Dean Ashton

Luc

Very good player, and better than Viduka. I'd like to see him here, but our priority is to get in a striker with pace, as well as technique.

If we have the money, do both.

Its hard to look past Ashton's injury record, but this is where Big Sam is meant to excel, so getting in a target man who is simply better and far more consistent (when he does play) then any of the other shit forwards we have up front would be a step forward. On top of that, hes come back from injury looking a better player imo, his touch and general linkup play has definately improved.

Ashton is one of the few big forwards who could play in Big Sam's preferred system. Big risk as hes definately a crock, but if we can keep him fit hed be a huge bonus for Big Sam. Worthy gamble at £10million, but only if we bring in another pacey forward or two and ship out Owen/Viduka, otherwise we'd have a striking squad full of slow crocks and none of them compatible with each other.

Very good player, and better than Viduka. I'd like to see him here, but our priority is to get in a striker with pace, as well as technique.

If we have the money, do both.

Its hard to look past Ashton's injury record, but this is where Big Sam is meant to excel, so getting in a target man who is simply better and far more consistent (when he does play) then any of the other s*** forwards we have up front would be a step forward. On top of that, hes come back from injury looking a better player imo, his touch and general linkup play has definately improved.

Ashton is one of the few big forwards who could play in Big Sam's preferred system. Big risk as hes definately a crock, but if we can keep him fit hed be a huge bonus for Big Sam. Worthy gamble at £10million, but only if we bring in another pacey forward or two and ship out Owen/Viduka, otherwise we'd have a striking squad full of slow crocks and none of them compatible with each other.

wouldn`t go as far as that

Ashton since January 2006

Only 26 league appearances, 7 goals.

Hmmm. Injury prone and hardly prolific.

Almost an identical record to Carew then who has 7 goals in 25 games, but we all know he brings a lot more to the team than just that.  Anyway now that his major injury is behind him, this season Ashton has 4 goals in 8 starts.  I'd take that.

Almost an identical record to Carew then who has 7 goals in 25 games, but we all know he brings a lot more to the team than just that.  Anyway now that his major injury is behind him, this season Ashton has 4 goals in 8 starts.  I'd take that.

The difference being that Ashton played those 26 games since Jan 2006. Carew has played those 25 since Jan 2007

Players can't add anything at all to the team if they're permanently injured, and I'd suggest it is too early to be sure Ashton is entirely over his problems to be taking a chance.

The difference being that Ashton played those 26 games since Jan 2006. Carew has played those 25 since Jan 2007

Players can't add anything at all to the team if they're permanently injured, and I'd suggest it is too early to be sure Ashton is entirely over his problems to be taking a chance.

I'd have thought it was obvious I was making reference to your "hardly prolific"comment.  Injury wise I'd have my reservations too.

Guest Knightrider

Still better than Torres.

Wahey, forgot those debates. :lol:

I still maintain, he's the better footballer and better all-round player, which was always my argument. I haven't been impressed by Torres, you expect more from a striker with such a reputation and at the price he went for. Having said that though, he still has time to come into his own. I rate his movement, but I don't think he's the greatest of finishers. With his pace, movement and positional intelligence he should be bagging goals galore ala Henry. He lacks the Frenchman's guile and technique though. Very good player still, just not world-class or even close to it as many would have you believe back then and now.