Our Greatest Youth Product?

Tooj

I'm talking about our players who have come through the youth system over the years at our club, not necesseraly have to have had their best years at ourselves, but I'm obviously talking about started their career in our youth ranks and then our first team.

If we're talking obviously going through the club and becoming a huge success, Jackie Milburn is the name that immediately springs to mind, as well really as Bobby Moncur.

Alan Kennedy as well, when you look at the career he had, although obviously the success wasn't with ourselves.

Gazza is the one for me though, when you look at how big he actually became on the world stage.  :thup:

Fire away with some more guys, although I can see it turning into a selling our best players debate again due to the old board.  O0

Guest icemanblue

Weve got a few exciting ones in the u18 and reserves atm

Yeah.  Got this lad called Pattison, better than Gazza they reckon like.

Serious question though, Middlesborough atm seem to have an absolutely awesome academy, players like David Wheater, Stewart Downing and Adam Johnson all coming nicely through the academy there, why aren't Newcastle updating their facilities and trying to attract some local talent, i.e poaching the talent Middlesbrough may also poach, 'cause players like Adam Johnson going right under your noses to a smaller club, is a little silly. Something I reckon you lot should invest in, homegrown talent as there seems to be a fair bit in the north-east as boro are demonstrating.

Serious question though, Middlesborough atm seem to have an absolutely awesome academy, players like David Wheater, Stewart Downing and Adam Johnson all coming nicely through the academy there, why aren't Newcastle updating their facilities and trying to attract some local talent, i.e poaching the talent Middlesbrough may also poach, 'cause players like Adam Johnson going right under your noses to a smaller club, is a little silly. Something I reckon you lot should invest in, homegrown talent as there seems to be a fair bit in the north-east as boro are demonstrating.

Because we don't think like that, 12 months ago we only had one scout on our books. :lol:

Not sure Milburn could be counted as having come through the youth system. Didn't play for any Newcastle team until he was about 20.

We didn't sign him though from anyone did we? That's why I'm including him as one of our own products.

Not sure Milburn could be counted as having come through the youth system. Didn't play for any Newcastle team until he was about 20.

We didn't sign him though from anyone did we? That's why I'm including him as one of our own products.

Ah. I see where you're coming from.

Didn't shepherd invest 10 mil on the youth system?

Newcastle hould be a prime location for young talent, i don't understand why our youth team is so subpar.

Taylor is a good one, not the best we've ever had mind

He spent £10 million on a new "top of the range" training facility which turned out to be a squash court that had been painted.

Didn't shepherd invest 10 mil on the youth system?

Newcastle hould be a prime location for young talent, i don't understand why our youth team is so subpar.

Taylor is a good one, not the best we've ever had mind

He spent £10 million on a new "top of the range" training facility which turned out to be a squash court that had been painted.

That platinum paint is pretty sweet-looking though. You can't fault the man- he has style

In Bobbys autobiography it says that in the late 90s the FA changed its rulings that clubs must have an academy to be able to sign youngsters. He also says that We didnt actually establish a proper academy until after he came here, which could explain the lack of good youngsters coming through in the past decade or so.

The Newcastle academy is shit. Seriously, once young boys leave their boys club and go there, they actually stagnate and go backwards instead of improving.

There is a real consensus also of the coaches not giving a shit about the entire squad. As far as they are concerned if they can get one superstar per crop then they are happy, the rest can go to pot.

I watched an academy match a few weeks ago, I won't clarify the age group, but it was youngun's, not the senior u19 lot or anything like that, and there was one sort of 'superstar' of the team up front, and he was taking the corners, free-kicks the lot. It was all played around him, not very 'professional' shall we say.

At the end of the game, the 'warm-down' if that's what you want to call it was nothing short of scandolous. The age of the lads, it's very crucial they stretch off the certain muscles and warm down correctly, but they're just not getting the correct leadership.

I hope Big Sam sorts it out in time, though naturally he's got a big job on with the first team at the moment.

You'd have to go for Gazza for what he did at Italia 90 in my opinion, never seen an English player turn it like he did at a world cup.

With regards to our current lack of players, not sure how much I blame the academy. For sure we should be doing a lot better but for me that would be by brining in young players from further a field. Middlesbrough has been mentioned as a shining example but who exactely have they produced who is a good player. For me it's only Downing and even then he's just half decent.

I said it in an earlier thread there's been a shocking lack of talent North of the M62 since Shearer. I can't think of one player (bar Woodgate if he wasn't injured) who you could regard as "world class". Compare this to some of the players produced in the North East and Scotland in the years before Shearer. Also compare how many good players the North East is producing to the North West.

The Newcastle academy is s***. Seriously, once young boys leave their boys club and go there, they actually stagnate and go backwards instead of improving.

There is a real consensus also of the coaches not giving a s*** about the entire squad. As far as they are concerned if they can get one superstar per crop then they are happy, the rest can go to pot.

I watched an academy match a few weeks ago, I won't clarify the age group, but it was youngun's, not the senior u19 lot or anything like that, and there was one sort of 'superstar' of the team up front, and he was taking the corners, free-kicks the lot. It was all played around him, not very 'professional' shall we say.

At the end of the game, the 'warm-down' if that's what you want to call it was nothing short of scandolous. The age of the lads, it's very crucial they stretch off the certain muscles and warm down correctly, but they're just not getting the correct leadership.

I hope Big Sam sorts it out in time, though naturally he's got a big job on with the first team at the moment.

This has been a big gripe of mine for years - KK wasn't interested when he was here(Alan Thompson said that he felt that KK gave that impression when he arrived, and it was one of the reasons he left.).

Not only do we need a TOP local Academy, we also need one(or at least, better connections) in an overseas country..

There are fewer and fewer kids in the UK seriously interested in playing football - schools selling playing fields, lack of competitive attitude taught in schools and playing on Computers are all to blame, but as has been said, Boro have done it and the lack of foresight & planning at NUFC has been appalling, as has been the selection of Coaching staff for youngsters...

It all needs sorting like yesterday....