What Is The Biggest Derby In Britain?

Kev
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You know what I don't get.

Games like the Mighty Blues vs the Forces of Darkness or Liverpool vs Everton. These are what I call derbies. Where the teams are from the same place and the support is intermingled, sometimes even between families.

But Newcastle vs Sunderland. Is that the same thing? Two teams from two distinct places, close as they are? How many Newcastle fans have Sunderland fans for workmates, neighbors, or grandads? I doubt its many.

Newcastle vs Sunderland, Soton vs Pompey, Norwich vs Ipswich etc, are not derbies. They are rivalries. Discuss.

Well. They might be derbies as I'm not sure as to what the exact definition of the word is. But they are different? ???

(See also, Barcelona vs Real Madrid "El Derby" equals biggest derby in the world. No it f****** isnt. Its 300 and odd f****** miles away.)

The derby where I come from is Dundee Utd v Dundee but I wouldn't say I hate, nor even dislike Dundee fans.  My Dad supports them, some of my drinking mates support them as do some of my work colleagues and both sets of fans drink together before derby matches.  That's why I don't understand Old Firm fans hating eachother so much on match days that they have to be segregated outside the ground to prevent the stabbings and murders that have happened in the past - then they go into work on Monday morning and work with eachother.  It's all a little bit silly imo.

Dundee Utd fans share more of a mutual dislike with Aberdeen than we do with Dundee.  I can understand inter-city dislike among fans because there's more than just football dividing you.

Liverpool everton?!  there were liverpool fans openly in the everton end this year.  Liverpool manu is bigger.

You're right, but Liverpool Man U is a rivalry, not a derby. Different thing.

I would say it's sort of a derby.  It cant be much further than boro to newcastle.  It's the battle of the north west.

I get the impression that in the prem, the fiercest are us, sunderland and villa birmingham.  Obviously the old firm is huge, but has to have lost something, occurring 4 times a season.  I like that the mackems are a bit of a yoyo team, as even twice a season i think would reduce the magnitude. 

I prefer the idea of being close, but actually different cities.  You're not just 'fighting' over an hereditary team you support, but it's city versus city.  All of newcastle, versus all of sunderland, everybody united. 

Old Firm

Only been to one Old Firm Derby in the 80's and it was a great game finished 4 each.

The atmosphere was at a level that I have never experienced before and even though I was aware of the history and religious side, I don't mind admitting that it put the sh-ts up me.

Newcastle v Sun'lun??? As if thats the biggest!

We, as Newcastle fans, are amongst the least self-aware fans in the country, i have come to believe.

well, i voted for NUFC V safc  and i did so, at the risk of sounding (even more) unsophisticated & provincial, b/c it's simply the biggest to me.  what do i care about those other matches if newcastle don't do the double over the unwashed?! 

One of the most enjoyable derbies I have been to in recent years is Sheffield Wednesday v. Sheffield United.. even though they're both from the same city, there can still be as much venom as you'd get with the tyne-wear matches.

I also find it interesting that the Notts Forest/County derby is generally very dull and lifeless, whereas the Notts Forest v. Derby County matches have a real edge to them.

I really can't imagine why anyone here would care, so sorry in advance. But Liverpool won the mini derby 3-0 against the BS infront of 7,000 tonight.  :celb:

Sorry again, I'm just excited, we usually get carted in these games for some unfarthomable reason. Good luck against Arsenal tomorrow.  :thup:

Liverpool everton?!  there were liverpool fans openly in the everton end this year.  Liverpool manu is bigger.

I would say it's sort of a derby.  It cant be much further than boro to newcastle.  It's the battle of the north west.

I get the impression that in the prem, the fiercest are us, sunderland and villa birmingham.  Obviously the old firm is huge, but has to have lost something, occurring 4 times a season.  I like that the mackems are a bit of a yoyo team, as even twice a season i think would reduce the magnitude. 

I prefer the idea of being close, but actually different cities.  You're not just 'fighting' over an hereditary team you support, but it's city versus city.  All of newcastle, versus all of sunderland, everybody united. 

No, you don't get it. Its not a derby. Same as us and Sun'lun isn't (and even if it was, it wouldn't be the biggest).

No, you don't get it. Its not a derby. Same as us and Sun'lun isn't (and even if it was, it wouldn't be the biggest).

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (and most people's definitions) it is:

3. (derby; also local derby) a sports match between two rival teams from the same area.

Man U/Man City, Liverpool/Everton and Arsenal/Spurs are shit.

Arsenal are more bothered about Chelsea and Man U/Liverpool are more bothered about eachother.

Old Firm/ Tyne Wear rivalry is different to North London/Merseyside/Manchester, as (real)Northern England/Scotland is alot more tribal

Guest Knightrider

I can't speak of others but NUFC vs SAFC isn't just about two rival football clubs, it's about two rival tribes. It isn't NUFC vs SAFC, it's Geordies vs Mackems, Tyneside vs Wearside. It goes far deeper and is more tribalistic and historical than a mere game of football. The closest I've experienced is the Old Firm one, but only because of the religious crap. Take that away and it's another Liverpool vs Everton match. Therefore for me, NUFC vs SAFC or rather Geordies vs Mackem is the biggest "derby" or at least a proper one in today's football climate if such a thing does exist. I don't expect non Geordies or mackems to get this though.

This rivalry btw dates back long before football, long before.

Man U/Man City, Liverpool/Everton and Arsenal/Spurs are s***.

Arsenal are more bothered about Chelsea and Man U/Liverpool are more bothered about eachother.

Old Firm/ Tyne Wear rivalry is different to North London/Merseyside/Manchester, as (real)Northern England/Scotland is alot more tribal

Try telling that to my red mates

Guest Scouseman

I, and most Reds I know, will always regard Everton as our biggest rivals.  It's the fixture we look for first.  It's the one we hate to lose the most and on the actual day friendliness is the last thing you come across.  It's s*** to lose to United but at least if you keep the tele away from sport, and don't buy a paper, you can just about get through to the next match.  Not so when the other team is part of your own city.  Even going to get a morning paper is hell, but I wouldn't have it any other way, because for the other 363 days a year the banter is great.  When you win it, going in to work is a joy and the jokes are going round thick and fast. 

At the end of the day we're all Scousers and both clubs have brought a lot of pride to the city through football,  which is probably a c'mon to the 'hate Scousers' brigade but we do have a great deal to be proud of, and though Kirkby is in Merseyside it's outside of the city limits and I'll be sorry to see them move so far away.

I, and most Reds I know, will always regard Everton as our biggest rivals.  It's the fixture we look for first.  It's the one we hate to lose the most and on the actual day friendliness is the last thing you come across.  It's s*** to lose to United but at least if you keep the tele away from sport, and don't buy a paper, you can just about get through to the next match.  Not so when the other team is part of your own city.  Even going to get a morning paper is hell, but I wouldn't have it any other way, because for the other 363 days a year the banter is great.  When you win it, going in to work is a joy and the jokes are going round thick and fast. 

At the end of the day we're all Scousers and both clubs have brought a lot of pride to the city through football,  which is probably a c'mon to the 'hate Scousers' brigade but we do have a great deal to be proud of, and though Kirkby is in Merseyside it's outside of the city limits and I'll be sorry to see them move so far away.

Well hopefully the Kirkby move won't happen. It seems to be on shaky ground at the moment, Kenwright was slaughtered at the AGM and close to tears. Loads of people reckon it won't get planning permission regardless because of transport and green space issues. :)