Martins

Guest K9

Martins your breaking my heart please start playing again...

Thing is he doesn't know how to play the game unless hes spoonfed world class service like he had at Inter...Lee Dixon said ages ago on MOTD that he doesn't really see a learning curve and thats probably right...so he wont improve much in inteligence...damn it...

He needs service.

When he gets it he messes up

far too often i'm afraid, and i'm sorry parky, what torres cost liverpool is irrelevant, whether you think he was worth the money or not isnt gonna make martins a better player

Martins is not a top tier forward comparing him to the likes of Torres or Villa or RVN is grossly unfair. If you lot want a forward all these posts reflect well stump up the £30m and you can have one.

to be fair you were the one who started saying things like put him in a different team and he'll score more etc, as i've said though, that counts for anyone, more chances, more goals, anyway i'm not gonna start repeating myself, i just dont think he's good enough

Martins your breaking my heart please start playing again...

Thing is he doesn't know how to play the game unless hes spoonfed world class service like he had at Inter...Lee Dixon said ages ago on MOTD that he doesn't really see a learning curve and thats probably right...so he wont improve much in inteligence...damn it...

He needs service.

When he gets it he messes up

far too often i'm afraid, and i'm sorry parky, what torres cost liverpool is irrelevant, whether you think he was worth the money or not isnt gonna make martins a better player

Martins is not a top tier forward comparing him to the likes of Torres or Villa or RVN is grossly unfair. If you lot want a forward all these posts reflect well stump up the £30m and you can have one.

to be fair you were the one who started saying things like put him in a different team and he'll score more etc, as i've said though, that counts for anyone, more chances, more goals, anyway i'm not gonna start repeating myself, i just dont think he's good enough

Fair enough. But the things people are criticising Martins for you can level at 90% of PL strikers on any given day.

Maritns biggest problem is his footballing intelligence, when he finds himself with a bit of time, he usually ends up taking that second too long, footballing intellignece in instictive and not conscious, if its not right now, it never will be.

However, i think that if he was converted to an in the box striker he may be more effective, lesss time to react and have to think etc....

Maritns biggest problem is his footballing intelligence, when he finds himself with a bit of time, he usually ends up taking that second too long, footballing intellignece in instictive and not conscious, if its not right now, it never will be.

However, i think that if he was converted to an in the box striker he may be more effective, lesss time to react and have to think etc....

His strike record for Inter was roughly 1 in 3 which is what it is with us. That's is what we paid for and what we got. If you want a 1 in 2 striker you have to put up the cash.

His strike record for Inter was roughly 1 in 3 which is what it is with us. That's is what we paid for and what we got. If you want a 1 in 2 striker you have to put up the cash.

board thread board thread!

you're right of course, it'll be interesting to see if martins is still here next season as i think it'll depend on whether sam thinks he can be coached into a much more consistent performer, or indeed if sam's here at all but thats a different matter

We need to spend big on a top striker, but not to replace Martins or Owen, to play alongside one of them.

This thread is such a stupid kneejerk.  How many did he score last season, 17?  Yeah, he doesn't have the best footballing brain, but he works defences very well and will always be a danger.  He is a player that will improve.  Maybe he'd have scored more this season if he wasn't forced out wide so often by our idiot manager.

It's the slow and immobile Viduka (Who was twice as bad as Martins last night, btw) we need to think about replacing, as he simply cannot be a starter for us from next season onwards.

We need to spend big on a top striker, but not to replace Martins or Owen, to play alongside one of them.

This thread is such a stupid kneejerk.  How many did he score last season, 17?  Yeah, he doesn't have the best footballing brain, but he works defences very well and will always be a danger.  He is a player that will improve.  Maybe he'd have scored more this season if he wasn't forced out wide so often by our idiot manager.

It's the slow and immobile Viduka (Who was twice as bad as Martins last night, btw) we need to think about replacing, as he simply cannot be a starter for us from next season onwards.

yeah he REALLY doesn't like the cold does he?

have to say if sam stays i can see more effort/cash being put into defence than attack, all depends on how much money he gets/doesnt get

True! I rememeber fergie saying something about  the need for Rooney to spread his goals out over a good number of games, because his scoring record was similar to Martins.  Id rather have Martins have 15 scoring games a season with 15 goals, than  15 goals in 8 scoring games over the season.  If that makes sense.

