Jaaskelainen

olliemort
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

if we sign anyone we should sign ben foster. 26, would challenge given for the number 1 spot and yet isn't so old that signing him is virtually pointless. already better than jussi in my opinion as well. of course, he's not free, but we shouldn't make our decisions on who to sign on who is available for nowt.

His injury record is too iffy. We'd need to give him 18 months to see if he can stay fit.

he's had a few injuries yes, but before that didn't he go something like 7 years without missing a game? i'm not going to rush to conclusions about givens fitness until its as obvious as the sky is blue that he'll never complete a season again. at the moment he's had one thigh injury and one reacurance of it.

I'm talking about Foster.

For Given though, its been more than two injuries to the thigh and groin areas, it has been 5 or 6 times this year, missing 28% of the games he has played.

How can he miss the games he has played? That's impossible.

Sorry games we have played, but you knew that already.

Do you ever bother having opinions of your own in real life? Or do you just prefer to make people look stupid to give yourself an ego trip?

if we sign anyone we should sign ben foster. 26, would challenge given for the number 1 spot and yet isn't so old that signing him is virtually pointless. already better than jussi in my opinion as well. of course, he's not free, but we shouldn't make our decisions on who to sign on who is available for nowt.

His injury record is too iffy. We'd need to give him 18 months to see if he can stay fit.

he's had a few injuries yes, but before that didn't he go something like 7 years without missing a game? i'm not going to rush to conclusions about givens fitness until its as obvious as the sky is blue that he'll never complete a season again. at the moment he's had one thigh injury and one reacurance of it.

For Given though, its been more than two injuries to the thigh and groin areas, it has been 5 or 6 times this year, missing 28% of the games he has played.

Do you ever bother having opinions of your own in real life? Or do you just prefer to make people look stupid to give yourself an ego trip?

When you're involved it's the second option.

And signing Jussi would be pointless, Man City should bag him.

I'm not really interested in what he's done for Ireland, he's been poor for us all season though and didn't deserve to get his place back from Harper, i'm not sure why he's playing for Ireland in a pointless match either when he's been on the sick for us. Jussi was the best keeper in the Premiership last year imo and I'd happily have him here.

he's playd 4 games :lol: only conceded 7 as well, not exactly terrible, and he could do nowt for the 3 scored by citeh for starters.

He's been poor this season no matter how many games he's played, whether it's putting in his own net against Everton, getting outjumped by Anichebe which nearly cost us a goal, the Cacapa back pass moment where he didn't bother coming to collect, even Andy Johnsons goal where he stayed on his line rather than coming to intercept the cross.

He's been average for 18 months and the great saves he used to make are few and far between, the amount of times our back is put under pressure because he doesn't come and collect crosses very often has always been a worry and it's something Allardyce will look to sort.

Disagree with both your posts. Given has had one bad game and that was Everton, no others and as for slating shearer that's pretty much laughable  :lol:   

Perhaps you should watch more football then because Shearer should have retired 2 years before he did.

aye and we've gone from stegnth to stregnth since shearer left haven't we. shearer should have retired the january after souness took over, because he was fuck all without bellamy next to him. don't make me remind you though that without shearer in those one and a half years we would have been playing ameobi and one of chopera or luque up front, and something tells me that would have been less effective than a crippled shearer.

So you're arguing that he should have retired 18 months before he did rather than 2 years?

To argue that him not staying on would have meant we would have had to play Ameobi is liking saying we should be lucky Bramble was here or otherwise we would have played Ramage, he should have been moved on and replaced which would have been better for the team.

no. we kept shearer on not for sentimental reasons but because we needed him. we tried replacing him, we bought the wrong players, for whatever reasons. his replacement should have been bought by sir bobby, but it wasn't, you say we only kept shearer for sentimental reasons, and i've shown you the grim scenario that would have occured otherwise.

Bobby wanted rid of Shearer but Shepherd wouldn't even consider it, why do you think that was? It was because of who he is, then you have the scenario of Bellamy playing out of position on the right under Souness just to accommodate Shearer.

