 year old, wouldn't you agree ?

I hope you aren't one of those who were in raptures claiming Boumsong would be a worthy replacement for Woodgate and Luque would be a superstar

mackems.gif

No, I wasn't. I was actually saying Boumsong wasn't that good when people were raving about him. Have a look if you don't believe me. Tipping Taylor as a future England captain is what you should be using your favourite smiley for btw.

There is no doubt that Beye and Rozenhal are good players and have improved the defence

but

are we any better ? We STILL need more pace and creativity up front and in midfield, if we are going to do much better than last year.

Because without it, we are going nowhere, and by the time January comes, the season is half over.

Man City have bought EXACTLY the type of players that we needed, the type of players who would have made the biggest difference.

as he's been in the England squad already, not a bad shout to call on an 18 year old, wouldn't you agree ?

I hope you aren't one of those who were in raptures claiming Boumsong would be a worthy replacement for Woodgate and Luque would be a superstar

mackems.gif

No, I wasn't. I was actually saying Boumsong wasn't that good when people were raving about him. Have a look if you don't believe me. Tipping Taylor as a future England captain is what you should be using your favourite smiley for btw.

Nice to see your chums were raving about Boumsong. You should take them to task about it.

but

mackems.gif

Nice to see your chums were raving about Boumsong. You should take them to task about it.

I'm not actually responsible for what others write mate. The Taylor thing was a joke btw, the wink was the giveaway, although you did say it. Can't see it happening myself. Hope I'm wrong.

but

mackems.gif

I'm not actually responsible for what others write mate. The Taylor thing was a joke btw, the wink was the giveaway, although you did say it. Can't see it happening myself. Hope I'm wrong.

Whatever.  As Taylor has been in the squad, I'm quite pleased with that tip made when he was about 18 regardless of whether he ever makes the squad again or not.

He may lack a bit of pace, but I still think - despite some people having a go at him now which I suspect is more to do with his contract issues than making a judgement - that he can become a key player for NUFC and captain the club at the very least. He is definitely better than Moncur was at the same age. And quicker.

Being outrun by Petrov is no disgrace. Taylor's problem is his positioning, also i think he ball watches at crosses.

Agreed. He can easily improve in those areas, and with experience he will. I don't agree with some of these assessments of him. I think if he is put up for sale, some of the big clubs will be after him.

Andy Gray had it spot on on Sunday. Basically said that after he initially misjudged Rozehnal's and was outpaced by Petrov he should have gone to ground and taken him out, ball or no ball.

Andy Gray had it spot on on Sunday. Basically said that after he initially misjudged Rozehnal's and was outpaced by Petrov he should have gone to ground and taken him out, ball or no ball.

that kind of tactical cheating comes with experience though

Being outrun by Petrov is no disgrace. Taylor's problem is his positioning, also i think he ball watches at crosses.

Agreed. He can easily improve in those areas, and with experience he will. I don't agree with some of these assessments of him. I think if he is put up for sale, some of the big clubs will be after him.

I wouldn't sell him either, unless he wanted a really silly contract. I think he's an important squad member.

Don't want to sound pedantic but i don't think it will be 'easy' to improve those areas of his game, experience will help but he's got to be savvy enough to make the right choices in that split second. Some have it naturally (Woodgate), some learn it (Ferdinand) and some just never get it (Bramble).

Hope he gets some good coaching and remains motivated and humble enough to learn. Then he'll be a real asset.

that is true.

It's easy up in the stand though, he will learn, we were caught on the counter, it happens all the time, the initial header was sloppy, that is where possession was lost.

Petrov will outpace most defenders.

Fuck all marking on the scoring header neither. It was particularly disappointing as contrary to many I thought we were well in the game and looking dangerous at half time. Such an early goal rocked us and we never recovered. Chasing shadows after that.

Fuck all marking on the scoring header neither. It was particularly disappointing as contrary to many I thought we were well in the game and looking dangerous at half time. Such an early goal rocked us and we never recovered. Chasing shadows after that.

yes, I think that although they were by far the most enterprising, if we had got in front after the break instead of them, it could have been different.

Although the better side won in the end. Games always have turning points and defining moments, and the 2nd goal really put their tails up and after that there was only one winner really.

The TA?

IS HTL the forums equivalent of Gareth Keenan? :hunter:

Not only do I know nowt about the TA I also haven't the foggiest who Gareth Keenan is. So whatever this is meant to mean, I don't get it. Sorry like.

A nightmare it may be but you should stick to football.

Such a shite goal to concede as well. Taylor should be shot.

Guest bluegeordie

Thought as much myself when I was watching the move unfold ... although I'm not sure that Taylor actually got close enough for that strategy to work, and instead he might have needed one of these to bring Petrov down:

http://www.thefire.org/images/0f68dd5c293bc1e73a90d89ac7014dd0-th.jpg

Come to think of it, given concerns over the lack of pace in our defence, perhaps these can become "standard issue" for our backline, and the next time one of our players heads to the US for knee surgery by the wiz kid in Colorado, they can get some tips from the locals on how best to throw them.

And Ronaldo thought he had it tough in this week's Champions League ... 

I think that expectations are a bit high. Of the teams that are in our spending league (Villa, Man City, West Ham, Spurs), the only team that's doing significantly better is Man City.

City are being held up as the example of what Allardyce could / should have achieved, but a) They spent more money and b) A big part of their success is down to very solid defenders in Dunne and Richards, who Eriksson inherited. They have a very creative midfield which is leaving the defence a bit exposed, but thanks to those two, they're getting away with it.

Guest BigSamsBarmyArmy

We're pushing to where we should be but it will take time. We'll need some midfielders definately.

I think that expectations are a bit high. Of the teams that are in our spending league (Villa, Man City, West Ham, Spurs), the only team that's doing significantly better is Man City.

City are being held up as the example of what Allardyce could / should have achieved, but a) They spent more money and b) A big part of their success is down to very solid defenders in Dunne and Richards, who Eriksson inherited. They have a very creative midfield which is leaving the defence a bit exposed, but thanks to those two, they're getting away with it.

Spot on, Allardyce is trying to build from the back and this is going to take time while new defenders settle in. As you have pointed out the heart of Citys defence has already been there for a few years so Sven has had a little more freedom when building his squad.