Should Allardyce have been given/spent more in the summer?

Parky

The question in the thread title asks 'Should Allardyce have been given/spent more in the summer?'

I think he was given the money required to bring in the players that he wanted and they could get, as for should he have spent more, he's struggling to work with the ones he's brought in so the answer to that is probably no.

So. Your conclusion is that Allardyce didnt' want to buy top quality footballers ?

And, do you think right sided players, such as that lad Bentley at Blackburn for instance, would have been turned down by Sam as a replacement for Solano [assuming you automatically assume the board would have stumped up the fee] if the board had said he had the money available to buy such a player.

Somehow, I think - again - I'm not really going to get an honest answer here, because it doesn't suit the "opinion"

Where did I say that Allardyce didn't want to buy top quality footballers? 

Why did you bring Bentley into this?  I must have missed something somewhere because he just looks like a random name dropped in from nowhere.

You must have indeed dropped in from nowhere, as usual. See where I said "for instance".

Your outright refusal to accept that the current board have proved nothing yet and not showed us they have the true ambition of the old board, is absolutely hilarious. But I pretty much expected it, and not just from you.

Never mind, they are good at PR instead. So thats alright then.

I'll ask the question again. Why do you think we have not replaced Solano, and who is responsible for making the decision not to do it and why. Its a fairly basic question.

Baggy has avoided answering it, so you have company.

yet we are not particularly any higher in the league, and not looking any better ?

Dave. Do you seriously think that Liverpool, Manu and Chelsea would be where they were if they didn't go out and buy top quality footballers for the big fees ? [you have to leave out Arsenal because Wenger is unique. In all my time I have never seen someone able to put together such quality teams for so little money, so he's a one off]

Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea did what we've done during the last window, they backed the decision of the manager.

I'm very pleased you are happy that we bought players of the calibre of Torres, Anderson, and Nani. I'm not surprised, as you were also happy with us selling Beardsley to Liverpool and replacing him with Mirandinha for a quarter of the price, kidding yourself we were competing with them.

The question in the thread title asks 'Should Allardyce have been given/spent more in the summer?'

I think he was given the money required to bring in the players that he wanted and they could get, as for should he have spent more, he's struggling to work with the ones he's brought in so the answer to that is probably no.

So. Your conclusion is that Allardyce didnt' want to buy top quality footballers ?

And, do you think right sided players, such as that lad Bentley at Blackburn for instance, would have been turned down by Sam as a replacement for Solano [assuming you automatically assume the board would have stumped up the fee] if the board had said he had the money available to buy such a player.

Somehow, I think - again - I'm not really going to get an honest answer here, because it doesn't suit the "opinion"

Why do top quality footballers have to be massively expensive?

I was delighted with the Summer's transfer activity by and large, and a big part of that was the fact he filled 99% of what we needed without spending silly money.

yet we are not particularly any higher in the league, and not looking any better ?

Dave. Do you seriously think that Liverpool, Manu and Chelsea would be where they were if they didn't go out and buy top quality footballers for the big fees ? [you have to leave out Arsenal because Wenger is unique. In all my time I have never seen someone able to put together such quality teams for so little money, so he's a one off]

But where we are in the league right now has absolutely fuck all to do with the personnel in my opinion, it's how we're using them (or not). Look at all the threads lately and since the start of the season, not all that many comments about the players we are missing (though some holes remain, everyone can see that); most are about the tactics, the formations, the selections.

Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea have/have had outstanding managers mate. We've got a man feeling his way into a much bigger task than he's ever taken on.

I could easily use Spurs this year as an example of how spending loads of money does nothing without the proper organisation. Or Leeds.

Or us.

Liverpool and Man Utd go out and buy top quality players because they're adding to already excellent squads, we on the other hand finished last season with an average squad which looked like it could get relegated, now maybe we could have gone out and bought 2 or 3 top quality players (although we would struggle to find them) but we would only be papering over the cracks of what is a pretty average one at best, instead we've done the right thing IMO and gone out and bought 9 players instead that will pad out the squad and make it much better, as you say Dave it's tactical issue's and Sam playing people out of position for some reason that's our problem this season.

