NUFC.COM boys get it right.

Guest thenorthumbrian

The Owen backers arent dealing with the issue at hand.

Saying his injuries have just been bad luck doesnt negate the notion that hes rushing back from injury to play for England. Making the point about bad luck merely refutes an arguement that hes feigning injury - which is not an really arguement being made.

Owen has been rushing himself back for England games since he first arrived here - his first major injury for us was when he broke his metatarsal in a clash with Robinson near abouts New Year's Day iirc, several months after we signed him, yet that first half season before that injury, he was picking up small knocks and strains left, right and centre, regularly being unavailable for us, yet was always miraculously fit again for an England game. The accusation is that hes rushing back early to play for England, yet wouldnt do the same for us if there isnt an England game round the corner, which is an utter piss take if its true, even more so considering the wages hes on and the fee we paid for him.

Guest jimmy1982

Saying his injuries have just been bad luck doesnt negate the notion that hes rushing back from injury to play for England. Making the point about bad luck merely refutes an arguement that hes feigning injury - which is not an really arguement being made.

Owen has been rushing himself back for England games since he first arrived here - his first major injury for us was when he broke his metatarsal in a clash with Robinson near abouts New Year's Day iirc, several months after we signed him, yet that first half season before that injury, he was picking up small knocks and strains left, right and centre, regularly being unavailable for us, yet was always miraculously fit again for an England game. The accusation is that hes rushing back early to play for England, yet wouldnt do the same for us if there isnt an England game round the corner, which is an utter piss take if its true, even more so considering the wages hes on and the fee we paid for him.

hit the nail reet on the heed

But he aint rushing back.

I wish he'd just fuck off altogether. Wish we'd never bought him.

Nothing but bloody hassle and media shit that's come with it. If he wasn't at Newcastle, then we'd never have anything media worthy, we'd be a football club and not a media circus for once.

You're joking aren't you? They've created a frenzy out of very little in this instance as it is.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Spot on.Every word.

Owen return NOT a risk - surgeon

Dr Muschaweck, who developed what is known as the 'Minimal Repair Technique' especially for athletes, insists the risk of the injury re-occurring is minuscule.

She said: "The main difference to other operation techniques for the groin area is that only the defect of the posterior wall of the groin canal is opened and no sound tissue is destroyed.

"A special type of suturing is necessary, which keeps the elasticity of the abdominal wall. Therefore the training and full activity can start very early without any risk.

"The only thing stopping a quick return can be some pain which will keep the player off the field for some further days. The risk of the injury re-occurring is 0.1 per cent."

also, like Owen said  - Craig Bellamy has been to the same surgeon, had the same op and is returning earlier, but no one is going on about him.

i just wonder how you little teenage girls  will respond if/when he plays 25 games in a row for us.... will you ever stop you crisis-talk?

the True Faith boys get it right. (and disagree with the NUFC.com boys!)  O0 but it didn't need another thread!  :coolsmiley:

I like that fat cockney with the dubious facial hair who writes for The Times (Martin Samuels) but he ruffled a few Magpie feathers last week by basically telling us to shut the fuck up and put up with Michael Owen being England's property. Samuels is a cracking writer and one of the few who I'd sit and listen to crack on in that Sunday morning programme as he talks a bit of sense but he gave his brain a day off last week. Michael Owen has a contract to play for Newcastle United Football Club, we pay his massive wages and we paid his fee, daft as we were to do so and the insinuation in Samuels' piece that NUFC was okay for a bit of a tune up for Owen ahead of various internationals was a complete and utter load of shite.

However, it does illustrate a number of truisms that are quite obvious to even the untrained eye. The London media still can't accept Michael Owen isn't playing for one of "their clubs" i.e. the top four who they believe are the only clubs that matter who they fill their papers with day after day. The other is, despite inevitable protestations to the contrary football journalists don't have a football supporters' insight and that England is a media vehicle designed to shift newspapers to England's core following - the armchair tendency. No-one really supports England in the way they support their club and certainly for a support as geographically, socially, politically and economically isolated as Newcastle United's our club will always mean far more to us than another team that plays in London.

What this type of coverage has succeeded in doing however is to make Newcastle United's support absolutely fed up of hearing about how Michael Owen is, could be, should be, might be, is working really hard to get back for the England team. No news items concerning Owen can go by without mention of what this means to England and its barely coincidental that he plays for NUFC. I'm sick of it, your sick of it and I get the impression from his media appearances that Michael Owen is a bit sick of it as well. McLaren does him no favours by playing him all of the time and in my opinion, being reckless with his fitness. I can't blame a footballer for wanting to play football but McLaren seems to think England can't beat anyone without him in the side. Its rank bad management and completely unprofessional in terms of looking after players. If it was a smaller nation with less resources you could understand but this is England, to coin a phrase.

