The true value of Sam Allardyce

Zero

sacking him right now would be silly to say the least

but in fairness, <b>the worst three games</b> i've experienced at St James's park in the last 14 years have all taken place this season, something is seriously wrong

that's a BIG call - given we've had Souness, Gullit, Roeder in charge and I'm pretty sure I've seen countless games that were far far worse during those periods. 

Had Souness or Roeder been in charge today, we'd have conceded that early goal, slowly lost any kind of grip we had on the game, and in the end, lost any chance of a comeback going down to another late goal to make it 0-2.  At least with Sam there's always fight in the team, and some semblance of an idea of how to get back into a game.

Not so sure about that. <b>Roeder had even more plan with the play and formation than Sam seems to have.</b> But didn't have the same squad to pick from... -And of course the injuries (that many people - who had made up their mind that Roeder's Sh** - get mad about if mentioned.... )

I'm happy about Roeder taking Norwich from a hopeless situation, and up the table.

Merry Christmas Mr. Roeder!

Roeder had the least plan and formation from all those managers. I can actually see what Big Sam is trying to do.  Roeder had no idea except trying to be on everybody's good books (except luque) and pretend to act like the model manager.

Besides the grammar, I agree with what most of Zero's post.  The important thing is - here is a manager with a decent track record and someone who is trying to build the club up. Give him a bit of time.

For the record, I was not a Sam supporter. He wasn't my first choice.  But he's clear as to what he wants to do and he's definitely different from Roeder, Souness or Gullit.  I just had bad feelings about them from the start.  Big Sam seems alright. He gets my full support...at least till the end of the season anyway.

Im fully behind Sam, i really believe that in 2 years he will have a good side built here, i even believe next season we will be alot stronger, we havent been the best now because Sam has a system but doesnt have all the players he needs  yet to suit that system, in another window or two we will begin to see his side take shape.

At the end of the day if the likes of Souness and Roeder get a season and a half, someone like Big Sam deserves at least the same.

By the way, to those pointing at Sven as a guideline for instant success: apart from him being an international class manager, he was out of a job for a year. Do you really think he just stumbled across Elano et al? Did he fuck. The press saying he bought them from videos was laughable, I reckon he had them marked for months and months.

I think he scoured the market, scouted the leagues during his time off, and knew exactly who he was going for should he get back into club management.

By the way, to those pointing at Sven as a guideline for instant success: apart from him being an international class manager, he was out of a job for a year. Do you really think he just stumbled across Elano et al? Did he fuck. The press saying he bought them from videos was laughable, I reckon he had them marked for months and months.

I think he scoured the market, scouted the leagues during his time off, and knew exactly who he was going for should he get back into club management.

He has a very good network around Europe and a good relationship with one two important player reps. There was particularly one that helped him early in the Man City days, there is an article somewhere. I feel he took his time out the game to re-energise himself and I'd bet he spent a lot of time on research and watching matches.

This is the fella:

''In Thaksin Shinawatra's revolution, which has launched Manchester City to the euphoric, unforeseen position at the top of the Premier League, the agent Jerome Anderson has been a central figure. During the breathless three weeks after Thaksin's £21.6m takeover and the appointment of Sven-Goran Eriksson as manager, Anderson was key to sealing the deals for City to sign eight players, all foreign, between the July 13, £8.8m signing of Roland Bianchi from Reggina, and August 3, when Valeri Bojinov joined City from Fiorentina.

In an echo of the role played by Pini Zahavi when Chelsea began signing players with Roman Abramovich's oil millions in 2003, Anderson is said to have been working almost full-time on City's behalf to help rapidly secure the players to form Eriksson's new side.

Anderson's involvement with Thaksin began before the City takeover; he was brought in to advise when the former Thai Prime Minister, in exile in London, was first considering buying a football club. In a series of connections which trace the global links of football, business and politics, Anderson's introduction came from Thaksin's most important football contact in London, Philippe Huber, a Swiss media entrepreneur."

By the way, to those pointing at Sven as a guideline for instant success: apart from him being an international class manager, he was out of a job for a year. Do you really think he just stumbled across Elano et al? Did he f***. The press saying he bought them from videos was laughable, I reckon he had them marked for months and months.

I don't really get what your point is here. Are you trying to say Sven had some kind of head start over Allardyce? Most of the players we've bought or looked at were targets or already bought by Allardyce when he was at Bolton. All it means is that it seems Sven is also a better judge of players than Allardyce as well as a better tactician and motivator.

I don't really get what your point is here. Are you trying to say Sven had some kind of head start over Allardyce? Most of the players we've bought or looked at were targets or already bought by Allardyce when he was at Bolton. All it means is that it seems Sven is also a better judge of players than Allardyce as well as a better tactician and motivator.

Do people realize that the source of Man City's transfer funds are problematic that it may be cut off immediately upon wish by Thaksin, who is going back to Thailand? Moreover, the track record of Sven is terrible, every club he had managed was in disastrous status when he left. I don't undersand why people are singing praise for Man City despite there's so many negatives within.

When Thaksin does return to Thailand, the funds that he can give to Sven will increase, not decrease. Before becoming PM, iirc, he owned one of the major phone providers, a major internet service provider, a broadcasting company (similar to Sky in England). Now, if he has a chance to start running his business freely again, he'll become even richer. And of course, the people here are fanatical about Premiership football, so surely he'll be using the fact that he owns City to his advantage. He's always in the news now because of City. You can't watch a City match without hearing the Thai commentators mentioning his name at least 10 times so there's no way he'll want to give away his spot in the limelight. The Thai trio that City have signed is the first step to regaining popularity with the Thai people as well so there are quite a few extracurricular advantages of owning City for Thaksin.

By the way, to those pointing at Sven as a guideline for instant success: apart from him being an international class manager, he was out of a job for a year. Do you really think he just stumbled across Elano et al? Did he f***. The press saying he bought them from videos was laughable, I reckon he had them marked for months and months.

Of course he had a head-start over the likes of Allardyce. He had a full year out of the game to watch games and scout players he thought would do well when he inevitably got another club job. Allardyce had a club to run. I'm not saying that Sven isn't a better judge of player, just that it's no real surprise that nearly all of his supposedly 'unknown' transfers are doing the business, and it's pretty harsh to point at Allardyce and say he's shit purely on the basis of what Sven is doing.