Mort Expects Arrivals

Dave

So do the people urging the club to give Allardyce money have faith in him to turn the club around?

Is that a trick question?

Not at all.

As I've said it was similar when Souness was in charge, people who had no faith in him to be any good were demanding the club throw money at him.

So do the people urging the club to give Allardyce money have faith in him to turn the club around?

Not a huge amount but am going off the principle that if Ashley can afford to pay off debt (that is perfectly acceptable for Arse/Man U/Liverpool/Chelsea to carry in far bigger proportions) then he can afford £20m to give Allardyce a couple of decent attacking players.

Do you think Sven would be doing better with our current lot? Or Moyes? I think the squad is a bit shit and most teams above us have one or two key players that make them tick that we dont.

Long term its hard to say about Allardyce but i think people have poor judgement about our players if they think we have a Muntari, an Elano or an Arteta. We dont and these players are the ones sticking the points on the board for those teams.

Anyone who thinks our players are good enough to challenge the top 6 needs their head looked at. These are same lads who think Milner is decent btw.

Not a huge amount but am going off the principle that if Ashley can afford to pay off debt (that is perfectly acceptable for Arse/Man U/Liverpool/Chelsea to carry in far bigger proportions) then he can afford £20m to give Allardyce a couple of decent attacking players.

Do you think Sven would be doing better with our current lot? Or Moyes? I think the squad is a bit s*** and most teams above us have one or two key players that make them tick that we dont.

Long term its hard to say about Allardyce but i think people have poor judgement about our players if they think we have a Muntari, an Elano or an Arteta. We dont and these players are the ones sticking the points on the board for those teams.

Anyone who thinks our players are good enough to challenge the top 6 needs their head looked at. These are same lads who think Milner is decent btw.

Spot on!

We could easily see the team as a whole gel together with a couple of cracking signings!

I don't think our defence is half as bad as the media make out!  It's the midfield giving the ball away with sloppy passes then falling on there arses trying to gain back possession, and this just heaps more pressure on the back line!

fruitbat is on the ropes.

Not quite, alot of what UV said isnt what ive intimated at all. For example:

Allardyce shouldn't have been given any transfer funds in the Summer to attempt to improve on the squad which finished 7th under Souness and Roeder

I mean, where have i said that, in fact where have i said anything about it being a bad idea trying to improve our squad, again, i was saying that it would be in this clubs best interest to lower there expectations, just a little. We should aim to get a bit of stability in the club before we look to play our hand ambition wise. Not quite the same as:

As a club we should aim to hang around in the mid to lower table positions for a number of seasons

Not quite the same thing.

Buying any more players in January in an attempt to improve the team would take us up to critical levels of expectation which would be even worse for the club

Again, not quite what im trying to say, we should sign players, no doubt, but i dont think the ambitions of the board need to be implemented in this transfer period.

In my opinin, the board wouldnt be showing there ambition for the club if they looked to improve weaknesses.

Do you think Sven would be doing better with our current lot? Or Moyes? I think the squad is a bit shit and most teams above us have one or two key players that make them tick that we dont.

So you think an under performing manager who's shown no sign of improvement since he's been here and the money he has spent has mostly been wasted should be given £20 million on the basis that the new owner is rich?

For me Allardyce isn't good enough and we've seen over the first few months that he isn't up to the job, giving him large amounts of money under these circumstances would be crazy (unless of course you have faith in him to turn it around) and we would be better off saving it for the next manager, whoever he'll be.

So you think an under performing manager who's shown no sign of improvement since he's been here and the money he has spent has mostly been wasted should be given £20 million on the basis that the new owner is rich?

For me Allardyce isn't good enough and we've seen over the first few months that he isn't up to the job, giving him large amounts of money under these circumstances would be crazy (unless of course you have faith in him to turn it around) and we would be better off saving it for the next manager, whoever he'll be.

Why do we need to save money? I thought we were rich? Why not take a gamble, you know you should only gamble if you can afford it and i reckon Ashley can? We're 11th with a shit team.

Does that mean you think our squad is better than Pompey's? Or Everton's? Who are these lush players in our sqaud that means Allardyce is under-performing?

We're stuck with Allardyce mate, nowt we can do about it now, if we get rid we will put the club back years. Not sure he is the one to take us north of 6th place but i think given time and money he will get us there or thereabouts.

Spot on Chezvinder.

Why do we need to save money? I thought we were rich? Why not take a gamble, you know you should only gamble if you can afford it and i reckon Ashley can? We're 11th with a shit team.

Does that mean you think our squad is better than Pompey's? Or Everton's? Who are these lush players in our sqaud that means Allardyce is under-performing?

We're stuck with Allardyce mate, nowt we can do about it now, if we get rid we will put the club back years. Not sure he is the one to take us north of 6th place but i think given time and money he will get us there or thereabouts.

I'd rather the club didn't become reliant on Ashley and his millions and I don't agree that we should waste money because he's rich, the fact is Allardyce has done nothing to suggest he's good enough to turn us around and throwing money at the problem isn't the way to sort it, we tried that with Souness and failed miserably.