True! I rememeber fergie saying something about  the need for Rooney to spread his goals out over a good number of games, because his scoring record was similar to Martins.  Id rather have Martins have 15 scoring games a season with 15 goals, than  15 goals in 8 scoring games over the season.  If that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense.

True! I rememeber fergie saying something about  the need for Rooney to spread his goals out over a good number of games, because his scoring record was similar to Martins.  Id rather have Martins have 15 scoring games a season with 15 goals, than  15 goals in 8 scoring games over the season.  If that makes sense.

haha. you can just see it, 'oba, oba, miss this one son, save it for next week at arsenal'

sounds like you're saying he needs to be more consistent

Martins contributes precisely fuck all to the team apart from apparently making the opposition scared to play a high line because of his pace. That he can't use unless the ball is a combination of 1) in front of him 2) into an acre of space. He seems to have gone backwards since he started at Newcastle and yet he is our most valuable forward because he's the only one that will play every week. Sad, really is.

Guest Knightrider

footballing intellignece in instictive and not conscious

It's actually both and he has neither. Get rid.

I thought he looked a real threat last night. He's obviously lacking confidence and hauling him off at half time is not going to do that any good. He should have stayed on  and Viduka should have been hauled really. I'm hoping he bangs in some goals at the ANC and then gets some games up front in a 4-4-2 when he's back.

I disagree with that, there is so little time on a football field to think about what you're doing there cant be any thought processes with the ball at your feets, its all sensory feedback.

Guest Knightrider

I disagree with that, there is so little time on a football field to think about what you're doing there cant be any thought processes with the ball at your feets, its all sensory feedback.

I know where you're coming from but I strongly disagree, footballing intelligence is a mixture of the conscious and the subconscious interacting with one another which is actually the quickest way to make the RIGHT decision.

Btw your very top players do their thinking mostly off the pitch, i.e. the likes of Messi will day dream constantly during the day and night about this and that scenario and what they'd do in this and that scenario, which helps them perform much better on the pitch, i.e. make quicker and better decisions.

It's mostly mental this football lark, ability often doesn't even come into it in the heat of the moment.

But still people persist with "football is a simple game"...

I know where you're coming from but I strongly disagree, footballing intelligence is a mixture of the conscious and the subconscious interacting with one another which is actually the quickest way to make the RIGHT decision.

Btw your very top players do their thinking mostly off the pitch, i.e. the likes of Messi will day dream constantly during the day and night about this and that scenario and what they'd do in this and that scenario, which helps them perform much better on the pitch, i.e. make quicker and better decisions.

It's mostly mental this football lark, ability often doesn't even come into it in the heat of the moment.

Dreams win prizes.

I thought he looked a real threat last night. He's obviously lacking confidence and hauling him off at half time is not going to do that any good. He should have stayed on  and Viduka should have been hauled really. I'm hoping he bangs in some goals at the ANC and then gets some games up front in a 4-4-2 when he's back.

With Martins going to the ANC, we need Owen to sharpen up as soon as possible really.  He always takes a while to get back into his goal-scoring runs (we can but pray...).  So I can understand why Martins was switched for Owen at half-time.

Guest Knightrider

Dreams win prizes.

And yet we've never won fuck all for ages, despite all those dreams.

Did Messi tell you that or did you read it somewhere?

Dreams win prizes.

The players coach as per your example. A post that has stunned me actually, you're not really a gumbie at all are you?  :razz:

Guest Knightrider

No, I was just using him as an example. Although I guarantee he falls into that category of player that daydreams about doing this and that before a match. Anyway it's been scientifically proven that if you think about achieving something you're more likely to achieve. Daydreaming is at the heart of all true geniuses and in football where the mind is concerned is what separates many a top footballer from an average one.

Guest Knightrider

Dreams win prizes.

The players coach as per your example. A post that has stunned me actually, you're not really a gumbie at all are you?  :razz:

As I don't know what a gumbie is I don't know whether this is a compliment or what...

No, I was just using him as an example. Although I guarantee he falls into that category of player that daydreams about doing this and that before a match. Anyway it's been scientifically proven that if you think about achieving something you're more likely to achieve.

Especially in sport where there is a larger element of 'acting out' in the mind.

Dreams win prizes.

As I don't know what a gumbie is I don't know whether this is a compliment or what...

...sort of Forest Gump type.  ;)