For Those who Said last season we needed defenders

NE5

The fact is Allardyce has spent £25 million and not replaced either Solano or Dyer properly, this is fact.

Why you feel you need to stress that I don't know as no-one is arguing otherwise.

Because it's the truth.

He failed to replace these players and we're suffering as a team because of it.

Well gee, thanks for pointing that out to us all.

We lost the league in 95, this is fact.

No worries, perhaps you should have listened when I was saying it in the summer too instead of making out it was our best summer ever in terms of transfers. :lol:

One of, and it was, only an idiot would fail to realise that...

IMO of course.

It certainly wasn't the best and only an idiot would think that, strengthening the defence while sacrificing not only the signing of a creative player but losing our best ball player at the same time without replacing him. Fantastic.

Our best ball player? Who?

Dyer? :lol:

Nobby? :lol:

Aye because when they played, we created loads of chances.

It was one of the best windows we've had, we spent something like 10m net and brought in just about every player we needed and also got rid of a lot of dead wood.

What were you expecting btw, to fix everything in one window?

Name a better ball player at the club than Solano.

Had he stayed and been picked, you'd be saying he needs dropped because he has no pace or legs anymore, by now :lol:

I don't care. OMG we didn't replace him. The window will open again and I'll see what we do in that myself. You carry on moping about trivial matters though that can't be helped or can't be fixed just like that.

No I wouldn't, I was one of the people who didn't want him to go as I know what a player with his range of passing can bring to a team, the same as I know how a player with Dyer's pace can stretch games, instead we've replaced both of them with Alan Smith who's awful.

You didn't answer my question btw even though you felt the need to post a smilie to again try and make out I was wrong...

We were not that creative last season, St James Park was a goal free zone for a very long time.

the last goal scored in February tells its own story

To right.

This meaning last years so called creative midfielders* were not that creative. It seems to me Dyer & Emre have become more creative since last season for no reason that I can think of. Them two spent most of a game picking the ball off the toes of the centre halves on the edge of our 18 yard box & then doing zilch with it.

Fair play to Roeder :yikes: he had the right idea moving Dyer up to a forward as he is nee good in cluttered midfield.

*=Milner not mentioned as I am not in mood to type messages to Gejon today.

Guest Knightrider

The fact is Allardyce has spent £25 million and not replaced either Solano or Dyer properly, this is fact.

Why you feel you need to stress that I don't know as no-one is arguing otherwise.

Because it's the truth.

No worries, perhaps you should have listened when I was saying it in the summer too instead of making out it was our best summer ever in terms of transfers. :lol:

IMO of course.

It certainly wasn't the best and only an idiot would think that, strengthening the defence while sacrificing not only the signing of a creative player but losing our best ball player at the same time without replacing him. Fantastic.

It was one of the best windows we've had, we spent something like 10m net and brought in just about every player we needed and also got rid of a lot of dead wood.

Had he stayed and been picked, you'd be saying he needs dropped because he has no pace or legs anymore, by now :lol:

I don't care. OMG we didn't replace him. The window will open again and I'll see what we do in that myself. You carry on moping about trivial matters though that can't be helped or can't be fixed just like that.

No I wouldn't, I was one of the people who didn't want him to go as I know what a player with his range of passing can bring to a team, the same as I know how a player with Dyer's pace can stretch games, instead we've replaced both of them with Alan Smith who's awful.

You didn't answer my question btw even though you felt the need to post a smilie to again try and make out I was wrong...

I didn't answer it because as an argument, it's daft. Like I said I no longer care man. I'm bored.

I'm happy with my opinions and the points I've made so shall leave this to you.

Because it's the truth.

IMO of course.

I didn't answer it because as an argument, it's daft. Like I said I no longer care man. I'm bored.

You didn't answer it because after posting a smilie and trying to make out I was wrong, it actually dawned on you I was right.

And you know it.

Because it's the truth.

IMO of course.

