Steve McClaren

Dave

He started really well there, pretty sure they were in the top 6 at one point and he looked to have found his level. But once he goes on a bad run he struggles to get out of it.

It seems a little harsh but you can't really underestimate the corrosive effect he must have on a dressing room once things go wrong. It's always been a big act with McClaren trying to impress the camera's... he's fooling no-one.

I could tell that he didn't have long in his job on Friday after the Brighton game, his TV appearance seemed to be aimed at his bosses as he was virtually pleading for more time.

IMG_0469.jpg

'Just give me 1...million more games'

Far too unappreciated. :lol:  :clap:

• 1 month later...

Take a look at @5liveSport's Tweet:

How on earth did this fella work for us, infact anywhere?

:lol:

I think he makes a good point re the general attitude of the english to tactics, but you have to wonder what the fuck his assistants and team were thinking.

Guest chopey

I remember reading something when Rafa was at Liverpool that he couldn't rely on Gerrard to hold down a position he just kept wandering out of position so he just gave him a free role in the team

So, Steve McClaren essentially got told how the opposition and Twente were going to play by the 21 year old captain and the coaching staff. Just happened to coincide with the biggest success of his career.......

Guest Howaythetoon

I remember reading something when Rafa was at Liverpool that he couldn't rely on Gerrard to hold down a position he just kept wandering out of position so he just gave him a free role in the team

Rafa moved him to the right of midfield which Gerrard didn't like but he had his most productive season in that position since he emerged at Liverpool.

Take a look at @5liveSport's Tweet:

How on earth did this fella work for us, infact anywhere?

That 5LiveSport background.  Magedia.

Christ. Is he basically saying that his successful stone in Holland was effectively because the players knew what to do without his instruction?

Rafa moved him to the right of midfield which Gerrard didn't like but he had his most productive season in that position since he emerged at Liverpool.

Gerrard was a tactical nightmare. Shelvey has that side of Gerrard's game with less ability and mobility.

Guest Howaythetoon

Tbf the whole program was really good and he did make some really good points about the attitude of the English game holding us back.

He's a good coach, but he's a wet drip of a man with zero leadership skills. It was a decent program like you said.

Guest Howaythetoon

Gerrard was a tactical nightmare. Shelvey has that side of Gerrard's game with less ability and mobility.

Gerrard was a great player, but as you said tactically he wasn't the best and I always considered his technique suspect at times as well. He often over ran the ball when running with it for example and that meant he was charging around after it, tackling into players etc. which looked good on MOTD, but it was to the detriment of his all-round game. I think its an English disease, we like to run with the ball, but don't seem to have much control over it. Barkley is similar and Oxlade-Chamberlain at Arsenal. They just need to relax more. Now compare the likes of Scholes and Lampard on the ball and when moving with it. Different players of course, but far more technical.

HTT :thup:

Especially on the whole English players stuff, football intelligence wise most of the players that come through are very thick.

Even if they are technically and physically gifted, they don't make the smartest decisions over the last 20 years or so.

I really do wonder what the coaches are teaching these players at youth level tbh.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT :thup:

Especially on the whole English players stuff, football intelligence wise most of the players that come through are very thick.

Even if they are technically and physically gifted, they don't make the smartest decisions over the last 20 years or so.

I really do wonder what the coaches are teaching these players at youth level tbh.

We like our players to run around, to bust a gut, to get stuck in, to win, to battle hard etc. and its something we drill into our kids as parents, as coaches, as fans and as managers when they turn pro. Its something we deem as important or even more important than skill and technique.

Gazza was the same by the way, that's why he had those injuries. He would over run the ball, as he did against Germany in the Semi at Italia 90 that got him his booking. And he was gifted technically and skillfully and massively so. But tactically he lacked brains and his decision making was very poor at times for someone as gifted as he was. That said, it is every English player's DNA to charge around, to get stuck in, to be brave, to put a tackle in. That's our game in a nutshell, with skill and technique coming secondary.

I read an article the other day about Italian managers and the way they are taught, it contained numerous quotes highlighting the importance of teaching the player to make the right decision under pressure. There's no way our young players can be receiving that kind of coaching.

I read an article the other day about Italian managers and the way they are taught, it contained numerous quotes highlighting the importance of teaching the player to make the right decision under pressure. There's no way our young players can be receiving that kind of coaching.

That's because it's pointless when our game is played at 100mph and refs are encouraged to be lenient because it's 'a man's game'. You can do that for 12 yr olds maybe, but once kids start maturing, the club coaches are going to want players who can stand up to a physical battering. If you watch football played on the continent it's a totally different game with players bringing the ball out under almost no pressure until they reach the opposition half.

So, Steve McClaren essentially got told how the opposition and Twente were going to play by the 21 year old captain and the coaching staff. Just happened to coincide with the biggest success of his career.......

Now to the curious question  Who was this 21 year old captain?

That's because it's pointless when our game is played at 100mph and refs are encouraged to be lenient because it's 'a man's game'. You can do that for 12 yr olds maybe, but once kids start maturing, the club coaches are going to want players who can stand up to a physical battering. If you watch football played on the continent it's a totally different game with players bringing the ball out under almost no pressure until they reach the opposition half.

Surely that would make it even more important in the PL?