For Those who Said last season we needed defenders

NE5

We need one top class playmaker, no doubt.

The positive for me is that we're laying good foundations. This season the defence should develop into a unit and get an understanding of each other, attack minded players work more on instinct so they'll gel easier.

By next summer I think we'll be one top class playmaker and one very good striker away from being able to be a very formidable team.

The real test will be whether Allardyce gets the right players and is willing to sacrifice a bit of functionality for some real flair.

I agree, but another real test is will they allow him to buy them, a couple of these "trophy players" are needed I would say.

Allardyce has been allowed to buy the players he wants and has been backed, he might have been backed with even more if the last clown hadn't run up the debts which have cost something like £75 million to be dished out with nothing to show for it.

So then NE5 we made a mistake by not buying forwards but the people to blame are the people who post on this forum rather than the manager you wanted?

I don't know. Maybe he's only bought what he could with the money he had. Most people on here will be pleased we didn't buy any more of these "trophy" players

He spent about £25 million this summer, don't you think he could have managed that money better?

£6 million on Smith when we were crying out for a proper replacement for Dyer springs to mind.

So then NE5 we made a mistake by not buying forwards but the people to blame are the people who post on this forum rather than the manager you wanted?

I don't know. Maybe he's only bought what he could with the money he had. Most people on here will be pleased we didn't buy any more of these "trophy" players

I wonder what he could have done with the £75 million we've had to piss away to repay debt?

He spent about £25 million this summer, don't you think he could have managed that money better?

£6 million on Smith when we were crying out for a proper replacement for Dyer springs to mind.

You can add letting Solano go without replacing him to that.

Our most creative player transferred out on the last day of the transfer window and he wasn't replaced, it was obvious that we were going to struggle because of the lack of a player who could change a game with one pass, somebody who could take the ball into the opposition half and do something unexpected.

There is no doubt that Beye and Rozenhal are good players and have improved the defence

but

are we any better ? We STILL need more pace and creativity up front and in midfield, if we are going to do much better than last year.

Because without it, we are going nowhere, and by the time January comes, the season is half over.

Man City have bought EXACTLY the type of players that we needed, the type of players who would have made the biggest difference.

Agreed.

I still don't understand why we only bought defensive players in the summer.

I've been saying this since August.

But the it will be alright SA is rebuilding it will take 60 million years hold sway on this board. :cheesy:

You were for the Smith signing before you even try and take the high ground.

We are still awaiting N'Zogbia and Barton to really play in midfield. Won't take "60 millions years" but how about we wait until our best team is fit before judging hey?

We woudn't be waiting for anybody if we had bought one or two alternatives.

...and I'll judge when I fucking like alright?

If we went for Elano (or similar) instead of Smith would we be a better team? You can go away and think about that one sweety xxx

Yes we would and you of all people full well know my thoughts on getting a creative player in you tease.

I'll continue to stand up for Smith and I thought he showed more fight today than the whole side put together and he's got better hair.

Our best defender last season was from a choice of Carr, Babayaro, Edgar, Ramage, Bramble, Taylor and Onyewu. Even with a squad like that, you were attempting to justify the purchase of the has-been Duff, despite us having a relatively small budget and our best player the season before also being a left winger - set to be dropped for no reason at all. Of course, this was in reality just another aspect of your pro-Shepherd stance, in which you twisted and refused to accept every single criticism aimed at Shepherd in some sort of fanatical mission - which in this particular instance included Shepherd being accused of failing to acknowledge the needs of the squad/defence and just attempting to appease fans by signing a big name from yesteryear to cover his own inadequacies in the market.

Face it NE5. You were utterly wrong about a number of things, as has been proven by the course of events, and youre too stubborn to admit that you were wrong to boot. Not improving the defence was a daft thing to do, and it was why we were flirting with relegation in successive seasons despite spending huge amounts on attacking players. We wont be anywhere near relegation this season, and thats mostly down to us signing good defensive players (which includes Smith in my books as hes pretty much an away-day combatative midfielder), as well as having a healthy squad with good cover for nearly every position (bar competiton for Milner) - no massive, over-inflated transfer fees for a big name whilst also having a threadbare squad in sight.