We were not that creative last season, St James Park was a goal free zone for a very long time.

the last goal scored in February tells its own story

To right.

This meaning last years so called creative midfielders* were not that creative. It seems to me Dyer & Emre have become more creative since last season for no reason that I can think of. Them two spent most of a game picking the ball off the toes of the centre halves on the edge of our 18 yard box & then doing zilch with it.

Fair play to Roeder :yikes: he had the right idea moving Dyer up to a forward as he is nee good in cluttered midfield.

*=Milner not mentioned as I am not in mood to type messages to Gejon today.

I'd take Dyer and Emre over Geremi and Smith anyday of the week.

Guest Knightrider

Because it's the truth.

IMO of course.

You didn't answer it because after posting a smilie and trying to make out I was wrong, it actually dawned on you I was right.

And you know it.

Nah, I used the smilies because of the importance you were holding those two players in, the same two players who played lots of games last season but still we lacked creativity. Two players who wanted away btw.

Because it's the truth.

IMO of course.

And you know it.

Nah, I used the smilies because of the importance you were holding those two players in, the same two players who played lots of games last season but still we lacked creativity. Two players who wanted away btw.

Actually, you said...

As if to say it was laughable to suggest either was our best ball player, I asked you to name a better ball player at the club but unsurprisingly you can't.

today our defence looked no better than our defence last season tbh - that said i still think we have a better defence.

i do also believe that a back four of beye-taylor(cacapa)-rozenhal-enrique would be good enough for my anticipated top 10 this season

Baggio is right and it doesnt take mcuh ti see it. We are weak going forward. Solano and Dyer are still an awful lot better than we have never mind in their prime.

Our best defender last season was from a choice of Carr, Babayaro, Edgar, Ramage, Bramble, Taylor and Onyewu. Even with a squad like that, you were attempting to justify the purchase of the has-been Duff, despite us having a relatively small budget and our best player the season before also being a left winger - set to be dropped for no reason at all. Of course, this was in reality just another aspect of your pro-Shepherd stance, in which you twisted and refused to accept every single criticism aimed at Shepherd in some sort of fanatical mission - which in this particular instance included Shepherd being accused of failing to acknowledge the needs of the squad/defence and just attempting to appease fans by signing a big name from yesteryear to cover his own inadequacies in the market.

Face it NE5. You were utterly wrong about a number of things, as has been proven by the course of events, and youre too stubborn to admit that you were wrong to boot. Not improving the defence was a daft thing to do, and it was why we were flirting with relegation in successive seasons despite spending huge amounts on attacking players. We wont be anywhere near relegation this season, and thats mostly down to us signing good defensive players (which includes Smith in my books as hes pretty much an away-day combatative midfielder), as well as having a healthy squad with good cover for nearly every position (bar competiton for Milner) - no massive, over-inflated transfer fees for a big name whilst also having a threadbare squad in sight.

Of course we do need some more creativity, but thats partly because two big name, big wage, and in one case, huge money, signings that you were so keen on us getting, signings which those of us with enough sense foresaw as being large, daft, needless risks (and guess how its turned out with them?), have been utterly crocked for us, whilst a few other attacking players have been sold due to personal reasons or have picked up short term injuries. In no way does that justify those who last season were mocking fellow supporters for claming we should have purchased defenders, again something with which a mere glance at the names of last season's defensive squad should have been nothing but common sense.

Tell me how long are you going to justify this nonsense?

Exactly what is nonsense about it? Point out the specifics and debate for once.

There are 15 page threads (started by me) on here where I debate mate.

You're basically trotting out the inj flim flam.

What has SA got no foresight...Doesn't he know a semi-crock and a perma crock when he sees one?

Common sense and safety alone doesn't a football team make.

**Imo you're one of the best football posters on this board I'd like to see you cut loose a bit more.  bluerazz.gif

I'd take Dyer and Emre over Geremi and Smith anyday of the week

I knew you would :smiley6600:

You say you judge with eyes them two were part of a team last season that was less creative than the current crew.

