We'll need to spend close to £100m between now and the end of the summer 2008..

Parky

I think we've only spent £15m+ on 2 players in our history.  And one of those is yet to achieve average status.  We've had a lot more brilliant players than that though.

Stop buying average players and return to making brilliant players.

I agree, rebuilding must start now. Perhaps Allardyce is the one to do that, perhaps not, but youth must be the focus.  Once the fundamental structure is laid around viable young talent you can sprinkle in one or two 10m+ players. More Kazenga and less Matty Pattison.

I know where you're coming from when you quote starting with young talent but I'm not  sure if that's not a recipe for disaster. Fair enough Ferguson did it in around 1996 with Neville, Beckham, Scholes and what have you. But I'm not so sure you could do that now with the game having more money. For example I remember when Leeds was being quoted as the next big thing with their youngsters that got to the semi-finals of the Champions League but they self destructed. Not many of those players have gone on to big things. I also look at our team under Robson with some good young players like Bellamy, Jenas, Dyer who were seen by many as players that would go on to great things. Again they just seemed to self destruct. Could also be argued that Spurs were the last team with a group of young players who were going to go on to great things and look what has happened to them this season.

For me I don’t think you can build a team with youngsters anymore as I think if you have too many it becomes too difficult to manage as they get carried away with the glamour and money. I’d say you need to build a team of say 9 core players around 25 and older who would cost us serious money and then buy  three young players with good potential. I know it’s a squad game but hope you get my drift!

I know people will say look at Arsenal, but that tells me two things, either we have to find another Arsene Wenger and allow the person the time to build the team which I couldn’t see happening here and the other thing is if we do go down the road of building a young team then maybe they have to primarily be foreigners. May be young foreign players have the discipline to cope with the glamour and money that goes with the game today.

I also think people are getting it wrong when they say don’t spend a lot of money on “trophy players” and then quoting Luque and Owen. Well give me “trophy players” all day long such as Shearer, Ferdinand, and Albert.

We need to do a better job of scouting as a club and bring in players in the £6 - £10 million range who still have the potential to become better, and more expensive should we choose to sell and make a profit.

For example Elano, Adebayor and Berbatov, who were bought for £8 million, £6 million and £10 million respectively, but how much would they fetch in the market now?

I don't think we have to go as far as buying players who cost £15 - £25 million each. :nope:

Behave yourself Parky.

So other more appealing clubs are going to step aside?

Most players in this range aren't seen to be the finished article for the most part, and therefore aren't pursued by a lot of other clubs. There is still a bit of a question mark with them for various reasons, for example being in smaller leagues.

How many people were after the three I mentioned for instance? None of the top clubs made it really difficult for Tottenham to get Berbatov or Man City to get Elano did they? Adebayor himself wasn't exactly seen to be a world beater at the time either.

So rather than chasing someone like Diego who would fall into your high price range, and who would attract attention from a lot of other clubs, we ought to look at players like Arshavin who doesn't have the reputation of Diego, but who looks like a quality player who could make an impact anyway, and perhaps surprise a lot of people like Elano has. It is up to our scouts to determine these kind of players though, which is not easy to be fair.

I'd personally like to see us getting some good out of the players we have at the mo beofre we go raising the roof of expectations by spending big amounts.

Who?

Owen, Duff, Barton, Geremi....all players which havent shown a great deal of anything as of yet. Would like to see something which resembles a performance from any of the afore mentioned.

They're all s****. None of them would get into a team in the top 4, probably not even the top 6 or 8 at this point of time.

Maybe not the top top4, but they all have shown that they have qualities which arent being replicated in the black and white pitch, its laughalbe that you can rwrite them off so easily, players dont turn crap overnight.

We need to do a better job of scouting as a club and bring in players in the £6 - £10 million range who still have the potential to become better, and more expensive should we choose to sell and make a profit.

For example Elano, Adebayor and Berbatov, who were bought for £8 million, £6 million and £10 million respectively, but how much would they fetch in the market now?

I don't think we have to go as far as buying players who cost £15 - £25 million each. :nope:

Behave yourself Parky.

Surely the same can be said about the £15m+ players?

Behave yourself Parky.

Most players in this range aren't seen to be the finished article for the most part, and therefore aren't pursued by a lot of other clubs. There is still a bit of a question mark with them for various reasons, for example being in smaller leagues.

How many people were after the three I mentioned for instance? None of the top clubs made it really difficult for Tottenham to get Berbatov or Man City to get Elano did they? Adebayor himself wasn't exactly seen to be a world beater at the time either.

So rather than chasing someone like Diego who would fall into your high price range, and who would attract attention from a lot of other clubs, we ought to look at players like Arshavin who doesn't have the reputation of Diego, but who looks like a quality player who could make an impact anyway, and perhaps surprise a lot of people like Elano has. It is up to our scouts to determine these kind of players though, which is not easy to be fair.

How much were the 'scouting finds' like Obi Mikel, Eduardo, Walcott?

Behave yourself Parky.

The point is if we're going to compete at the top table we are going to have to match spend and sometimes outbid.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Behave yourself Parky.

14, 12 and 8 respectively

Behave yourself Parky.

14, 12 and 8 respectively

Exactly.

Behave yourself Parky.

Not sure I understand what you're saying here?

I think you're giving the teams outside of the top 4 too much credit if you think it'll cost £100 million to catch them, Parky.

Best be safe than sorry Baggy.

