We'll need to spend close to £100m between now and the end of the summer 2008..

Parky

but Parky's set up a thread with a senationalist title and and nonsensical numbers and people have come along and agreed.  I'll not take him literally but he needs to put a wink to let me know when.

On page 1 I said to Parky "Obviously gutted about not winning best WUM 2007", the lad is after the 2008 crown.

blueyes.gif

He's like me. I once convinced a mate that cat's lay eggs, and a bloke in the pub that Gullit did as good a job as Robson.

The number of people that'll agree with him so readily is frightening though.  It's too easy on here.

Starting?

They've been spending big for years man.

The mackems have spent as much as Portsmouth this year so don't tell me it guarantees success.

.............. how long before people like you realise that the last board had the right idea after all .......

A few years of bargain buys perhaps  :cheesy:

We don't need to spend man, we've got Alan Smith the worlds best midfielder/striker/right winger. With him in our team we simply cannot fail.

With signings like that it could take fat Sam £100 million to get us into the top 10.

I thought that was Parky's original point. ;)

Not taking what Parky says completely literally, i wholeheartedly agree with the principle.

I knew you would. :razz:

But I was hoping for a deeper insight from you.  :undecided:

There are still a few deluded souls who think we could get more out of our players but most recognise that, on the whole, the squad is where it ought to be in the prem.

We need 2 defenders, 3 midfielders and 2 strikers of higher quality than anyone already at the club to be where Ashley said he wanted the club to be in the next few years. I think over the next 18 months, £100m (spent not net spend) isnt far off.

Are you categorically saying that the current pefomrances of our individuals are the best we'll ever see of them? Scratch that, not even "best" but a true reflection of what they genreally capable of?

No. He's saying that we need 2 defenders, 3 midfielders and 2 strikers of high quality if we are to seriously challenge the top clubs.

And, despite what you think, we aren't going to do this by looking around for cheap young players and cheap foreigners and bargains.

Mick will confirm this is how the club was run for decades prior to 1992.

f*** it, we have £2000m pounds behind us, lets get the 11 best player we can get. That'll show real ambition.

Dammit, i bit

EDIT: my comment was in reference to his "deluded fans" bit, man, how long are you gonna be sniping my posts? I cant really be doing with your crap to be honest, you had a debate with me, you lost it, get over yourself man.

I think we're less able to sign ANY player another club is interested in than we were when Souness arrived.  I think this is evident in Allardyce's exasperration at being unable to pick up any of his original targets, none of which were trophy signings at all.  No need to tell those you managed to get that like.

Silvestre - Was never going to join a club where Barton was, as Dabo is good friend.

Distin - Never going to come back & maybe a touch of Barton factor?!?!

Who were the others, I cant remember?

but Parky's set up a thread with a senationalist title and and nonsensical numbers and people have come along and agreed.  I'll not take him literally but he needs to put a wink to let me know when.

On page 1 I said to Parky "Obviously gutted about not winning best WUM 2007", the lad is after the 2008 crown.

Yeah but the thread has legs because the sentiment is right.

It has legs like his Shearer Seriously thread, he knows the buttons to press but in much more subtle way than a Talksport  presenter.

:lol: Damning with faint praise.

...following that logic (painful) even if we spent 50m on 2/3 players they still wouldn't come....eh?

We can get 3 players for the best part of £50m as Souey proved.

That was years ago, we were a champions league chasing side, in the UEFA cup.  We could then, we can't now.

we finished lower the season just before owen and luque signed than we did last season, champion's league chasing my arse. oh and we werent in the uefa the season luque and owen joined either.

Aye, a poor season after Robson did so brilliantly, so that's when we really had to be blinded by the cash being flashed so Freddy had to suck Owens cock for him to come (even though he was a crock no-one wanted).  Luque was one of the bung deals, must have been, because he was vastly overpriced, are you saying you want more of those 2 types of signing.

How childish.

Quite a lot of people were pretty happy when we signed Luque........in fact, one of the longest threads ever was put together by people saying we should give him a run even though it was patently obvious after his first game that he would never be fit to lace Craig Bellamys boots

Starting?

They've been spending big for years man.

The mackems have spent as much as Portsmouth this year so don't tell me it guarantees success.

.............. how long before people like you realise that the last board had the right idea after all .......

A few years of bargain buys perhaps  :cheesy:

Without Bobby Robson begging for the job, Shepherds tenure could have seen the biggest fall from grace since Peter Risdale said "howabout some fish for the reception?"

We don't need to spend man, we've got Alan Smith the worlds best midfielder/striker/right winger. With him in our team we simply cannot fail.

With signings like that it could take fat Sam £100 million to get us into the top 10.

Not taking what Parky says completely literally, i wholeheartedly agree with the principle.

There are still a few deluded souls who think we could get more out of our players but most recognise that, on the whole, the squad is where it ought to be in the prem.

We need 2 defenders, 3 midfielders and 2 strikers of higher quality than anyone already at the club to be where Ashley said he wanted the club to be in the next few years. I think over the next 18 months, £100m (spent not net spend) isnt far off.

Are you categorically saying that the current pefomrances of our individuals are the best we'll ever see of them? Scratch that, not even "best" but a true reflection of what they genreally capable of?

No. He's saying that we need 2 defenders, 3 midfielders and 2 strikers of high quality if we are to seriously challenge the top clubs.

at least

I think we're less able to sign ANY player another club is interested in than we were when Souness arrived.  I think this is evident in Allardyce's exasperration at being unable to pick up any of his original targets, none of which were trophy signings at all.  No need to tell those you managed to get that like.

Silvestre - Was never going to join a club where Barton was, as Dabo is good friend.

Ben Haim, Bridge?

...following that logic (painful) even if we spent 50m on 2/3 players they still wouldn't come....eh?

That was years ago, we were a champions league chasing side, in the UEFA cup.  We could then, we can't now.

we finished lower the season just before owen and luque signed than we did last season, champion's league chasing my arse. oh and we werent in the uefa the season luque and owen joined either.

Aye, a poor season after Robson did so brilliantly, so that's when we really had to be blinded by the cash being flashed so Freddy had to suck Owens cock for him to come (even though he was a crock no-one wanted).  Luque was one of the bung deals, must have been, because he was vastly overpriced, are you saying you want more of those 2 types of signing.

How childish.

Quite a lot of people were pretty happy when we signed Luque........in fact, one of the longest threads ever was put together by people saying we should give him a run even though it was patently obvious after his first game that he would never be fit to lace Craig Bellamys boots

Childish how?

I hardly watch any football outside of NUFC so I only really judge a transfers success on how the player performs for us.

Are Barton, Geremi, Duff and Smith the sort of midfield that gets the best out of slow immobile attackers?

Take your time.

Considering three of those were brought in by Allardyce (and they weren't exactly cheap), do you think trusting him with more money will see him change targets to something more exotic?

General question, not really owt to do with the thread as such. I know you've advocated giving him time.

Would of been my secondpoint to Chez!

Dave, i'm not sure, thats the biggest question facing the club (as i said after City  :shifty:).

Fruitbat, my point was that the midfielders we have dont have the attributes to match the attributes of our strikers. Both departments are lacking and neither can make up for the inadequacies of the other. So, yes, i think the players are just about playing to their potential which is why we arent any higher up the league. Blame last summer if you want. 

I tend not to over analyse things so forgive me for not understanding this, but why exactly do we have the wrong kind of strikers for our midfield?  We've got tall ones, short one's, fat one's, skinny one's, strong one's and weak one's.  Is it the midfield that's wrong?  What attributes do the midfield lack when playing at potential.  Duff in Blackburn form is an excellent provider and occasssional scorer.  As are Milner, Smith and Zoggy on Villa, Leeds and previous form.  Butt, Geremi, and Faye are solid as a rock on Man U, Chelsea and current form, while Barton always looked a classy* box to box player at Man City.

Sounds like British Rail excuse like the wrong kind of snow on the track.

*EDIT: Of course by classy I mean in a working class scumbag, thugish charver, blood and guts way.

Not sure if you actually seriously asking me or not....

Viduka and Owen are immobile and slow, Martins is unpredictable.

The midfield has no pace or creativity.

You can have one or the other but both at the same time means neither makes up for the inadequacies of the other. If the midfield had class and pace, they would pull defenders out of position, allowing the strikers to find space. If the attack had more class and a lot of pace, a hardworking midfield would be able to support them. The lack of mobility up front (and the spatial spackaness of Martins) places greater emphasis on creativity behind them.

So you dont think there would be a single manager in the world who could put us in a better position with the squad we have at present?

9 players currently on the books have been brought to the club by Allardyce, with the deals sanctioned by Mort/Ashley. If the vast majority of them aren't good enough, who are you going to blame. Before you reply, consider the transfer fees involved and the competition we had to sign most of them ........

Still. I'm sure that you appear to be happy with the season so far. The books are balanced, and we have a long term "plan". Shame every other club also has a long term "plan", part of which will be to have a better "plan" than our "plan".

Ben Haim, Bridge?

Well Ben Haim went for the £££'s.

Didnt know about Bridge.

I am disappointed Sam didn't have new signings lined up for 01/01/08 & was expecting new first team players to join us when the Afro 4 went.

What?  We'd finished 14th in the Premiership the season before we signed those players and we weren't in Europe in any form.  We're a premiership side, that's enough to attract big players if you're willing to spend the cash.  Of course it also doesn't hurt that we've at least been in Europe plenty of times unlike most of the rest of the Premiership..

only on account of the ambition and effort shown by the club since 1992. But correct though.