Emre missed most of it through injury but when he partnered Butt in midfield we played better football than any time in the past 2 years.

We've also seen in the past what an important player Dyer can be for the club, he has the ability to stretch games with his pace which is what we've lacked up until now, he's also more likely to grab a goal than either Butt, Geremi or Smith.

Emre missed most of it through injury but when he partnered Butt in midfield we played better football than any time in the past 2 years.

We've also seen in the past what an important player Dyer can be for the club, he has the ability to stretch games with his pace which is what we've lacked up until now, he's also more likely to grab a goal than either Butt, Geremi or Smith.

If Emre didn't go so deep I may appreciate him a bit more.

I don't have a problem with Dyer as a forward, I think just think is a poor midfielder. Again he goes to deep when he is played as a CM

I don't have a problem with Dyer as a forward, I think just think is a poor midfielder. Again he goes to deep when he is played as a CM

I like them a bit rough in the sack myself.

To each his own though.  :thup:

I like them a bit rough in the sack myself.

To each his own though.  :thup:

:laugh:

What would people rather had happened - rebuilding the entire defence or ignoring that and buying more attacking players instead? We can't have both because we didn't have the funds and nor did we really have the time. It's all good and well saying we need more creative attacking players in the team now, which is err, obvious, but if we did do what people are advocating we should have done, we'd all be saying we need a new defence or some more defenders. Can't have it both ways. We'll get some creative and attacking players in future windows.

All he's done is swap problems about, its probably better problems than what we had before, but wasting £6m on Smith, amongst bringing players far too late and unfit has again not helped. But at least the problem have narrowed slightly, i just think he could of done a better job with what he's got so far.

Far too negative, for too boring, far too fuked up in terms of formation and leaving Martins out of the team for a has been crock on far too much money.

No he hasn't just swapped one problem for another, we actually have attackers and midfielders, we had no defence. Defence was and should be the priority. I mean when you have players like Owen, Viduka, Duff, Emre, Barton, N'Zogbia, Milner et al, there is plenty of goals in there so Sam can be forgiven for thinking he can make do with them for now. Could he have done that with the defence? Like shite he could have, he'd have been lynched had he spunked all the money on a striker or playmaker and ignored the defence. I love hindsight me btw :lol:

If you think it's hindsight then you couldn't have been around the board over the summer, people were saying all along that we lack creativity yet Allardyce decided to replace Dyer and Solano with Alan Smith, as far as creativity goes we've gone backwards on what we had last season.

We've discussed this before, but to repeat. At the time we didn't know whether Owen or Martins or both would be off, so we needed another striker just to be safe. With Emre and Barton also injured, we needed another CM type player too. So Smith makes perfect sense. Furthermore Martins will be away in Jan and we all know how Owen can't keep fit, and Viudka.

Imagine only having Ameobi to pick...

True. There' s no connection at all between the signing of Smith and the departures of Dyer and Solano, but perhaps the more baggio says this it'll become true.....

What we need to do is this in my opinion:

Immediately go to 4-4-2 and stick with it using Zog on the left and Geremi on the right.

In CM decide the best blend from Butt, Faye, Emre and Barton, but always pick 2 from those 4 if 2 are fit.

Up front select 1 from Smith/Viduka and 1 from Owen/Martins.

In January:

Bring in a quality right sided midfield player if Duff hasn't returned from injury and shown he can do that job.

Find (somehow) a player who can play in the role Elano did for them today. It's a great role and is hard to play against if the player occupying the role is quality. If we can find that player we can look at shifting out either Owen (if he doesn't want to be here) or Martins (if the manager believes he will never be anything other than a one-man-band)

Shepherd and the Halls took over a club going down to the 3rd division, they left it so it attracted the attention of one of the countries richest men, several years, international players, european qualifications, FA Cup Finals, and capacity crowds later.