There are some who allege Owen is more interested in playing for England than he is for Newcastle United. No-one really knows that but come on, we must know Michael Owen hasn't wanted to be injured and miss games - it isn't his fault he picks up injuries but we do know that when he is on the pitch he is unquestionably, a world class striker and finisher. Something happened on Sunday involving Owen that has largely gone unreported. As Martins left the pitch there was loud booing - it appeared to be coming from the Gallowgate. Now I can't understand why anyone would boo the decision to sub Martins, who had largely been ineffective but there you go, maybe they were booing the decision to sub him. But when Owen came running on there was still some booing and whilst my first thoughts were it was the Everton fans, I'm told it came from the Gallowgate. What the fuck is all that about? What kind of people boo a player like Owen onto the pitch? I know, the same people who were cheering his goal minutes later. Newcastle United's support is the club's biggest asset but there is no denying it, there are some complete balloons amongst our number who should be pointed in the direction of the home for the perpetually bewildered. They are the kind of people who take all of their cues from SKY and the other slack-jawed media trading in urban myths and clichés based on a false premise.

There are those who question Owen's commitment to NUFC and reckon if one of the top four came in for him, he'd be off like a shot. Hmm, well, I'd guess that pretty much applies to every player we've got then eh? All players want to be in the Champions League and we are a million miles from that. Owen isn't a phoney badge kisser - I think we know he'd have liked to have gone back to Liverpool but that didn't happen. For better or for worse, he's stuck with us and we're stuck with him. He was the ultimate pop-star signing from Shepherd but he's also a very good footballer.

Owen wants to play for England and like most players he'll push himself to do that - its for others, namely McLaren to think of his career and protect him rather than flog him to death to attempt to preserve him in a job he remains woefully short of to do. Don't send him back broke.

i just wonder how you chatting teenagers will respond if/when he plays 25 games in a row for us.... will you ever stop you crisis-talk?

This is building to a crisis and it's not of our making. Bury your head in the sand if you wish.

Owen return NOT a risk - surgeon

Dr Muschaweck, who developed what is known as the 'Minimal Repair Technique' especially for athletes, insists the risk of the injury re-occurring is minuscule.

She said: "The main difference to other operation techniques for the groin area is that only the defect of the posterior wall of the groin canal is opened and no sound tissue is destroyed.

"A special type of suturing is necessary, which keeps the elasticity of the abdominal wall. Therefore the training and full activity can start very early without any risk.

"The only thing stopping a quick return can be some pain which will keep the player off the field for some further days. The risk of the injury re-occurring is 0.1 per cent."

also, like Owen said  - Craig Bellamy has been to the same surgeon, had the same op and is returning earlier, but no one is going on about him.

spot on.

fed up of reading Owen injury/England related posts with a negative spin.

He's a world class striker and Newcastle need him if we want to get in to Europe and possibly do well in it next season.  I don't think there is any problem with him playing for England at the moment, if there was he wouldn't play in these games.

Guest bluegeordie
No one knows if he's rushing back. His claim is that the surgeon said he's fit and ready to play. Presumably you're calling one of these people a liar?

A woman and a German? It never even dawned on me that she might be telling the truth :razz:

But seriously, whilst no statistics fully "speak for themselves", the nufc.com article certainly suggests that there's a case to answer, so much so that Wor Mickey could well do with some emotional support during this difficult time, not to mention a helping hand in getting "his side of the story" across to a hostile media and inexplicably suspicious (Geordie) public.

On the bright side though, as long as he can find the right ally, at least he can draw strength from a fairly recent historical precedent ... 

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/03/31/cochran_wideweb__430x253.jpg   

But i don't believe he is.  He wanted to start on sunday for us.  The fact he didnt for us, and probably will for england, is down to the managers

I honestly can't believe how far the debate has stemmed.

When he is injured, he couldn't play for us, he couldn't play for England either in that time.

When he is fit, he plays for us, and he can play for England too.

He doesn't pick and choose his time to get injured and/or how long it takes for him to recover.

It really is as simple as that.

I don't particularly think he's said anything wrong either. The experts have said he is fit and he is frustrated that we aren't letting him play for his country. So what? He's an honest guy and a fucking mint player who has already been a vitally important figure in the team thus far. Get over it.

the True Faith boys get it right. (and disagree with the NUFC.com boys!)  O0 but it didn't need another thread!  :coolsmiley:

I like that fat cockney with the dubious facial hair who writes for The Times (Martin Samuels) but he ruffled a few Magpie feathers last week by basically telling us to shut the fuck up and put up with Michael Owen being England's property. Samuels is a cracking writer and one of the few who I'd sit and listen to crack on in that Sunday morning programme as he talks a bit of sense but he gave his brain a day off last week. Michael Owen has a contract to play for Newcastle United Football Club, we pay his massive wages and we paid his fee, daft as we were to do so and the insinuation in Samuels' piece that NUFC was okay for a bit of a tune up for Owen ahead of various internationals was a complete and utter load of shite.