It's a building process and the majority of the people who wanted Allardyce here was because they thought this club needed a complete makeover from top to bottom and that he was the man to do it after what he did at Bolton, if people thought he would come in, wave a magic wand and have us in the Champions League at the end of the season then they need a reality check, he said it could get worse before it got better and he was right.

As I've said it's a building process, something that will take 2 or 3 years to get where he wants it to be, his first job was to pad out the squad with a large quantity of players which gives us strength and depth, his next job will be to sort out the players who are not good enough and replace them with top quality players if we can attract them in January and the Summer, we then keep building from there.

It's shit being where we are but it's something we're going to have to live with if we truly want stability and a genuine 'big' club at the end of it that's capable of competing with the top 4 without having to run the risk of going bust to do it.

Disappointing that people who wanted him here as their first choice are turning on him 12 games in but there you go, he wasn't my first choice and I've been pissed off and baffled by some of his decisions but I think in time he will get it right.

Be patient.

I was delighted with the Summer's transfer activity by and large, and a big part of that was the fact he filled 99% of what we needed without spending silly money.

But where we are in the league right now has absolutely fuck all to do with the personnel in my opinion, it's how we're using them (or not). Look at all the threads lately and since the start of the season, not all that many comments about the players we are missing (though some holes remain, everyone can see that); most are about the tactics, the formations, the selections.

Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea have/have had outstanding managers mate. We've got a man feeling his way into a much bigger task than he's ever taken on.

I could easily use Spurs this year as an example of how spending loads of money does nothing without the proper organisation. Or Leeds.

Or us.

Liverpool and Man Utd go out and buy top quality players because they're adding to already excellent squads, we on the other hand finished last season with an average squad which looked like it could get relegated, now maybe we could have gone out and bought 2 or 3 top quality players (although we would struggle to find them) but we would only be papering over the cracks of what is a pretty average one at best, instead we've done the right thing IMO and gone out and bought 9 players instead that will pad out the squad and make it much better, as you say Dave it's tactical issue's and Sam playing people out of position for some reason that's our problem this season.

It's a building process and the majority of the people who wanted Allardyce here was because they thought this club needed a complete makeover from top to bottom and that he was the man to do it after what he did at Bolton, if people thought he would come in, wave a magic wand and have us in the Champions League at the end of the season then they need a reality check, he said it could get worse before it got better and he was right.

As I've said it's a building process, something that will take 2 or 3 years to get where he wants it to be, his first job was to pad out the squad with a large quantity of players which gives us strength and depth, his next job will be to sort out the players who are not good enough and replace them with top quality players if we can attract them in January and the Summer, we then keep building from there.

It's shit being where we are but it's something we're going to have to live with if we truly want stability and a genuine 'big' club at the end of it that's capable of competing with the top 4 without having to run the risk of going bust to do it.

Disappointing that people who wanted him here as their first choice are turning on him 12 games in but there you go, he wasn't my first choice and I've been pissed off and baffled by some of his decisions but I think in time he will get it right.

Be patient.

Stunning return to form ;) and couldnt agree more.

Whats key to all that is that Ashley has to go out and spend large chunks of coin in the £20+m region on a couple of players if we want to compete with the top in the near future. Quite whether January is the time to do that from a business perspective is debatebale given the nature of the market in the January window. He definitely has to spend though. If Allardyce wants proven premiership experience its not going to be cheap for even average players either.

Or us.

Be patient.

Whats key to all that is that Ashley has to go out and spend large chunks of coin in the £20+m region on a couple of players if we want to compete with the top in the near future. Quite whether January is the time to do that from a business perspective is debatebale given the nature of the market in the January window. He definitely has to spend though. If Allardyce wants proven premiership experience its not going to be cheap for even average players either.

And he'll spend too IMO.

Did Allardyce spend what he did in the Summer because that's all he was given or because he refused to spend for the sake of it? We know he had trouble attracting players to the club because we had no European football and for a few other reasons, players like Wes Brown, Silvestre, Heinze, Dragotinavic (sp?) would all cost a fair bit and are all players we're supposed to have failed to convince for one reason or another, add to that his jolly boys outing with Kenny Shepherd to Barcelona after Edmilson and Gudjohnson, a failed bid for Diouf near the end of the transfer window according to Clarkie (who could well have been Sam's Solano replacement) and I think the money was there if he wanted it.

