Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

Cacapa should have cleared it for the second goal, instead he played a daft pass to Enrique who almost had to play it back to Given imo.

Just add this one to his 07/08 portfolio.

I've established that you are a miserable man and/or your sole purpose on this forum is to bring everyone down to the level you are on with your negativity. People must get really bored of you.

The fact people complain about Given astonishes me. He was our best or second best player against Man Utd. He has been with us for what 10 years? He's rejected advances from other clubs to remain loyal to us. We always expect players to be proud of the shirt they are playing in and to pay us back with what we put into our club. Given does this.

Enrique and Taylor were, in my view, without doubt the best two players for us on Saturday. Given had a mare.

I sometimes think that we don't deserve the loyalty Given has shown us.

I've established that you are a miserable man and/or your sole purpose on this forum is to bring everyone down to the level you are on with your negativity. People must get really bored of you.

The fact people complain about Given astonishes me. He was our best or second best player against Man Utd. He has been with us for what 10 years? He's rejected advances from other clubs to remain loyal to us. We always expect players to be proud of the shirt they are playing in and to pay us back with what we put into our club. Given does this.

Enrique and Taylor were, in my view, without doubt the best two players for us on Saturday. Given had a mare.

Don't worry about him too much. The few million a year he's been paid over the time should help soften the blow of the little bit of (justifiable) criticism he is now receiving.

Cacapa should have cleared it for the second goal, instead he played a daft pass to Enrique who almost had to play it back to Given imo.

....... who then totally f***ed it up, resulting in the second goal and effectively game over.

I don't know how anyone can not see how badly he had positioned himself for the free kick which led to the first goal.

Walls often jump - it's a bit like deciding whether to dive left or right at a penalty - it was his awful positioning which handed it to them.

Precisely. And I think Enrique was letting him know that after.

loyalty?

which other club would be stupid enough to pay him the wages we have?

Aye. Getto fucking riddo. Or similar.

....... who then totally f***ed it up, resulting in the second goal and effectively game over.

I don't know how anyone can not see how badly he had positioned himself for the free kick which led to the first goal.

Walls often jump - it's a bit like deciding whether to dive left or right at a penalty - it was his awful positioning which handed it to them.

I know Given fucked up I was saying it was more Cacapa's fault than Enrique's.

Dude, i'm saying he had a bad game... Just because he's been loyal makes him completely immune to any criticism whatsoever?! You'll see earlier in the thread i'm not advocating selling him, i just don't think he's had the best of seasons - by his own high standards especially.

I would also question the whole 'amazingly loyal servant' label served up, after all as soon as he was out the team he spat the dummy and handed in a transfer request, not exactly loyalty personified.

But again, my position is thus - harper had the jersey due to injury to given earlier in the season, harper did absolutely nothing to deserve to have it taken away, in fact he was in nets for some of our best performances this season. As given came back, our form has gradually declined (starting with Man City away), i'm certainly not saying it's all (or even mainly) his fault, i just think if you look back over the season there are a few instances where he has to be held culpable for goals conceded. All the rest of the defence take an absolute hiding on here (beye fairly excluded thus far) so i think it's only fair a modicum of blame falls with Shay if his performances aren't up to it. I'm not questioning his place at the club, just his place in the team for parts of this season (the same as I would with Owen).

I know Given f***** up I was saying it was more Cacapa's fault than Enrique's.

I know that's what you meant and I agree it was certainly a bad decision by Cacapa which led to the comedy that followed.

Like you I don't think Enrique had any other option than the one he took.

Who's a better keeper in the Premiership?

Cech.

Not Van Der Sar, not Almunia, not Reina.

Given's gets so little protection from our midfield and back 4, his confidence must be well and truly shattered. In a good team, with decent morale he'd hold his own. Still.

I know Given f***** up I was saying it was more Cacapa's fault than Enrique's.

I know that's what you meant and I agree it was certainly a bad decision by Cacapa which led to the comedy that followed.

Like you I don't think Enrique had any other option than the one he took.