However, it does illustrate a number of truisms that are quite obvious to even the untrained eye. The London media still can't accept Michael Owen isn't playing for one of "their clubs" i.e. the top four who they believe are the only clubs that matter who they fill their papers with day after day. The other is, despite inevitable protestations to the contrary football journalists don't have a football supporters' insight and that England is a media vehicle designed to shift newspapers to England's core following - the armchair tendency. No-one really supports England in the way they support their club and certainly for a support as geographically, socially, politically and economically isolated as Newcastle United's our club will always mean far more to us than another team that plays in London.

What this type of coverage has succeeded in doing however is to make Newcastle United's support absolutely fed up of hearing about how Michael Owen is, could be, should be, might be, is working really hard to get back for the England team. No news items concerning Owen can go by without mention of what this means to England and its barely coincidental that he plays for NUFC. I'm sick of it, your sick of it and I get the impression from his media appearances that Michael Owen is a bit sick of it as well. McLaren does him no favours by playing him all of the time and in my opinion, being reckless with his fitness. I can't blame a footballer for wanting to play football but McLaren seems to think England can't beat anyone without him in the side. Its rank bad management and completely unprofessional in terms of looking after players. If it was a smaller nation with less resources you could understand but this is England, to coin a phrase.

There are some who allege Owen is more interested in playing for England than he is for Newcastle United. No-one really knows that but come on, we must know Michael Owen hasn't wanted to be injured and miss games - it isn't his fault he picks up injuries but we do know that when he is on the pitch he is unquestionably, a world class striker and finisher. Something happened on Sunday involving Owen that has largely gone unreported. As Martins left the pitch there was loud booing - it appeared to be coming from the Gallowgate. Now I can't understand why anyone would boo the decision to sub Martins, who had largely been ineffective but there you go, maybe they were booing the decision to sub him. But when Owen came running on there was still some booing and whilst my first thoughts were it was the Everton fans, I'm told it came from the Gallowgate. What the fuck is all that about? What kind of people boo a player like Owen onto the pitch? I know, the same people who were cheering his goal minutes later. Newcastle United's support is the club's biggest asset but there is no denying it, there are some complete balloons amongst our number who should be pointed in the direction of the home for the perpetually bewildered. They are the kind of people who take all of their cues from SKY and the other slack-jawed media trading in urban myths and clichés based on a false premise.

There are those who question Owen's commitment to NUFC and reckon if one of the top four came in for him, he'd be off like a shot. Hmm, well, I'd guess that pretty much applies to every player we've got then eh? All players want to be in the Champions League and we are a million miles from that. Owen isn't a phoney badge kisser - I think we know he'd have liked to have gone back to Liverpool but that didn't happen. For better or for worse, he's stuck with us and we're stuck with him. He was the ultimate pop-star signing from Shepherd but he's also a very good footballer.

Owen wants to play for England and like most players he'll push himself to do that - its for others, namely McLaren to think of his career and protect him rather than flog him to death to attempt to preserve him in a job he remains woefully short of to do. Don't send him back broke.

Spot on.

If, as it was reported, some people booed Owen on the pitch, they are going to end up driving him out.

And in turn end up playing right into the hands of the southern press.

Can people not see that like it say's in the article the press will not be happy until he's playing for one of the teams of the moment.

Aye that's a good idea, let's drive out our world class forward (sorry, head and shoulders above Martin's in terms of end product) because we read that we sould in the paper.

I honestly can't believe how far the debate has stemmed.

When he is injured, he couldn't play for us, he couldn't play for England either in that time.

When he is fit, he plays for us, and he can play for England too.

He doesn't pick and choose his time to get injured and/or how long it takes for him to recover.

It really is as simple as that.

I don't particularly think he's said anything wrong either. The experts have said he is fit and he is frustrated that we aren't letting him play for his country. So what? He's an honest guy and a fucking mint player who has already been a vitally important figure in the team thus far. Get over it.

Again, you've missed the point. The Newcastle fans could have no grievance at all, but it seems Owen has the hump and the media are looking to cause problems for us. Unless this problem gets sorted, Owen'll be off ASAP.

I haven't missed the point, thanks - i just don't think that that is the case. I'm really not that worried in the slightest.

So, you don't think this:

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=5514;type=avatar

could be a bad omen for the future of Owen + NUFC?

I think it's impact has been exaggerated, yes.

Overall point being - i can't see him leaving any time soon. It'll all be forgotten about after the international break and he scores the winner against Spurs.

Overall point being - i can't see him leaving any time soon. It'll all be forgotten about after the international break and he scores the winner against Spurs.

Of course it's been exagerrated, that's the point!

Guest bluegeordie

I agree that the possible scenario which you paint would calm things down considerably. However, I fear what might happen if Owen returns from international duty looking like this:

http://www.channel4.com/4laughs/media/images/scripts/2006/october/061009_week41/joke_comp_doctors_wk42_131006_359x256.jpg

Indeed, if this turns out to be the case, then I fear that the relationship which Owen shares with the club and the fans could go into a serious - perhaps even irreversible and fatal - tailspin. 

Guest mr quimbys beard

Bored with it all to be honest, let the lad play his football for club and country, scoring many a goal for both, an injury free run will shut the doubters up.