One of the reasons why we've been turned down many a time in the past is because

Guest Knightrider

no, managers have turned us down in the past because of shepherd FACT

gullit and dalgleish both resigned after knowing they werent up to the job

souness and roeder we're both wrong appointments

ffs when bobby got sacked we had a list of condidates dropping out after when shepherd bought and sold players behind the managers back

This is correct - Shepherd's interference in transfer policy, PLUS(and this is probably the major issue) his handling of SBR and the manner of his sacking, were the major reasons why the club became a poisoned chalice for prosective managers.

It WAS always that before SJH took over in 1992 - the likes of Joe Royle and Howard Kendall wouldn't touch us with a barge-pole, but the club could have got almost anyone after KK resigned in 1997, and would still have been able to if SBR had replaced him then and stayed for, say, 5 years.

All the rest is in place - support, stadium, money(prior to Souness & Shepherd's last forays) - which other club outside of Man U Arsenal & Liverpool had such a lot going for it in 1997..??

I disagree about Dalglish, though - he was SACKED, didn't resign ; FS fired him after 2 games in 98-99, neither of which we lost - this was because he and Fletcher had fallen out.

Don't forget some of the players he signed - Nobby, Hamman, Given - all still playing 10 years later...

It would be stupid to sack Sam now!. In my opinion I really think the players bought in by Sam were not his first choice maybe the Defenders were his first choice but the rest maybe not, he knew we needed to build the squad up and needed them quickly really I think if he had got the players he wanted, things could be different by now, I do hope he can now get the players he really wants people who can play his 4-3-3 system which has worked for him at Bolton and many other Managers in Europe so I can't see why it cannot work for us.

It would be stupid to sack Sam now!. In my opinion I really think the players bought in by Sam were not his first choice maybe the Defenders were his first choice but the rest maybe not, he knew we needed to build the squad up and needed them quickly really I think if he had got the players he wanted, things could be different by now, I do hope he can now get the players he really wants people who can play his 4-3-3 system which has worked for him at Bolton and many other Managers in Europe so I can't see why it cannot work for us.

Out of interest, who did he and who did he not want?

Out of interest, who did he and who did he not want?

He was quoted as saying his first choice defenders were Distin, Ben Haim and Silvestre.

Newcastle is a dream job - Sven

SVEN-Goran Eriksson has rubbished Sir Alex Ferguson's claim that no one in their right mind would manage Newcastle United.

Manchester United boss Ferguson had spoken out as the pressure on his close friend Sam Allardyce intensified.

But Manchester City manager Eriksson – whose side take on Newcastle at St James's Park tonight – says it is a "dream job".

He said: "People might say 'would anyone choose to manage Newcastle?', but then you might say 'would anyone choose to manage England.

"They're both dream jobs. You're talking about a big club, a fantastic stadium and support – nobody would ever say no to that job.

"Sam Allardyce has thick skin and he can stand up to what's happening there and resolve it. Everyone knows he's a great manager."