You know as well as I do in the current market the 2/3 players of extreme quality we need won't come cheap and no end of delusion about scouting and what not is going to change that...

I don't expect them to come cheap, £100 million is a huge amount though mate.

A good manager could get us there with £30-40 million if spent properly, the important thing is tactics and getting the team playing right.

Behave yourself Parky.

Players who still are only potential at the time of purchase will in todays market cost between 10-15m.

Players we need to compete (not just potential) will cost more.

When was the last time we made a profit on a player?

why on earth do you want to make a profit on a player  mackems.gif

No so much a need to make a profit on a player, but more of a case of that we havent really been a club which has transformed players or improved on them. Which is a big issue in itself.

You said "when was the last time we made a profit on a player"

If its alright by you, I am rather glad we kept Rob Lee, John Beresford, Alan Shearer, Gary Speed, Shay Given, Warren Barton, Laurent Robert, even Kieron Dire in his first few years, to name a few, rather than make profits on them.

oh dear.

How much were the 'scouting finds' like Obi Mikel

Man Utd signed him for about £4 million.

Better nip back to google mate.

It is all off memory, how much did they pay for him then? I know Chelsea paid £18 million.

Behave yourself Parky.

The point is if we're going to compete at the top table we are going to have to match spend and sometimes outbid.

I agree, but i think sayin £100m by the end of the summer is a hugely unrealisitc and overly pessimistic price.

I think you're giving the teams outside of the top 4 too much credit if you think it'll cost £100 million to catch them, Parky.

Best be safe than sorry Baggy.

You know as well as I do in the current market the 2/3 players of extreme quality we need won't come cheap and no end of delusion about scouting and what not is going to change that...

I don't expect them to come cheap, £100 million is a huge amount though mate.

A good manager could get us there with £30-40 million if spent properly, the important thing is tactics and getting the team playing right.

Perhaps.

We are a long way behind the top 4 and are already imo falling behind the likes of Pompey, City and Spurs,

City have already spent 35m odd and will spend in Jan and again in the summer. So will the other two more than likely.

We are catching up.

We need one big window and another biggish window before we can start to frighten sides imo.

Players who still are only potential at the time of purchase will in todays market cost between 10-15m.

He is right the top clubs are paying big for the very best talent in the world. Aguero, Nanni & Anderson all went for big fee's.

Behave yourself Parky.

Parky my man you dissapoint me >:(

Santa Cruz just cost Blackburn £3.5 million this past summer and it absolutely enraged me when it happened, because we had instead brought in Viduka.

Santa Cruz didn't do it at Bayern, but he had shown time and again what a good player he was with Paraguay, since the age of 17, in big tournaments.

If we do a good enough job scouting we could definitely find players with decent potential for between £6 million and £10 million in todays market.

Perhaps.

We are a long way behind the top 4 and are already imo falling behind the likes of Pompey, City and Spurs,

City have already spent 35m odd and will spend in Jan and again in the summer. So will the other two more than likely.

We are catching up.

We need one big window and another biggish window before we can start to frighten sides imo.

quite amazing the amount of people still refusing to admit this, thus admitting the ex board showed ambition that we have yet to see from their successors.

Behave yourself Parky.

Santa Cruz just cost Blackburn £3.5 million this past summer and it absolutely enraged me when it happened, because we had instead brought in Viduka.

Santa Cruz didn't do it at Bayern, but he had shown time and again what a good player he was with Paraguay, since the age of 17, in big tournaments.

If we do a good enough job scouting we could definitely find players with decent potential for between £6 million and £10 million in todays market.

if its no easy to get it right every time, and so unnecessary, please explain why manu and chelsea don't do it too ?

Picking out the one in three successes [or whatever the ratio is] proves absolutely nothing mate.

Behave yourself Parky.

Fuck off about Santa Cruz he's average.

We've only just hired some scouts.

When do you want to start competing 2012??!!

Behave yourself Parky.

if its no easy to get it right every time, and so unnecessary, please explain why manu and chelsea don't do it too ?

Picking out the one in three successes [or whatever the ratio is] proves absolutely nothing mate.

Ditto.

I think the ratio is 1 in 12.

When was the last time we made a profit on a player?

why on earth do you want to make a profit on a player  mackems.gif

No so much a need to make a profit on a player, but more of a case of that we havent really been a club which has transformed players or improved on them. Which is a big issue in itself.

You said "when was the last time we made a profit on a player"

If its alright by you, I am rather glad we kept Rob Lee, John Beresford, Alan Shearer, Gary Speed, Shay Given, Warren Barton, Laurent Robert, even Kieron Dire in his first few years, to name a few, rather than make profits on them.

oh dear.

Fair point, not what i meant as my second post reiterates my actual point but well done, you can mark that one onto ya little victory chalk board.

But, do not you not see under which managers these were at there most profitable, that says a lot about he stae of the club at the mo as we have made some laughable losses. What id like to see, for the first time in 4 years is a set up which is able to sustain the value and even improve the value of our players as it is a massive indication of success on the pitch.

I dont think this is a 10 years thing either, this is a coaching thing to be able to improve players, Mourihno for example brought on the games of Lampard, JCole Terry etc in a matter of a season.

Investment is definitely required though.

Behave yourself Parky.

Ditto.

I think the ratio is 1 in 12.

and faced with the choice between a 3.5m Santa Cruz or a 12m Ronaldo, I'd take a 12m Ronaldo. And so would manure it would seem.........