Of course we do need some more creativity, but thats partly because two big name, big wage, and in one case, huge money, signings that you were so keen on us getting, signings which those of us with enough sense foresaw as being large, daft, needless risks (and guess how its turned out with them?), have been utterly crocked for us, whilst a few other attacking players have been sold due to personal reasons or have picked up short term injuries. In no way does that justify those who last season were mocking fellow supporters for claming we should have purchased defenders, again something with which a mere glance at the names of last season's defensive squad should have been nothing but common sense.

Our best defender last season was from a choice of Carr, Babayaro, Edgar, Ramage, Bramble, Taylor and Onyewu. Even with a squad like that, you were attempting to justify the purchase of the has-been Duff, despite us having a relatively small budget and our best player the season before also being a left winger - set to be dropped for no reason at all. Of course, this was in reality just another aspect of your pro-Shepherd stance, in which you twisted and refused to accept every single criticism aimed at Shepherd in some sort of fanatical mission - which in this particular instance included Shepherd being accused of failing to acknowledge the needs of the squad/defence and just attempting to appease fans by signing a big name from yesteryear to cover his own inadequacies in the market.

Face it NE5. You were utterly wrong about a number of things, as has been proven by the course of events, and youre too stubborn to admit that you were wrong to boot. Not improving the defence was a daft thing to do, and it was why we were flirting with relegation in successive seasons despite spending huge amounts on attacking players. We wont be anywhere near relegation this season, and thats mostly down to us signing good defensive players (which includes Smith in my books as hes pretty much an away-day combatative midfielder), as well as having a healthy squad with good cover for nearly every position (bar competiton for Milner) - no massive, over-inflated transfer fees for a big name whilst also having a threadbare squad in sight.

Of course we do need some more creativity, but thats partly because two big name, big wage, and in one case, huge money, signings that you were so keen on us getting, signings which those of us with enough sense foresaw as being large, daft, needless risks (and guess how its turned out with them?), have been utterly crocked for us, whilst a few other attacking players have been sold due to personal reasons or have picked up short term injuries. In no way does that justify those who last season were mocking fellow supporters for claming we should have purchased defenders, again something with which a mere glance at the names of last season's defensive squad should have been nothing but common sense.

Tell me how long are you going to justify this nonsense?

Smith was a bad signing, i said it then, i was gutted we were linked to such a average player for such a high fee, am devastated that i was right.

We need more creative mids, and we need to settle in a formation, 442.

I thought the Smith signing was alright at the time: a good squad player we could use to fill a number of gaps if needed. Little did I know he was going to be completely ineffectively in every single match. Like Bowyer, but more expensive, tbh.

Smith was a bad signing, i said it then, i was gutted we were linked to such a average player for such a high fee, am devastated that i was right.

Smith wasn't signed as a creative player. He was signed as a utility player and a cover for the forwards. People continuing to blame one signing for our malaise are missing the big picture. Sam needs to be braver and start the proper left back for a change.

I thought the Smith signing was alright at the time: a good squad player we could use to fill a number of gaps if needed. Little did I know he was going to be completely ineffectively in every single match. Like Bowyer, but more expensive, tbh.

Its exactly what he is, and i said it from the start, he has no real position, isn't good enough as a striker, and isn't strong enough as a central mid and got lampooned from the usual thought police on here.

Love to see them defending him now.

Thought he played well today.

Smith wasn't signed as a creative player. He was signed as a utility player and a cover for the forwards. People continuing to blame one signing for our malaise are missing the big picture. Sam needs to be braver and start the proper left back for a change.

Did we need that? Because it certainly hasn't worked so far. More bookings than good performances, certainly goals and/or assists. £6m wasted. I'd have rather we spent £3m on a striker, and £3m on an attacking mid instead of £6m on neither.

Did we need that? Because it certainly hasn't worked so far. More bookings than good performances, certainly goals and/or assists. £6m wasted. I'd have rather we spent £3m on a striker, and £3m on an attacking mid instead of £6m on neither.

In hindsight I agree with you and at the time we needed at least one more attakcing player I agree. BUT Smith is a good player and I still believe he will come good in important games...You can't blame him for being started in unbalanced formations and in strange roles.

You can add letting Solano go without replacing him to that.

Our most creative player transferred out on the last day of the transfer window and he wasn't replaced, it was obvious that we were going to struggle because of the lack of a player who could change a game with one pass, somebody who could take the ball into the opposition half and do something unexpected.

