Owen: My words were twisted. I want to play for Newcastle United.

NSG

Guest Bramble OG

Cant belive so many people are desperate for him to sign a new contract, hes played 20 games in 2 years!, i agree with SA he needs to show he can stay fit before we go handing him a new 15-20m Contract.

Its about time the daft sniping at Owen was put to an end and the crowd started supporting someone who is a massive asset to Newcastle.

Can't be arsed to read the rest of this...  but I could not have put it any better.

Still, some people will not be happy.  This bullshit has to stop and hopefully him saying this will do exactly that.

Guest Knightrider

Its about time the daft speculation was put to an end and Owen started scoring and playing every week to become a massive asset to Newcastle.

Tbh

Your original point though, he's had support from day one and lots of it, more than warranted at times too. People may speak their minds on forums and at the pub but whenever Owen has played for us he's been cheered and supported no end.

Its about time the daft speculation was put to an end and Owen started scoring and playing every week to become a massive asset to Newcastle.

Tbh

Your original point though, he's had support from day one and lots of it, more than warranted at times too. People may speak their minds on forums and at the pub but whenever Owen has played for us he's been cheered and supported no end.

Very true. I can't think of a single club who would have shown more patience with a striker who had taken so much and given so little and spent the entire summer looking for a move after his side struggled to finish 5 points above relegation without him. He has done nothing to earn adulation here, yet still gets it. What more does he want? We have been suspicious of his motives and fed up with his injuries, but we have supported him every step of the way. For a striker who has given nothing and taken a lot, he can't ask for more from his club or its fans. The rest is up to Owen now, when the dust settles he will be remembered for what he did - or didn't do - on the pitch. It's all up to him.

Guest eyeball_tickler

has anyone provided any proof/quotes that owen was looking for a new club in the summer yet?

it seems like its turned into gospel now without any evidence.

has anyone provided any proof/quotes that owen was looking for a new club in the summer yet?

it seems like its turned into gospel now without any evidence.

Noone knows the facts, it's down to your interpretation of events.

To me the circumstances suggest he was trying to engineer a move. He made no effort to silence the speculation, despite the obvious effect it would have on the club, the team, the fans and the manager's plans. Allardyce never seemed sure he would stay, so I don't believe his "stubborn silence" story for a minute. He only pledged his future to the club when the clause was due to expire and no bid was forthcoming, which doesn't lend much weight to his claims that he was only silent because he didn't like being told what to do.

It doesn't make much difference at the end of the day, but to me it seems pretty obvious that he was trying to engineer a move.

Guest rebel_yell12

Hi, new here. 

Ohmelads -- there is another piece of evidence from this summer, found in Owen's documentary, mined from his bit about the racehorses.  He says "We'd just moved into Scott Parker's old house" before a particular race, in which a horse at his stables won (Maryolini, you can look up the horse if you like).  That race was July 16.  He bought a house in Newcastle sometime in May or June then, and moved into it in July after his family holiday, at the peak of this so-called "look for a new club".  That makes no sense, if he was desperately trying to engineer a move away.  Also, if you followed Owen's career closely, you'd know he rarely makes statements about any rumors surrounding him and hasn't since he became a professional when he was 17.  It's hardly new behavior, which makes his "stubborn silence story" more believable IMO.  It may not be the best thing for him to do, but he's consistent about it at least.  Little offhand bits, like in the interview above, speak more loudly to me than any official statement he makes, because they are less "posed" or vetted by an agent/club personnel.