We'll need to spend close to £100m between now and the end of the summer 2008..

Parky

Arsenal's spending :laugh:

Amazing.

Arsenals youth and scouting system is amazing not the spend. They cashed in on Henry last year which has made the net spend look small, but I seem to remember they bought a few players. Eduardo, Sanga etc...

As I said you want to wait 10 yrs and have a clone of Wenger handy be my guest.

:lol:

I thought when you said...

Players who will ultimately cost between 15 - 25m each.  :yikes:

You meant 15 - 25m each. 

....so it follows some might be 15m. Yes? Look at VDVaarts valuation or a top tier DM etc...

No hiding from it we need to spend some cash, all this going round the houses about installing saunas and freezers and 30 technical staff won't make a jot of differance if there isn't quality on the park. Case closed.

I think Mort/Ashley putting £75M into balancing the debt, specifying young talent as a priority and buying Tozer points in a direction away from Shepherds vanity trips to grab Owen or Rooney and have a parade for their arrival, a glorious to parade to celebrate our might, while hiding several skeletons in our safety deposit box.

The last thing we need is to buy £15m+ players whose value would likely drop faster than you can say "Luque, Boumsong, Owen, Cort, Kluivert, Marcelino".

I don't want to continue buying average players, but maybe that's just me.

You meant 15 - 25m each. 

....so it follows some might be 15m. Yes? Look at VDVaarts valuation or a top tier DM etc...

No hiding from it we need to spend some cash, all this going round the houses about installing saunas and freezers and 30 technical staff won't make a jot of differance if there isn't quality on the park. Case closed.

I think Mort/Ashley putting £75M into balancing the debt, specifying young talent as a priority and buying Tozer points in a direction away from Shepherds vanity trips to grab Owen or Rooney and have a parade for their arrival, a glorious to parade to celebrate our might, while hiding several skeletons in our safety deposit box.

The last thing we need is to buy £15m+ players whose value would likely drop faster than you can say "Luque, Boumsong, Owen, Cort, Kluivert, Marcelino".

I think we've only spent £15m+ on 2 players in our history.  And one of those is yet to achieve average status.  We've had a lot more brilliant players than that though.

Stop buying average players and return to making brilliant players.

Agree 100% that we need to start spending a lot more money to be where we want to be. You also have to consider that a large amount of our spending has gone on players who have contributed nothing or we didn't get our money back, such as Owen and Luque!

Fair point.

ie the money is not showing on the pitch?

Essentially I meant that we are starting to be outspent and also the big money we have splashed out has been very poorly spent with no return. Apart from Arsenal, where you have to consider that Wenger started from a much better base than Allardyce which allowed him the time to mould the club, every other team that has been successful has spent money. Just look at our most successful time under Keegan, that only happened because he was allowed to splash the cash, i.e. buying the world’s most expensive defender and breaking the world record for Shearer. Let’s face it, it did not happen because he was a tactical genius or anything!

I also don't agree that we couldn't buy some of the top players. Money talks and if you got a top player or two and showed ambition, the rest would follow. Look at Chelsea and what happened when they starting splashing the cash. I even look at some of the players Bayern Munich got in the summer in Toni and Ribery, they are not in the Champions League. Yes they have a good heritage that is much better than ours, but it does show that the Champions League is not everything.

You meant 15 - 25m each. 

I think we've only spent £15m+ on 2 players in our history.  And one of those is yet to achieve average status.  We've had a lot more brilliant players than that though.

Fair points and to an extent I agree.

The value of players has gone up massively since all the new TV deals HP.

Yesterdays 10-15m player is todays 20-30m player.

Get with it as a club or forget it. If you're (not you) going to forget it stop whinning about Smith, Sammy Dice, the ref, Diet coke or whatever....

Guest efullerton

I agree, rebuilding must start now. Perhaps Allardyce is the one to do that, perhaps not, but youth must be the focus.  Once the fundamental structure is laid around viable young talent you can sprinkle in one or two 10m+ players. More Kazenga and less Matty Pattison.

I agree with the policy of buying promising young talent and improving the youth set up, etc. I don't agree with Allardyce and Mort when they say you cant just go out and buy success. Look at Chelsea (and to a lesser extent Man City this season). By all means plan and build for the future when we will 'grow our own' but until then can we not go out and buy some decent players to hopefully make the team good now? It all depends on how much more money Ashley wants to spend.

We need to do a better job of scouting as a club and bring in players in the £6 - £10 million range who still have the potential to become better, and more expensive should we choose to sell and make a profit.

For example Elano, Adebayor and Berbatov, who were bought for £8 million, £6 million and £10 million respectively, but how much would they fetch in the market now?

I don't think we have to go as far as buying players who cost £15 - £25 million each. :nope:

Behave yourself Parky.

When was the last time we made a profit on a player?

why on earth do you want to make a profit on a player  mackems.gif

No so much a need to make a profit on a player, but more of a case of that we havent really been a club which has transformed players or improved on them. Which is a big issue in itself.

We need to do a better job of scouting as a club and bring in players in the £6 - £10 million range who still have the potential to become better, and more expensive should we choose to sell and make a profit.

For example Elano, Adebayor and Berbatov, who were bought for £8 million, £6 million and £10 million respectively, but how much would they fetch in the market now?

I don't think we have to go as far as buying players who cost £15 - £25 million each. :nope:

Behave yourself Parky.

So other more appealing clubs are going to step aside?

I'd personally like to see us getting some good out of the players we have at the mo beofre we go raising the roof of expectations by spending big amounts.

Who?

Owen, Duff, Barton, Geremi....all players which havent shown a great deal of anything as of yet. Would like to see something which resembles a performance from any of the afore mentioned.

I'd personally like to see us getting some good out of the players we have at the mo beofre we go raising the roof of expectations by spending big amounts.

Who?

Owen, Duff, Barton, Geremi....all players which havent shown a great deal of anything as of yet. Would like to see something which resembles a performance from any of the afore mentioned.

I'm sorry fred I'm not going to bother ans that one.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Give Allardyce credit for bringing Anelka back to England. Bolton will make a tidy sum off his sale, and its all down to Big Sam.

Signed for 10mil

Sold for 14mil+

Give Allardyce credit for bringing Anelka back to England. Bolton will make a tidy sum off his sale, and its all down to Big Sam.

Signed for 10mil

Sold for 14mil+

No one said Sammy Dice couldn't spot good players.

Who?

They're all shite. None of them would get into a team in the top 4, probably not even the top 6 or 8 at this point of time.

You meant 15 - 25m each. 

It's not just you, its anyone else with their head screwed on properly.

Somebody will buy Ameobi for 2m quid unless of course we can't buy better ourselves for 2m quid so keep him.

I think you're giving the teams outside of the top 4 too much credit if you think it'll cost £100 million to catch them, Parky.

Best be safe than sorry Baggy.

You know as well as I do in the current market the 2/3 players of extreme quality we need won't come cheap and no end of delusion about scouting and what not is going to change that...