Another reason some wanted Allardyce was for how good he was in the transfer market and how he was cautious and didn't waste money, I think he wasn't going to be rushed into buying players he didn't really want for the sake of it, instead signing the likes of Cacapa on a free transfer who will be a stop gap until he can get the players he wants and thinks are worth spending money on, he and Viduka are good players but they're only here to pad out the squad and will be replaced sooner rather than later.

And before I get accused of favouring one board over the other I also said the same about Roeder in January, he wanted Curtis Davies, Bale and Crouch but their clubs wouldn't sell at the time so he stuck with what he had and was prepared to wait until the Summer, it was too late for him in the end but lets hope the same doesn't happen to Allardyce.

You must have indeed dropped in from nowhere, as usual. See where I said "for instance".

Your outright refusal to accept that the current board have proved nothing yet and not showed us they have the true ambition of the old board, is absolutely hilarious. But I pretty much expected it, and not just from you.

I'll ask the question again. Why do you think we have not replaced Solano, and who is responsible for making the decision not to do it and why. Its a fairly basic question.

Like I said, a random name dropped in from nowhere.

I think we haven't replaced Solano because the manager didn't think it was necessary, I'm only guessing but he probably thought of him as a rightback who was not needed because of him bringing in Beye or he thought Barton could possibly play right wing.  That's a guess as I can't speak for Allardyce and he himself hasn't answered the question.

What has been proven is that Ashley and Mort have spent more than the old board did for 2 years, they've done that at the same time as reducing the debt by £75 million which is almost 2 ground redevelopments.  They've also backed Allardyce by bringing in the players that he wanted and he hasn't complained that he has been refused funds at any time.

I'm very pleased you are happy that we bought players of the calibre of Torres, Anderson, and Nani. I'm not surprised, as you were also happy with us selling Beardsley to Liverpool and replacing him with Mirandinha for a quarter of the price, kidding yourself we were competing with them.

:lol:

You are one confused person, where have I said any of the above?

FWIW I think Solano has been replaced by Geremi. Can play Right Back, Defensive Midfield and Right Midfield, and can take a free kick. Or so his past record states anyway, he has not played up to form so far.

I think Dyer has been replaced by Smith. Midfield or Striker. Crap at either.  :idiot2: I didn't think it made sense at the time and I still don't but I think Sam was probably hoping Barton would drive the midfield, and he got injured.

To answer the topic question though, I think that the money was there, but it was difficult to attract the players, given the mess we found ourselves in. Also Sam needed to fill out the squad and stabilise it, which he has done to some extent. (Not great though yet!)

We need a creative midfielder, & maybes replace Shola and for the players to gell consistently as a team, and I think once that happens we will be alright. (If he finds the best 11 and sticks with it!)

Or us.

Be patient.

And he'll spend too IMO.

Did Allardyce spend what he did in the Summer because that's all he was given or because he refused to spend for the sake of it?

congratulations for asking yourself the same question that I've asked you many times without getting an answer

Like I said, a random name dropped in from nowhere.

I think we haven't replaced Solano because the manager didn't think it was necessary, I'm only guessing but he probably thought of him as a rightback who was not needed because of him bringing in Beye or he thought Barton could possibly play right wing.  That's a guess as I can't speak for Allardyce and he himself hasn't answered the question.

What has been proven is that Ashley and Mort have spent more than the old board did for 2 years, they've done that at the same time as reducing the debt by £75 million which is almost 2 ground redevelopments.  They've also backed Allardyce by bringing in the players that he wanted and he hasn't complained that he has been refused funds at any time.

so, who do YOU  think we should replace Nobby with ?

And are you going to defend the board if they don't show the ambition to do it ? You bet you will

As you said, you are guessing - but you aren't prepared to accept what is a possibility are you .

:lol:

You are one confused person, where have I said any of the above?

Well, weren;t you ?

You HAVE defended the sale of Beardsley, Gazza and Waddle. Why ?

so, who do YOU  think we should replace Nobby with ?

And are you going to defend the board if they don't show the ambition to do it ? You bet you will

As you said, you are guessing - but you aren't prepared to accept what is a possibility are you .

Who replaces Solano isn't my problem, I rarely ever say who I think we should buy because it's pointless.  I will not defend the board at all if they get something wrong, you might feel comfortable with defending the indefensible, I'm not.