FACT.

A manageable debt on a football stadium is no different to having a mortgage, even your chum macbeth has admitted - through gritted teeth probably - that this was well structure. All Ashley has done is re-structure ie pay off the clubs manageable debt to increase profits and make his investment worth more money, the same as you would do with your house if you won on the lottery.

We've been told that the debt was not manageable, nobody from the fomer regime have bothered to come out and say otherwise, how come you know better than those closer to the debt?

They did. And as I said, your chum macbeth said it had been well financed.

He spent about £25 million this summer, don't you think he could have managed that money better?

£6 million on Smith when we were crying out for a proper replacement for Dyer springs to mind.

You can add letting Solano go without replacing him to that.

Our most creative player transferred out on the last day of the transfer window and he wasn't replaced, it was obvious that we were going to struggle because of the lack of a player who could change a game with one pass, somebody who could take the ball into the opposition half and do something unexpected.

Who would you have blamed for that if Shepherd had still been here I wonder mackems.gif

I'm not in the least bit surprised that MICK has attempted to waffle around every other post I've made except this one.

In case he missed it ......... BUMP

True. There' s no connection at all between the signing of Smith and the departures of Dyer and Solano, but perhaps the more baggio says this it'll become true.....

So the day we announced we had accepted a bid for Dyer, Allardyce went on tv and said Dyer's replacement would be unveiled tomorrow, the next day we signed Smith.

Now how are the two not connected?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2007/09/25/without-takeover-united-could-well-have-folded-72703-19844203/

Mort:

“Yes, we were surprised at precisely how bad the financial position was. We didn’t fully realise it from the outside,” admitted Mort.

“If the old board had not been successful in re-financing the club by the end of the financial year it would have folded like a pack of cards.

“They were in big trouble because, if you remember, Mike bought United in the May and the club’s financial year was up on June 30.

“No doubt this crisis looming on the horizon was one reason why they wanted to sell.

“We have addressed the situation, met it head on, which is why Mike initially put in £30m of his own money and has now committed a further £45m to pay off the big debts that had people clamouring at the door.

“What we also found was that the club had spent sponsorship money before it actually came in. For example, all the cash from Northern Rock, which should have been paid annually, has already gone (said to be used to help buy Michael Owen at £17m). Money was also borrowed against a deal with adidas.

“We prefer to invest as the cash comes in, not before it does

John Gibson:

THE Shepherd family were unavailable for comment this morning.

So the day we announced we had accepted a bid for Dyer, Allardyce went on tv and said Dyer's replacement would be unveiled tomorrow, the next day we signed Smith.

Players join and players leave.  Dyer would have left if Smith hadn't joined and Smith would have joined if Dyer hadn't left.

The manager can spout whatever he likes to give the media a story but these are not similar players, Smith is not a direct replacement for Dyer. Even if he is...so what? All that means is the manager made the decision to replace one player with a player of a different type whom you happen to detest.  Perhaps the manager is trying to restructure the way the team plays. In any case, you shouldn't be making a direct comparison between these players.

The point is of little importance to the debate, it's like the one that says bringing in Duff was the reason the club didn't sign a left back, when in fact it's not one or the other, just as it's not Smith for Dyer. Now I don't like FS myself and didn't want him as manager, so I'd be more than happy to call him an arsehole for believing Smith is a similar player to Dyer, but I just don't think FS is that thick.

Smith is really a striker constantly being used out of position. It amazes me that people can't open their minds enough to see this, although I understand that hatred is playing a role here for some. It's thought Smith is versatile and this works against him. What he does have is a very positive attitude, he is so keen to play he will do anything for the team, he gets on with it even if he's not suited to the role. Contrast this with Dyer, who put himself ahead of the club by refusing to play where the manager wanted him to play and then went on to undermine the manager's position because of his mistaken belief he's as good as Scholes in CM. In fact Dyer is a headless chicken with pace.

