First three names on the team sheet?

NSG

He needs a goal, basically.

Some service might help him as well like.

You're the one slagging him for missing chances. Make your fucking mind up numbnuts ;)

You're the one slagging him for missing chances. Make your fucking mind up numbnuts ;)

Well he has missed some chances this season that I would have expected a player of his calibre to score, that I'm not denying.

But he could still do with some service. ;)

Well he has missed some chances this season that I would have expected a player of his calibre to score, that I'm not denying.

But he could still do with some service. ;)

Aye. I actually thought he did ok on Saturday. And I thought Viduka did very well, especially as he'd just come back. Having said that though I'd have had Martins on a lot earlier. I think our goal left Allardyce unsure whether to stick or twist.

On reflection, and having read the other posts, I'd actually say that there are 4 players who have to start every game at the moment. Not necessarily out of quality, but out of necessity. They are: Enrique, Beye, N'Zogbia and Milner.

We only have two fit full backs and two fit wingers and for me they have to start for the good of the balance of the team. If any of those 4 don't start then you're looking at square pegs in round holes, players shuffling positions and that's where the problems tend to start. If those 4 start, you've got a balanced team and will probably have width. Those 4 have only started together twice this season, in the home win over Everton and the away defeat to Arsenal. Until Duff is fit those 4 pick themselves IMO, barring a serious lack of form. Allardyce is trying to keep Emre, Butt, Barton, Smith and Geremi all happy and it seems the width of the team has been sacrificed to accommodate this lot. None of them are wide players.

On reflection, and having read the other posts, I'd actually say that there are 4 players who have to start every game at the moment. Not necessarily out of quality, but out of necessity. They are: Enrique, Beye, N'Zogbia and Milner.

We only have two fit full backs and two fit wingers and for me they have to start for the good of the balance of the team. If any of those 4 don't start then you're looking at square pegs in round holes, players shuffling positions and that's where the problems tend to start. If those 4 start, you've got a balanced team and will probably have width. Those 4 have only started together twice this season, in the home win over Everton and the away defeat to Arsenal. Until Duff is fit those 4 pick themselves IMO, barring a serious lack of form. Allardyce is trying to keep Emre, Butt, Barton, Smith and Geremi all happy and it seems the width of the team has been sacrificed to accommodate this lot. None of them are wide players.

I agree.

Guest rebel_yell12

Owen didn't "squander" both chances v. Sunderland -- one was saved, the other he took too long to control (so, one was squandered not both).  If Oba had missed the first, I'd have said he squandered it -- as I just said Owen did.  As for the second, I'd have the same opinion of Oba as I have of Owen's chance.  And reading James Milner's opinion of the goal he got and Owen's contribution to the team makes me think that the people within Newcastle aren't questioning Owen in the manner so many on these boards (and others) are doing.  Well, that or "MO" has the wool pulled over everyone's eyes within the club.  He must be a right charming bugger then.

Also, as I've said before, I give Owen much credit for the own-goal v. Pompey (and Milner is giving Owen credit for the goal v. Sunderland).  Owen's positioning against Pompey forced that own-goal -- which did f*** all for the result, really, but still, credit to the little lad for that.  And Milner at least thinks Owen was partly responsible for his goal, with his positioning and movement distracting the 'keeper ('keeper thought Owen was the target, defended that, not the actual ball from Milner). 

I'd like to see Owen get a few for England, get his confidence and everything back up, then come back and take on Liverpool.  There are some Liverpool fans I'm sure Owen would more than love to shut up.  Plus, if played with Martins, the pace and movement of the two could cause Hyypia and Carragher (neither particularly fast) some real problems, IMO.  Assuming the midfield doesn't get played off the pitch again.  I'm convinced that Newcastle's problems lie mainly in the middle, not with the strikers or even the backs (and deffo not the goalies -- I like both Given and Harper). 

Without getting into the Owen argument too much, are people seriously suggesting he isn't a good finisher?

No.

Difficult to see what point Tim was making then or why you backed him up.

Im saying hes not the deadly finisher hes hyped up to be. If he really was then the fact he dosent offer much at all in general play could be excsued, but he isnt imo, he isnt this 'one chance one goal' player. His reputation gets him by so much and Martins offers much more imo.

agree with tim and have explained why on other occasions. owen is a good instinctive finisher, he'll easily put away a cross flashed across the box without blinking, but most of the work is done by his movement and anticipation, not the actual striking itself, which sorely lacks the power of shearer or the variation of fowler. when he is shooting from outside the box, or when he has to think about what he is doing he is not so good.