Roeder: Luque will Shine

Guest smoggeordie

Guest optimistic nit

Its the first game i've seen luque play i think ever (or for a while anyway). there's no chance at all he's a striker. he's a wide player, and has quite a good dribble and cross on him.

Guest Bellers

Luque seems to enjoy playing the free role behind the striker. Over pre-season he's looked a lot sharper and his distribution has greatly improved. I'm still somewhat concerned about his threat in front of goal. He seems to miss when it's easier to score and his decision making is poor, maybe it will come with playing games, here's to hoping.

Guest Knightrider

Put Luque or even Ameobi in Villarreal's side and they'd get some joy. I watched Mari and Forlan closely and they didn't chase stuff down, sweat their nads off or put themselves about but they were a constant threat, even off the ball, because at any moment they knew they'd be played in or get involved in an interchange of passing and movement.

We really do need to start playing to feet because it's clear to me that the likes of Luque, Duff etc. will prosper from such a way of playing. Duff isn't a flank work horse which is what he mimicked today, he's a flair player who likes to buzz around, link up with play, play players in, go past people, drive forward and shoot at goal. He can't do that if he's asked to harry and press play to get the ball back because we can't fucking keep it long enough or find our man. And even when we do that, the movement is still poor.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Ameobi won't thrive in a team playing technical football, his technique is terrible. Anyone with an eye could see that today.

Guest optimistic nit

Ameobi won't thrive in a team playing technical football, his technique is terrible. Anyone with an eye could see that today.

i think the opposite. he has a shite first touch but the remarkable ability to dribble round people and can do a few flicks and stuff. he's really just peter crouch with a bad first touch.

he did a good knockdown for luque too i remember.

i think the opposite. he has a shite first touch but the remarkable ability to dribble round people and can do a few flicks and stuff. he's really just peter crouch with a bad first touch.

he did a good knockdown for luque too i remember.

I think this is right. He has difficulty bringing the ball under control, particularly when it's played at him with pace, but when it is under his control, he can do things with it. He can beat a man with footwork, and can weight a pass quite well. He's an unusual package. It's frustrating all right when the ball bounces away from him, but you have to bear in mind the positive things that he contributes as well.

• 2 months later...