Everybody knows by now that you hate Smith and that's fine, just stop banging on about it in nearly every thread.

He had a decent game today judged against the rest of the team, he was certainly the best of the daft midfield 3 FS selects when he goes with this ridiculous formation. I doubt you'll see that through your irrational hatred though.

Players join and players leave.  Dyer would have left if Smith hadn't joined and Smith would have joined if Dyer hadn't left.

The manager can spout whatever he likes to give the media a story but these are not similar players, Smith is not a direct replacement for Dyer. Even if he is...so what? All that means is the manager made the decision to replace one player with a player of a different type whom you happen to detest.  Perhaps the manager is trying to restructure the way the team plays. You shouldn't be making a direct comparison between these players.

In any event, the point is of zero importance to the debate, it's like the one that says bringing in Duff was the reason the club didn't sign a left back, when in fact it's not one or the other, just as it's not Smith for Dyer. Now I don't like FS myself and didn't want him as manager, so I'd be more than happy to call him an arsehole for believing Smith is a similar player to Dyer, but I just don't think FS is that thick.

Smith is really a striker constantly being used out of position. It amazes me that people can't open their minds enough to see this, although I understand that hatred is playing a role here for some. It's thought Smith is versatile and this works against him. What he does have is a very positive attitude, he is so keen to play he will do anything for the team, he gets on with it even if he's not suited to the role. Contrast this with Dyer, who put himself ahead of the club by refusing to play where the manager wanted him to play and then went on to undermine the manager's position because of his mistaken belief he's as good as Scholes in CM. In fact Dyer is a headless chicken with pace.

Everybody knows by now that you hate Smith and that's fine, just stop banging on about it in nearly every thread.

He had a decent game today judged against the rest of the team, he was certainly the best of the daft midfield 3 FS selects when he goes with this ridiculous formation. I doubt you'll see that through your irrational hatred though.

Yes, you're right, it's just irrational hatred from me and Smith has actually played well this season...

Whether he's a striker or not doesn't take away from the fact that he's played the majority of his football over the last 3 years as a midfielder, he appears to have been brought here to play in that position and has been awful in the process, blame Allardyce for that one.

I'm sorry if it upsets you when I point this out but he won't escape criticism from me because it isn't his natural position.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2007/09/25/without-takeover-united-could-well-have-folded-72703-19844203/

Mort:

“Yes, we were surprised at precisely how bad the financial position was. We didn’t fully realise it from the outside,” admitted Mort.

“If the old board had not been successful in re-financing the club by the end of the financial year it would have folded like a pack of cards.

“They were in big trouble because, if you remember, Mike bought United in the May and the club’s financial year was up on June 30.

“No doubt this crisis looming on the horizon was one reason why they wanted to sell.

“We have addressed the situation, met it head on, which is why Mike initially put in £30m of his own money and has now committed a further £45m to pay off the big debts that had people clamouring at the door.

“What we also found was that the club had spent sponsorship money before it actually came in. For example, all the cash from Northern Rock, which should have been paid annually, has already gone (said to be used to help buy Michael Owen at £17m). Money was also borrowed against a deal with adidas.

“We prefer to invest as the cash comes in, not before it does

John Gibson:

THE Shepherd family were unavailable for comment this morning.

How many people do you think were "clamouring at the door for 45m quid", and what exactly do you think we should have done with the sponsorship money when we knew it was on the way and we needed players, or we would have been in a relegation fight.  You truly must have loved the McKeag years. As he says, they are doing it a different way, which means we have to watch the current team knowing we need new players and doing nothing, which you say you are happy with.

Nice business, shame about the team. Congratulations.

Lets hope the current board will match the Champions League qualifications that the old one did with their different approach, and we don't suffer any embarrassing cup defeats to teams like Exeter and Oxford, while we wait for next seasons ticket money, sponsorship money to come in, or the sale of a top player to raise cash in January.

:clap: