Tal Ben Haim

Guest DavB93

Guest Ridzuan

He is no better than the current bunch we have here and I wouldnt want to have a player who rejected playing for us when Chelsea came looking for him.Just because he doesnt play regularly for Chelsea anymore doesnt mean we have to be his saviour and get him here.We must look for a top class and established defender if we want to achieve better things.

Sign him and move Rozehnal into midfield instead of Butt.

I said this before...I like Rozehnal runs forward and he has an eye for goal, I like his passing too...I think he would make a really good defensive midfielder...

I said this before...I like Rozehnal runs forward and he has an eye for goal, I like his passing too...I think he would make a really good defensive midfielder...

he started his career as a defensive midfielder, why do you suppose he moved back ? defenders naturally get more space when moving out with the ball than in the more congested midfield.

Personally I'd stay clear of him, he's turned us down once this year so obviously he doesn't want to join us.

If we are going to sign someone I think we should be looking to improve, not break an even back four, we need to constantly look for players who are better than what we have or players who will develop and become better than what we have, not just another make weight

Guest vivikat

Personally I'd stay clear of him, he's turned us down once this year so obviously he doesn't want to join us.

He turned Newcastle United (in turmoil, post-takeover, after a pretty ordinary season) down for Chelsea (big money, have won the Prem recently, the chance to work with Mourinho). What would you do?

If it hasn't worked out for him at Chelsea, then hand him a box of tissues, give him a big cuddle and get him to sign a freshly minted NUFC contract. He's proven in the past that he can be a solid defender in BSA's teams, so why not? Chances are that it'll be a minimal transfer fee and he's not prone to handing in a sick note a la Babayaro.

Plenty of players have made the transfer to a big club, hasn't worked out, moved onto another (smaller) club with a different feel and they've managed to get back to their best - Woodgate (at Boro) being a prime example of this.

He turned Newcastle United (in turmoil, post-takeover, after a pretty ordinary season) down for Chelsea (big money, have won the Prem recently, the chance to work with Mourinho). What would you do?

If it hasn't worked out for him at Chelsea, then hand him a box of tissues, give him a big cuddle and get him to sign a freshly minted NUFC contract. He's proven in the past that he can be a solid defender in BSA's teams, so why not? Chances are that it'll be a minimal transfer fee and he's not prone to handing in a sick note a la Babayaro.

Plenty of players have made the transfer to a big club, hasn't worked out, moved onto another (smaller) club with a different feel and they've managed to get back to their best - Woodgate (at Boro) being a prime example of this.

I think Woodgate's a bit of an anomaly, he's had a strange career really. Your point stands but there are still a few question marks in my mind about going back in for him. Firstly, Ben Haim chose money over first-team football. I guess you could argue a lot of players would have done the same, but there's an awful lot who wouldn't. Secondly and more importantly, when we failed to sign Ben Haim we switched to other targets. The positions are filled now, so anyone coming in should be significantly better than them to make their signature worth our while. Back then we were desperate for any half-decent defenders, now we have a bit of depth we can and should be a lot more selective over who we bring in.

Guest vivikat

now we have a bit of depth

If the NUFC bench was a pool, metaphorically speaking, depth would not be a strong point. In fact, it'd probably be more akin one of those pools they use in rehabilitation facilities: rather shallow, and full of injured people.

he started his career as a defensive midfielder, why do you suppose he moved back ? defenders naturally get more space when moving out with the ball than in the more congested midfield.

Did he? He played the first half of last season in midfield because of injuries but from what I've read about him he's always been a defender.

now we have a bit of depth

If the NUFC bench was a pool, metaphorically speaking, depth would not be a strong point. In fact, it'd probably be more akin one of those pools they use in rehabilitation facilities: rather shallow, and full of injured people.

Point is we're not as desperate as we were back then for defenders and should therefore be more selective. I'm not convinced Tal Ben Haim is significantly better than what we've got and I'm not a fan of signing an abundance of mediocre players because it results in a lot of dead wood. We've padded out the squad, now it's time to sign players who will walk into the first team and displace others. In other words, we should only sign players better than the ones we have. I'm not sure about Tal Ben Haim, I still don't know a great deal about him but what I've seen this season he looks very average.

Did he? He played the first half of last season in midfield because of injuries but from what I've read about him he's always been a defender.

not in the czech republic, i understand he was converted to a centre half when playing in belgium.

not in the czech republic, i understand he was converted to a centre half when playing in belgium.

Where did you read that?