We didn't try to replace him at all, Owen came in to replace Bellamy and Luque in to replace Robert, Shearer on the other hand remained undroppable for the majority of games here in his final 2 years, simply because of who he is and what he's done for us in the past rather than what he was doing on the pitch at the time.

When you're involved it's the second option.

And signing Jussi would be pointless, Man City should bag him.

YA i agree,better signing for man city imo

It now looks as if ARSENAL want him - anyone prepared to argue with Mr Wenger..!???

Lehmann, Almunia, Manninger, Poom, Wright, Shaaban.

Jealous of that lot like.

Lets not sign Jaaskelainen. He's not better than what we havem simple as.

I'd rather Allardyce signed GOOD defenders, a midfielder, and a striker. i.e. not the quality of some of his other signings.

I take it you're not into the whole "letting players settle into a new league" thing right?

Yeah, Geremi and Smith should be given time to settle, definately.

the "sell harper, buy jussi" option is a bit of a joke imo - jussi wont be leaving bolton to be a back up player here.

so it is a simple choice between jussi and shay imo - and i'd have shay out of those two.

as yorkie says - if we manage to keep krul he'll be ready to take over from shay along the way. maybe we will even have a 37 year old shay as back up, it could be a lot worse!

There have been a couple of threads on here lately about goalkeepers which I frankly find bemusing. We need to be concentrating on other areas wayyyyyyy before the GK position. We have Given, Harper, Krul and Forster for fucks sake! Why is everyone so concerned about this position when clearly we need a world class centre back and high quality attacking players??????????

Guest LucaAltieri

the "sell harper, buy jussi" option is a bit of a joke imo - jussi wont be leaving bolton to be a back up player here.

so it is a simple choice between jussi and shay imo - and i'd have shay out of those two.

as yorkie says - if we manage to keep krul he'll be ready to take over from shay along the way. maybe we will even have a 37 year old shay as back up, it could be a lot worse!

I know keepers seem to last forever nowadays but Shay's biggest asset is his agility. He makes some spectacular saves... but how much longer is he going to have that? Will he be able to adjust his game as he knocks on? I hope so, but I don't think its a certainty he'll be playing top level football for another 5 or 6 years.

Guest LucaAltieri

Im sorry but if we even contemplate wasting money or time on securing jussi then I will strongly advocate sacking allardyce. Would be the most utterly pointless signing and anyone who cannot see that is an idiot.

Agreed. We don't need to pay for an aging, overrated keeper.

We need to make sure Krul gets up to standard. Perhaps sign another young 'un or find a loan deal for Forster. Simply because we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket.

I'm not a Jaaskelainen fan, I was just making the point that Given probably wont go on forever and we need to be preparing for life after Given. Long-term planning. Signing Jaaskelainen wouldn't fall under the "long-term planning" heading.

Does anybody else feel that we are in quite a similar state to when Sir Bobby had been in charge for a year or two? Very midtable, a few players with quality etc. Then 2 or 3 signings in the right places could transform us into a strong force in the premiership?

I take it you've got a season ticket at Bolton and seen him play a million times, NM? Isn't that the usual shite you come out with when people talk about a player from another team?

No, i don't have one. And neither do you, nor anyone else on here i'm guessing. MY OPINION, which is all i have ever claimed to state - unlike some knobheads on here, and please include yourself in that if you wish, who seem to claim to know how good every player in the league/country/world is - is that this player is no better than the pretty good players we already have in that postion.

If my having that, or any other opinion, offends you, feel free to fuck off.

Surely if someone else is talking about another players qualities compared to a player of our own then they're just expressing their opinion too, just like you have with Jussi. Not to worry, feel free to continue acting like a tart.

Does anybody else feel that we are in quite a similar state to when Sir Bobby had been in charge for a year or two? Very midtable, a few players with quality etc. Then 2 or 3 signings in the right places could transform us into a strong force in the premiership?

Aye. Will Allardyce make the right signings though?