Laurent Robert Interview - L'Equipe.

Optimistic Nut

Guest Ridzuan

Btw is Martins the new Robert? I think he's a similar frustrating player.

I bet Martins cant score from free kicks as great as Robert could.

Ironically, Robert produced his best spell of consistent form in his Toon career (for me) under Souness during that run of winning games before the Lisbon fall-out, where he once again let his big gob go, which was the end for him and rightly so in my opinion. I will remember him with fondness though, but tinted as a player who could have been one of the best left wide men in the world given his talent, he was that good on his day.

His best prolonged run of form was after he got sent-off at Everton early in the 2003-4 season up until about February of that season. I remember he was on fire at the time and was overlooked for the France squad with Bruno Cheyrou selected ahead of him after a run of about 3-4 decent games for Liverpool that December and that seemed to knock the stuffing out of him.

Guest Knightrider

Ironically, Robert produced his best spell of consistent form in his Toon career (for me) under Souness during that run of winning games before the Lisbon fall-out, where he once again let his big gob go, which was the end for him and rightly so in my opinion. I will remember him with fondness though, but tinted as a player who could have been one of the best left wide men in the world given his talent, he was that good on his day.

His best prolonged run of form was after he got sent-off at Everton early in the 2003-4 season up until about February of that season. I remember he was on fire at the time and was overlooked for the France squad with Bruno Cheyrou selected ahead of him after a run of about 3-4 decent games for Liverpool that December and that seemed to knock the stuffing out of him.

I still reckon between that Heerenveen game and upto Lisbon away, he produced his best all-round form in terms of work rate as well as productivity. I thought Souness had cracked the enigma then, but he let his mouth go again on the even of Lisbon and never recovered, nor did we.

Was petty by both parties there I thought. Robert was bang in form, and Souness put himself first and threw in an 18-year old kid in (N'Zogbia), and the lad froze. Also, if Souness was really trying to make a point, then he shouldn't have recalled him for the FA Cup Semi-Final a few days later.

I reckon Martins is more frustrating than Robert, you know more about what you're going to get with Robert, with Martins it's difficult to tell.

Guest Knightrider

Was petty by both parties there I thought. Robert was bang in form, and Souness put himself first and threw in an 18-year old kid in (N'Zogbia), and the lad froze. Also, if Souness was really trying to make a point, then he shouldn't have recalled him for the FA Cup Semi-Final a few days later.

Agreed, but Souness set him a challenge, raised the bar, which Robert responded to magnificently admittedly, then he let his mouth go again. How many times do you let that happen before you say enough is enough? Especially when you have a talented kid in the wings waiting while your Robert is approaching his final years as a player? I think Robert killed his own career here because leading up to his mouth going off, he was our star man and had Souness well and truly on his side.

Guest Knightrider

I reckon Martins is more frustrating than Robert, you know more about what you're going to get with Robert, with Martins it's difficult to tell.

I agree. Martins I can't work out. One minute he pulls a ball out of the air with deftest of touches showing amazing technique, then the next a simple rolled pass will bobble yards away from him after a heavy first touch.

Guest Knightrider

Speaking of Robert, had he came to Newcastle at 18 like N'Zogbia or earlier on in his career than he did, I think those frustrations with him wouldn't have developed or would have been knocked out of him for good. By the time we got him those bad habits were default settings so he was never going to change, regardless of approach. Sir Bobby understood that and got the best out of him, Souness tried to change him and it worked for a while, but Robert fell back on his ways which was always going to happen.

“Are we better this year than last year? No, I don’t think so,” he said. “Are we the same? No. We are probably worse. I don’t think we are playing as well this season as last and we have not played well in the last three games. We were awful against Aston Villa and we lost at Tottenham while playing poor football.

“We have had to rely on the cups. This is the worst we have done in the league since I came here. It is no good. It is depressing. We have always been in the top four or five, but not now. We have had a difficult season because we changed our manager after the season had begun, but we have to snap out of it quickly. Like last year, we are getting injuries and suspensions at the wrong time.”

Was that really worth the reaction he got from Souness?

Guest Knightrider

“Are we better this year than last year? No, I don’t think so,” he said. “Are we the same? No. We are probably worse. I don’t think we are playing as well this season as last and we have not played well in the last three games. We were awful against Aston Villa and we lost at Tottenham while playing poor football.

“We have had to rely on the cups. This is the worst we have done in the league since I came here. It is no good. It is depressing. We have always been in the top four or five, but not now. We have had a difficult season because we changed our manager after the season had begun, but we have to snap out of it quickly. Like last year, we are getting injuries and suspensions at the wrong time.”

Depends. I remember at the time the players were told not to speak to the media in such terms, especially Robert, due to previous trouble. He broke that code of conduct and on the eve of a massive game. Lets not forget, it wasn't just Souness who was unhappy with his opinions, a few of the senior pros were too who were sick of all the media fluff surrounding every campaign due to "misinterpretation". Robert had a previous remember. Didn't the talk about Sir Bobby's training being old fashioned come from a Robert interview?

No.

Surely Robert's frustrating periods were worth it? I mean those stats speak for themselves.

32 goals, 60 assists. For a player that didn't try half of the time, it's not that bad at all. Think of all the other times he's set things up from corners and freekicks that nearly made goals, but ended up just missing.

I'd take him for the small moments of magic alone. Because when he was top of his game, he was a fantastic winger.

Agreed, but Souness set him a challenge, raised the bar, which Robert responded to magnificently admittedly, then he let his mouth go again. How many times do you let that happen before you say enough is enough? Especially when you have a talented kid in the wings waiting while your Robert is approaching his final years as a player? I think Robert killed his own career here because leading up to his mouth going off, he was our star man and had Souness well and truly on his side.

Only a moron would make a stand just before two very important games.

Depends. I remember at the time the players were told not to speak to the media in such terms, especially Robert, due to previous trouble. He broke that code of conduct and on the eve of a massive game. Lets not forget, it wasn't just Souness who was unhappy with his opinions, a few of the senior pros were too who were sick of all the media fluff surrounding every campaign due to "misinterpretation". Robert had a previous remember. Didn't the talk about Sir Bobby's training being old fashioned come from a Robert interview?

The players and manager were in Portugal when the story appeared from within Thompson House, I doubt the players knew much about it.

Souness put Souness before Newcastle United.

Robert was absolutely diabolical in the Semi versus Man Utd, something which does seem to get overlooked by everyone.

It might not have been the case if he'd been allowed to play in Lisbon.

Was Robert getting dropped a retaliation though, or was it part of the game plan anyway?

After all, we had the lead, and perhaps Souness just wanted the team to defend and hit Lisbon on the break with Dyer's pace.

Was Robert getting dropped a retaliation though, or was it part of the game plan anyway?

After all, we had the lead, and perhaps Souness just wanted the team to defend and hit Lisbon on the break with Dyer's pace.

He was dropped because of this.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_method=full%26objectid=15400993%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Guest Knightrider

Souness put Souness before Newcastle United.

Agreed. I still think Robert blew things for himself though. Souness gave him another chance and he blew it. Basically Robert dug his own grave with those comments. He was very foolish, he knew how Souness would react and if Souness did have a grudge or was just waiting for an excuse to drop him/peddle him, he gave him it. I also think there was an agenda with Robert too, I think he was looking for a way out of Newcastle at that point in time.