England - too many stars?

stozo

For me, the best England team would be:

Foster

Neville Richards Ferdinand Cole

Beckham Gerrard Barry

Rooney

Owen Smith

Never in a million years is Alan Smith an England player - and the sooner we stop picking players like Smith and Heskey - who are frankly s****, but can "do a job" - the sooner we might actually get a team together who can actually keep possesion when winning instead of constantly hoofing it up to the "big man" - and inevitably being on the recieving end of another attack 5 seconds later.

I think the team should be something like:

James

Richards Ferdinand King Cole

Barry Hargreaves

Gerrard Rooney Cole

Owen

I'd also consider Ashton if Owen plays s**** in that role.

If King's leg drops off in the not too distant future I'm not sure who I would put in...it would have to be a proper footballing centre half. Someone who can resist the urge to put their foot thru the ball every time he gets it. I think its important to load up the midfield. And its important to get Gerrard out of the engine room, we need players with a cool head to play 5 yard passes backwards and sideways for 20 minutes. And the new coach must be a european (or me) - someone who understands that if we've got the ball, the other team aren't going to put us under any pressure.

Did you not see Heskey's previous games? Why do you think Alan Shearer done so well, and those that played alongside hyim? The fact is, a fast paced direct style of play, with a centre forward holding up the ball and a quality runner playing off him is the only time we have any success. I Can understand you and McLaren wanting us to pass the ball from our six yard box into the opposition goal but it isn't going to happen.

For me, the best England team would be:

Foster

Neville Richards Ferdinand Cole

Beckham Gerrard Barry

Rooney

Owen Smith

I would play Richards on the right if you're going for that formation as the onus is on the full-backs to provide width and I'd have Terry in the centre. I'd play Crouch instead of Smith too.

who cares?

I'm an England fan, therefore I do. It don't feel it detracts from my supporting Newcastle. In fact, I know it doesn't.

who cares?

All those that don't care probably don't bother opening the thread, everyone is happy!

That doesn't make sense

It means the people that don't care about this thread probably have better things to be doing with their time than opening it up and reading it.

who cares?

All those that don't care probably don't bother opening the thread, everyone is happy!

That doesn't make sense

It means the people that don't care about this thread probably have better things to be doing with their time than opening it up and reading it.

and how does that reate to the phrase, everyone is happy?

The problem is mainly the midfield, and has been for a long while. No technical ability, no ability to keep the ball and pass it around comfortably, not enough ability on the ball to essentially piss about with it to create space and openings - all the England midfield can do is pass it robotically with minimal technique whilst looking entirely uncomfortable at the same time.

Not being able to maintain possession results in wave after wave of pressure, and thats what we see time and time again, not only against technically superior sides, but even against ones that on paper should be completely inferior (Albania, etc), with teams like that regularly matching or outperforming England in all areas except for goals.

The problem is mainly the midfield, and has been for a long while. No technical ability, no ability to keep the ball and pass it around comfortably, not enough ability on the ball to essentially piss about with it to create space and openings - all the England midfield can do is pass it robotically with minimal technique whilst looking entirely uncomfortable at the same time.

Not being able to maintain possession results in wave after wave of pressure, and thats what we see time and time again, not only against technically superior sides, but even against ones that on paper should be completely inferior (Albania, etc), with teams like that regularly matching or outperforming England in all areas except for goals.

You're right, this is a long-standing problem. The technique-gap between our players and Continental players has narrowed a bit in recent years, but it's still there.

Watching the last few England games, and the Under-21 match against Montenegro, I really noticed how the opposition were able to close down our midfield players quite easily, and pressure the ball when it was in our possession. By contrast, our players had to stand off a bit, because if they'd gone careering in, the opposition had enough skill to take advantage of that. The minute our players are put under pressure, they end up passing backwards rather than trying to exploit the gaps which then appear.

who cares?

That doesn't make sense

and how does that reate to the phrase, everyone is happy?

Because those that dont want to bloody read it dont have to, and those who are reading and posting dont have to flit between pointless messages like "who cares" !!! Anyway, enough...

This discussion is getting more pointless than posting in a thread you don't care about!

Guest thenorthumbrian

who cares?

I don't, aren't there In-ger-land boards where people can talk to all the cockney hangers on about this shite.