As for our squad, I don't think it's as bad as you're making out but we do lack any sort of creative spark and pace in midfield, these problems were obvious to most in the Summer yet Allardyce was happy to fill the team with grafters instead, there is no saying even if he was given money that these are areas he would look to strengthen.

Blaming the quality of our players is the easy option and I've no doubt at all that we would have more points on the board if he had set his players to win against the likes of Derby, Reading, Sunderland, Wigan etc rather than trying to keep it tight and play for the draw.

People need to accept that we still have a thin rickety squad albeit with a more shored up defence. Defence always takes longer to show it's working than an attack in football lore.

The players won't be wasted if SA gets the push, quality players remain quality regardless of manager.

People need to accept that we still have a thin rickety squad albeit with a more shored up defence. Defence always takes longer to show it's working than an attack in football lore.

The players won't be wasted if SA gets the push, quality players remain quality regardless of manager.

Do you trust him to sign quality players though?

In all honesty I'm not sure anymore. Beye and Faye are one thing but when looking for thoroughbreds a different eye is needed. And another thing we have too many lumpen defenders as coaches at the club.

I'd rather the club didn't become reliant on Ashley and his millions and I don't agree that we should waste money because he's rich, the fact is Allardyce has done nothing to suggest he's good enough to turn us around and throwing money at the problem isn't the way to sort it, we tried that with Souness and failed miserably.

As for our squad, I don't think it's as bad as you're making out but we do lack any sort of creative spark and pace in midfield, these problems were obvious to most in the Summer yet Allardyce was happy to fill the team with grafters instead, there is no saying even if he was given money that these are areas he would look to strengthen.

Blaming the quality of our players is the easy option and I've no doubt at all that we would have more points on the board if he had set his players to win against the likes of Derby, Reading, Sunderland, Wigan etc rather than trying to keep it tight and play for the draw.

The bit in bold is a very good point.

However, we did get a difficult point at Sunderland and we didnt manage to pick up points against Reading or Wigan away last season either.

I think the quality of the players is the key issue. You said yourself that given the enormity of the task facing Allardyce last summer that bolstering the squad was about all he could achieve given the time he had.

I also thought the performances have shown some signs of improvement recently and that overall we look better than we did under Souness.

He also set the team out to win against Derby at home and still the players werent good enough (taking into account their honeymoon period obviously ;) )

Well you've got a point about Ashley being loaded and us needing that kind of player.  But at the same time Allardyce could have gone for Elano or Muntari or someone else of a similar mold, but instead he spent a similar sum on Alan Smith... :(

Is that a trick question?

Not at all.

As I've said it was similar when Souness was in charge, people who had no faith in him to be any good were demanding the club throw money at him.

For me it depends upon what the Chairman and owner really think about Allardyce. If they are going to give him another year regardless of this year's performance, then they should offer him transfer money now on the understanding that anything spent will be taken off next year's budget, and should not interfere with his choice of player. If they are thinking about getting rid, then they should only allow him to buy anyone if he can convince them that the player will offer something different to the team, will have almost an immediate impact, and also could be sold on in the near future for the same or more than what we pay.

In all honesty I'm not sure anymore. Beye and Faye are one thing but when looking for thoroughbreds a different eye is needed. And another thing we have too many lumpen defenders as coaches at the club.

I seem to remember me and you sharing the same concerns in the Summer about the lack of pace and creativity in the team, for me it was blindingly obvious that we would struggle to create things even if people on here were trying to make out we didn't have a problem because we had 10 shots on target against whoever.

Did Allardyce really think Barton, Geremi, Smith and Viduka would be the answer to our creative problems?

I have no faith at all in him getting what we need, or him turning this club around, for that reason I'd rather he didn't get anything.

I think the quality of the players is the key issue. You said yourself that given the enormity of the task facing Allardyce last summer that bolstering the squad was about all he could achieve given the time he had.

But he spent 6 million on Smith, add a million or two to that and he could have gone for the likes of Elano or Muntari.  Players who would not only have improved the squad but would also have improved the first team dramatically.

He also set the team out to win against Derby at home and still the players werent good enough (taking into account their honeymoon period obviously ;) )

He went with the same formula he always does.  Two defensive midfielders and one not defensive but hardly attacking midfielder.  One up front, five in midfield with two breaking from midfield to back up the lone striker.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Smith as a defensive shield and lone striker has played well this season

Smith as a goalscorer and creative/wide midfielder has not!

Good post, Chez.

Do you think Sven would be doing better with our current lot? Or Moyes? I think the squad is a bit s*** and most teams above us have one or two key players that make them tick that we dont.

Spot on!

We could easily see the team as a whole gel together with a couple of cracking signings!

I don't think our defence is half as bad as the media make out!  It's the midfield giving the ball away with sloppy passes then falling on there arses trying to gain back possession, and this just heaps more pressure on the back line!

Aye, same as last season and which was pointed out by some last season before loads of new defenders were signed...with no improvement.