Has Solano done much this season? He needs replacing, agreed.

In hindsight I agree with you and at the time we needed at least one more attakcing player I agree. BUT Smith is a good player and I still believe he will come good in important games...You can't blame him for being started in unbalanced formations and in strange roles.

Strange roles is all he's ever played in since he doesn't have any real stand out attributes, he should be used to it. You are either versatile and that is your strength, or you are not a very good player, which one is he?

Sam isn't doing the business, i agree on that, he's doing more damage on field than i ever thought he do, unimpressed so far, he could be doing a much better job.

Guest Knightrider

What would people rather had happened - rebuilding the entire defence or ignoring that and buying more attacking players instead? We can't have both because we didn't have the funds and nor did we really have the time. It's all good and well saying we need more creative attacking players in the team now, which is err, obvious, but if we did do what people are advocating we should have done, we'd all be saying we need a new defence or some more defenders. Can't have it both ways. We'll get some creative and attacking players in future windows.

What would people rather had happened - rebuilding the entire defence or ignoring that and buying more attacking players instead? We can't have both because we didn't have the funds and nor did we really have the time. It's all good and well saying we need more creative attacking players in the team now, which is err, obvious, but if we did do what people are advocating we should have done, we'd all be saying we need a new defence or some more defenders. Can't have it both ways. We'll get some creative and attacking players in future windows.

All he's done is swap problems about, its probably better problems than what we had before, but wasting £6m on Smith, amongst bringing players far too late and unfit has again not helped. But at least the problem have narrowed slightly, i just think he could of done a better job with what he's got so far.

Far too negative, for too boring, far too fuked up in terms of formation and leaving Martins out of the team for a has been crock on far too much money.

Remember how fucked Sam looked during the summer? He worked his arse off trying to get the defence sorted. Time was a major factor in his re-building exercise.

Guest Knightrider

All he's done is swap problems about, its probably better problems than what we had before, but wasting £6m on Smith, amongst bringing players far too late and unfit has again not helped. But at least the problem have narrowed slightly, i just think he could of done a better job with what he's got so far.

Far too negative, for too boring, far too fuked up in terms of formation and leaving Martins out of the team for a has been crock on far too much money.

No he hasn't just swapped one problem for another, we actually have attackers and midfielders, we had no defence. Defence was and should be the priority. I mean when you have players like Owen, Viduka, Duff, Emre, Barton, N'Zogbia, Milner et al, there is plenty of goals in there so Sam can be forgiven for thinking he can make do with them for now. Could he have done that with the defence? Like shite he could have, he'd have been lynched had he spunked all the money on a striker or playmaker and ignored the defence. I love hindsight me btw :lol:

Guest Knightrider

As for far too negative and boring, fuck me we are in the top 5 or were and have made one of our better starts to a season in years, all this on the back of an absolute mess left by Souness and Roeder. I really do think we have some right idiots on here with fucking muck or something between their ears blocking the brain. Incredible. :lol:

No he hasn't just swapped one problem for another, we actually have attackers and midfielders, we had no defence. Defence was and should be the priority. I mean when you have players like Owen, Viduka, Duff, Emre, Barton, N'Zogbia, Milner et al, there is plenty of goals in there so Sam can be forgiven for thinking he can make do with them for now. Could he have done that with the defence? Like shite he could have, he'd have been lynched had he spunked all the money on a striker or playmaker and ignored the defence. I love hindsight me btw :lol:

If you think it's hindsight then you couldn't have been around the board over the summer, people were saying all along that we lack creativity yet Allardyce decided to replace Dyer and Solano with Alan Smith, as far as creativity goes we've gone backwards on what we had last season.

Has Solano done much this season? He needs replacing, agreed.

I'm not sure Solano has done anything never mind much, I think he could still have done a job for us as we need the creativity that he gave us last season when he played, all I know is that what he gave us is missing from the team this season, we don't seem to have anybody who can get the ball and drive us forward, we just kick and hope.

Guest Knightrider

Remember how fucked Sam looked during the summer? He worked his arse off trying to get the defence sorted. Time was a major factor in his re-building exercise.

Exactly. And on a have to sell before you buy type of budget too. He did fantastically well in the transfer market and anyone who cannot see that is a complete and utter cretin.