Spurs appoint Juande Ramos

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'll be gutted if they get Juande Ramos tbh, I think given time and money he could build them into a real force.

Look at the job he's done at Sevilla, they were challenging for the Spanish title right until the end of last season and have won back to back UEFA Cups, all while playing very attractive football.

don't think he's any better than jol, and it'll mean another few years of restructuring. jol was building spurs to be a future force. all thats down the pan now.

3 trophies in the last 2 seasons while rubbing shoulders with Barcelona and Real Madrid all season is a big achievement for a club like Sevilla, they could have won the title last season. He's been a lot more successful than Martin Jol and has done so on a much smaller transfer budget, while having to deal with losing stars such as Baptista, Reyes, Sergio Ramos, because Sevilla are a selling club. A lot of clubs struggle when they sell their most influential players, but he has rebuilt them. He hasn't gone about it the Big Sam way either with functional, long ball tactics - Sevilla play flowing, attractive yet successful football and that suggests to me that Ramos could build a very good team if he had the money.

Oooh, 'the Spurs way'. :lol:

Spurs confirm they sacked him.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/clubstatement251007.html

LATEST NEWS

CLUB STATEMENT

We can confirm that the Board has this evening asked Martin Jol, Club Manager and Chris Hughton, First Team Coach to stand down from their positions with immediate effect.

We have not taken these decisions lightly or without recognition of the contribution both Martin and Chris have made to the Club.

Chairman Daniel Levy said: “For me, Martin and Chris’ departure is regrettable. Our greatest wish was to see results turn in our favour and for there to be no need for change. We feel honoured that Martin has been manager at our Club, having seen us qualify twice for Europe. Chris has been with us since 1977, bar a three year period, both as player and coach and he has been an excellent ambassador for the Club. They have been professional, popular and respected members of the coaching staff and there will always be a warm welcome for them both at the Lane.”

Martin Jol added: “I can understand the position of the Club in light of the results. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. Tottenham Hotspur is a special Club and I want to thank the terrific staff and players. For me the fans were always amazing with their support so I would also like to say thank you – I shall never forget them.”

We shall report in due course on new appointments to the coaching staff. In the interim, the First Team will be coached by our current Development Coach, Clive Allen and Alex Inglethorpe, our Youth Team manager.

I don't believe for a second he resigned, they wanted him out and came to an agreement.  The Spurs board are no better than Freddie ever was.  Both, in regards of respecting managers, are wank. 

See above. :laugh:

I don't believe for a second he resigned, they wanted him out and came to an agreement.  The Spurs board are no better than Freddie ever was.  Both, in regards of respecting managers, are w***. 

See above. :laugh:

Yeah, I was typing when you were posting.  I said the same, earlier in the thread.

Spurs confirm they sacked him.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/clubstatement251007.html

LATEST NEWS

CLUB STATEMENT

We can confirm that the Board has this evening asked Martin Jol, Club Manager and Chris Hughton, First Team Coach to stand down from their positions with immediate effect.

We have not taken these decisions lightly or without recognition of the contribution both Martin and Chris have made to the Club.

Chairman Daniel Levy said: “For me, Martin and Chris’ departure is regrettable. Our greatest wish was to see results turn in our favour and for there to be no need for change. We feel honoured that Martin has been manager at our Club, having seen us qualify twice for Europe. Chris has been with us since 1977, bar a three year period, both as player and coach and he has been an excellent ambassador for the Club. They have been professional, popular and respected members of the coaching staff and there will always be a warm welcome for them both at the Lane.”

Martin Jol added: “I can understand the position of the Club in light of the results. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. Tottenham Hotspur is a special Club and I want to thank the terrific staff and players. For me the fans were always amazing with their support so I would also like to say thank you – I shall never forget them.”

We shall report in due course on new appointments to the coaching staff. In the interim, the First Team will be coached by our current Development Coach, Clive Allen and Alex Inglethorpe, our Youth Team manager.

What a load of bollocks that is! If they didn't want rid of him why were they tapping up someone else in the summer? Football's overflowing with bullshitters, isn't it. :rolleyes:

Levy is so full of shit.  What a seedy little fucking wankstain he is.  I'd love to wet my hand and smack his bald scalp as hard as possible. 

"What did the five fingers say to the scalp?"  http://www.justtotheleft.com/images/five_fingers.JPG

Finally, i feel sorry for Jol. Watching him tonight in the game on Irish TV with no sound and no idea he was on his way out, i could feel my sympathetic side coming to the fore anyway.