Glad we've cleared that up ;)

Funny how Man United fans all saw it differently. But hey, the problem with this club is because our keeper is s***.

Of course. Everyone apart from most of the posters on this thread think he was our MOTM on Saturday and that he is one of the very best prem keepers but hey, what do they know. We must have the very best fans in the world for knocking confidence out of players and eventually driving them out of the club into another team where they are supported and hence perform better (Parker and Jenas the latest examples).

Funny how Man United fans all saw it differently. But hey, the problem with this club is because our keeper is s***.

Of course. Everyone apart from most of the posters on this thread think he was our MOTM on Saturday and that he is one of the very best prem keepers but hey, what do they know. We must have the very best fans in the world for knocking confidence out of players and eventually driving them out of the club into another team where they are supported and hence perform better (Parker and Jenas the latest examples).

Given pulled off an awesome save from Ronaldo in the first half. Tell me about the other wonderful things he did on Saturday.

Once again i'll repeat, i really rate given as a keeper, i just don't understand how people can be so blinkered.

How pedantic.

I'd be curious to hear about the others. Who would you rather have? Harper?!

nowt to do with it, we need a new keeper, Given is not good enough. If you stuck Nesta, Ferdinand, Zambrotta and Ramos in the defence then perhaps he'd be able to get away with awful positioning and the organisational skills of Mr Bean, but that isn't gonna happen, a change, asap

yet, Damien Duff is a revelation..

f*** off, you clueless git

best you can do?

good litmus test for identifying which nufc fans actually watch the games, ask them their opinion of Shay Given

no, that's the litmus test for delusional fans with short memories, Ronaldo.

and that was the best i could do, because it clearly shows your lack of common sense and the fucked up criteria, that you judge players on..

i can see that Given makes mistakes, he's performed below his usual form this season, i'm not denying that.. it's just that i don't feel like jumping on his back, because he's the only player left in our squad, who has proved that is world class and proved his loyalty to the club..

Given pulled off an awesome save from Ronaldo in the first half. Tell me about the other wonderful things he did on Saturday.

Once again i'll repeat, i really rate given as a keeper, i just don't understand how people can be so blinkered.

Strangely, I'm not a big fan of him (he's certainly not the keeper he was 2 or 3 years ago). However, he cannot be blamed for Saturday's defeat, or any of the goals. The lack of protection the midfield gave the defence meant that Given was being pounded.

People have an agenda against people like Given and Taylor, and I can't work out why. No other fans of other teams have that mentality :(

Strangely, I'm not a big fan of him (he's certainly not the keeper he was 2 or 3 years ago). However, he cannot be blamed for Saturday's defeat, or any of the goals. The lack of protection the midfield gave the defence meant that Given was being pounded.

People have an agenda against people like Given and Taylor, and I can't work out why. No other fans of other teams have that mentality :(

Agree. The lambasting of Given is beyond belief. He should be appluaded for nearly saving the first goal, not castigated. God knows how this thread would have developed if he had made a mistake as bad as Cech's just before Christmas. That said, everyone is very entitled to their own opinion, just can't get my head around this thread!

Either of them could have cleared it.

It was far easier for Cacapa to do it though, Enrique was given a daft ball he had no right to expect and was understandably on his heels. If we're apportioning blame for the goal I'd say it's Cacapa, then Given, then Enrique in order of responsibility. Given could have cleared it too if you want to be that pedantic :razz:

Gosh your spanglish has come on.

Si.

Si.

I've been converted to the Taylor/Faye cause for CD.

I thought Taylor did ok like. Especially first half where he was excellent. Someone like Faye alongside him should allow us to see if he has what it takes because it takes some of the pressure off him of him having to be the one who attacks the aerial balls all the time since Faye will do more than his fair share of that. Faye looks steady and reads the game well too so Taylor could learn from him too. Still not convinced about the lad but, as I say, it'll probably be the first time he's played much with a 'proper' centre-half. Beye-Faye-Taylor-Enrique has the makings of a canny back 4 imo.