Are Barton, Geremi, Duff and Smith the sort of midfield that gets the best out of slow immobile attackers?

Take your time.

Considering three of those were brought in by Allardyce (and they weren't exactly cheap), do you think trusting him with more money will see him change targets to something more exotic?

General question, not really owt to do with the thread as such. I know you've advocated giving him time.

Dave, i'm not sure, thats the biggest question facing the club (as i said after City  :shifty:).

Fruitbat, my point was that the midfielders we have dont have the attributes to match the attributes of our strikers. Both departments are lacking and neither can make up for the inadequacies of the other. So, yes, i think the players are just about playing to their potential which is why we arent any higher up the league. Blame last summer if you want. 

I tend not to over analyse things so forgive me for not understanding this, but why exactly do we have the wrong kind of strikers for our midfield?  We've got tall ones, short one's, fat one's, skinny one's, strong one's and weak one's.  Is it the midfield that's wrong?  What attributes do the midfield lack when playing at potential.  Duff in Blackburn form is an excellent provider and occasssional scorer.  As are Milner, Smith and Zoggy on Villa, Leeds and previous form.  Butt, Geremi, and Faye are solid as a rock on Man U, Chelsea and current form, while Barton always looked a classy* box to box player at Man City.

*EDIT: Of course by classy I mean in a working class scumbag, thugish charver, blood and guts way.

You can have one or the other but both at the same time means neither makes up for the inadequacies of the other. If the midfield had class and pace, they would pull defenders out of position, allowing the strikers to find space. If the attack had more class and a lot of pace, a hardworking midfield would be able to support them. The lack of mobility up front (and the spatial spackaness of Martins) places greater emphasis on creativity behind them.

So you dont think there would be a single manager in the world who could put us in a better position with the squad we have at present?

9 players currently on the books have been brought to the club by Allardyce, with the deals sanctioned by Mort/Ashley. If the vast majority of them aren't good enough, who are you going to blame. Before you reply, consider the transfer fees involved and the competition we had to sign most of them ........

Still. I'm sure that you appear to be happy with the season so far. The books are balanced, and we have a long term "plan". Shame every other club also has a long term "plan", part of which will be to have a better "plan" than our "plan".

mate you shouldnt keep putting plan in inverted commas like that, it makes you look mental, planning in business is always beneficial, doesn't matter who's in charge

Ben Haim, Bridge?

Well Ben Haim went for the £££'s.

Didnt know about Bridge.

I am disappointed Sam didn't have new signings lined up for 01/01/08 & was expecting new first team players to join us when the Afro 4 went.

Tamas Kadar, Ben Tozer....

They're flying in man.

And, despite what you think, we aren't going to do this by looking around for cheap young players and cheap foreigners and bargains.

f*** it, we have £2000m pounds behind us, lets get the 11 best player we can get. That'll show real ambition.

Dammit, i bit

EDIT: my comment was in reference to his "deluded fans" bit, man, how long are you gonna be sniping my posts? I cant really be doing with your crap to be honest, you had a debate with me, you lost it, get over yourself man.

I don't lose to anybody who hasn't got a clue

How childish.

Childish how?

I hardly watch any football outside of NUFC so I only really judge a transfers success on how the player performs for us.

oh well, I've highlighted it for you as you don't seem able to see it

Take your time.

mate you shouldnt keep putting plan in inverted commas like that, it makes you look mental, planning in business is always beneficial, doesn't matter who's in charge

Well, I think people who infer that "plans" bring automatic success in football, are pretty stupid.

It makes you look like you are saying the only teams who have "plans" are those who win the league, FA Cup and League Cup. Clearly bollocks, as you clearly had a flawed "plan" for not winning one of these trophies. Thats one hell of a lot of teams without a "plan" by the way.

Take your time.

Well, I think people who infer that "plans" bring automatic success in football, are pretty stupid.

It makes you look like you are saying the only teams who have "plans" are those who win the league, FA Cup and League Cup. Clearly bollocks, as you clearly had a flawed "plan" for not winning one of these trophies. Thats one hell of a lot of teams without a "plan" by the way.

ok, and what about what i actually said?

How childish.

Childish how?

oh well, I've highlighted it for you as you don't seem able to see it

Ah right.  It's just a comic convention to exagerate a persons actions to highlight their perspective in a situation.  Crack a smile man.  I don't think Owen had his cock sucked at any of those meetings (though I don't think we can ever really be sure), but he certainly wasn't keen was he?  He just had no other option but to sit in the Madrid reserves.

Dammit, i bit

I don't lose to anybody who hasn't got a clue

Is that one of your "opinions" or "FACTS"?