I dont think he is that bad a manager, just wasnt able to turn round the squad of players he bought. I blame them more than Jol. They played some decent stuff tonight (again) but they just lacked a little bit of luck. They could have quite easily won it by a few goals.

Finally, i feel sorry for Jol. Watching him tonight in the game on Irish TV with no sound and no idea he was on his way out, i could feel my sympathetic side coming to the fore anyway.

I dont think he is that bad a manager, just wasnt able to turn round the squad of players he bought. I blame them more than Jol. They played some decent stuff tonight (again) but they just lacked a little bit of luck. They could have quite easily won it by a few goals.

They have had a shit start to the season no doubt, but the club (and board) have gotten ideas above their station again IMO. They're not breaking into the top four and they sack the man who gave them the chance. Agree they played good football on the whole like. The signing of Bent will surely be seen as a major error given their defensive issues.

I'd rather have Jol at Newcastle than a host of english managers.

I agree about Bent, not sure anyone wouldnt either.

Classic example of why it is so important to manage expectations of those who above and below you. His responsibility ultimately.

I'll be gutted if they get Juande Ramos tbh, I think given time and money he could build them into a real force.

Look at the job he's done at Sevilla, they were challenging for the Spanish title right until the end of last season and have won back to back UEFA Cups, all while playing very attractive football.

don't think he's any better than jol

LOL

Aye for all his Uefa cups, Spanish cups and title challenges he's never finished 5th in the Premiership after spending more money.

I don't know about sorting out Spurs' defence mind, Sevilla seem more attacking than Spurs with the fullbacks playing as wingers most of the time.

Guest optimistic nit

LOL

Aye for all his Uefa cups, Spanish cups and title challenges he's never finished 5th in the Premiership after spending more money.

I don't know about sorting out Spurs' defence mind, Sevilla seem more attacking than Spurs with the fullbacks playing as wingers most of the time.

[move]I'm pretty sure you're underestimating the achievement of getting spurs to where they are. spurs were a mid table team at best when he took over but he transformed them into easily the 5th best team in the premiership (before the start of this season). not exactly a mean feat considering the premier league has much more stregnth in depth than la liga. La liga have 2 great teams, and one good team valencia. villereal and osasuna have finished 4th or better in recent years. would they have made it into the top 6 of the PL in those seasons? i think not.

Jol has done brilliantly at spurs who before him always flattered to decieve. i'm not saying that ramos hasn't achieved much, because he has, but with a bit of luck jol could have finished 4th last year. [/move]

Bad news...Especially if they get Ramos. Hate Spurs as much as anyone, and I can't understand how anyone would see this as great news. Fair enough, he's done very well with them, but the way things were going, they haven't looked like turning things around.

LOL

I'm pretty sure you're underestimating the achievement of getting spurs to where they are. spurs were a mid table team at best when he took over but he transformed them into easily the 5th best team in the premiership (before the start of this season). not exactly a mean feat considering the premier league has much more stregnth in depth than la liga. La liga have 2 great teams, and one good team valencia. villereal and osasuna have finished 4th or better in recent years. would they have made it into the top 6 of the PL in those seasons? i think not.

Jol has done brilliantly at spurs who before him always flattered to decieve. i'm not saying that ramos hasn't achieved much, because he has, but with a bit of luck jol could have finished 4th last year.

I think Jol is a good manager who has been undermined by his board ever since the summer. The players must have suspected his days were numbered ever since the opening day defeat to Sunderland, that's bound to have affected his control over the dressing room.

Finishing 5th with Spurs two seasons in a row is a good achievement, but that's been done with a lot of money and there have been no trophies at the end of it. I don't think it compares to what Ramos has done at Sevilla, where he has made history.

I think you're being a bit harsh on La Liga, in recent years teams like Villarreal have indeed broken into the top 4 over there, but don't forget that they went on to knock out Everton (who finished 4th in our league) and it took a last-minute penalty save from Lehmann for Arsenal to get the better of them. Last season Sevilla dumped Spurs out of the UEFA Cup before going on to win it. To think that a Spurs reject like Kanoute would be the thorn in their side shows just what Ramos has accomplished there. I think the Premier League only just shades the Spanish league in terms of depth.  La Liga doesn't have the same kind of money floating around as the Premier League, but the advantage clubs have in Spain is that they can tap up the latest talent from South America, hence players like Dani Alves and Riquelme building up their reputations at smaller clubs. This gives the smaller clubs an advantage which smaller Premiership clubs don't have, Sevilla for example signed Dani Alves and Baptista for pittance, yet clubs like Newcastle and Spurs fork out huge amounts for some pretty average players. Just because there is much more money in the Premier League, it does not mean there is much more quality.