Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

1. So you think a relegation struggle - our first one since before 1992 - is a success then ?

2. I've explained this before. I don't believe Keegan wouldn't have had a quick look, realised what we needed and just paid the money for the best player at a micky mouse club like Blackburn [for example], which even if he is only directly responsible for one point [although it would be more but I'm saying this to make a point] could make all the difference and so immediately pay his transfer fee back.

As I've said, the last board was slaughtered for not spending cash every time we lost a game, and for not  spending cash in the summer of 2003 when it was perfectly understandable that they had stretched themselves to get back into the top spots already. So please explain the difference, apart from ignoring the point that losing our premiership status would be an absolute disaster.

I could have sworn that Shepherd told Bobby Robson that he didn't think that Robson could keep us up when he appointed him.  We looked as if we could go down under Souness and it didn't look too good under Roeder.  To say this is the first relegation struggle is rubbish, it will probably end up as our worst finish in the Premiership, it isn't our first relegation struggle.

Keegan has said that he decided not to bring anybody in so I find it amazing that you still bang on about him not bringing anybody in, especially with the history of Keegan and this club, do you think Keegan is a liar?

don't suppose that I'll get a truthful response if a response at all, nothing new there, but seeing as you have admitted that its possible we could have our worst ever premiership finish, whats your opinion on that, as soon as the fat bastard and his chum who allowed him to run the club all on his own [hugely laughable opinion too  :lol:] have walked out of the door

Lets just say that Keegan is diplomatic, having said that he wanted 3 players. Or do you seriously think he's going to tell us that he wasn't handed the money to buy a player he wanted at this stage ?

Keep making things up, you're a bigger joke and hoot than ever and thats saying something.

1. So you think a relegation struggle - our first one since before 1992 - is a success then ?

2. I've explained this before. I don't believe Keegan wouldn't have had a quick look, realised what we needed and just paid the money for the best player at a micky mouse club like Blackburn [for example], which even if he is only directly responsible for one point [although it would be more but I'm saying this to make a point] could make all the difference and so immediately pay his transfer fee back.

As I've said, the last board was slaughtered for not spending cash every time we lost a game, and for not  spending cash in the summer of 2003 when it was perfectly understandable that they had stretched themselves to get back into the top spots already. So please explain the difference, apart from ignoring the point that losing our premiership status would be an absolute disaster.

I could have sworn that Shepherd told Bobby Robson that he didn't think that Robson could keep us up when he appointed him.  We looked as if we could go down under Souness and it didn't look too good under Roeder.  To say this is the first relegation struggle is rubbish, it will probably end up as our worst finish in the Premiership, it isn't our first relegation struggle.

Keegan has said that he decided not to bring anybody in so I find it amazing that you still bang on about him not bringing anybody in, especially with the history of Keegan and this club, do you think Keegan is a liar?

don't suppose that I'll get a truthful response if a response at all, nothing new there, but seeing as you have admitted that its possible we could have our worst ever premiership finish, whats your opinion on that, as soon as the fat bastard and his chum who allowed him to run the club all on his own [hugely laughable opinion too  :lol:] have walked out of the door

Lets just say that Keegan is diplomatic, having said that he wanted 3 players. Or do you seriously think he's going to tell us that he wasn't handed the money to buy a player he wanted at this stage ?

Keep making things up, you're a bigger joke and hoot than ever and thats saying something.

We know for a fact that we had bids for Woodgate accepted and Barnes turned down. It also seems to be the case that we had a bid turned down for that Czech lad. I've also been told from someone I trust with no reason to lie that Deco also said no thanks for both Jan and the summer.

So its untrue to claim that no money was available for Keegan.

As for Ashley/Fred, I've no doubt that if Fred had stayed last summer we would still be having the same sort of season as we are now

We know for a fact that we had bids for Woodgate accepted and Barnes turned down. It also seems to be the case that we had a bid turned down for that Czech lad. I've also been told from someone I trust with no reason to lie that Deco also said no thanks for both Jan and the summer.

So its untrue to claim that no money was available for Keegan.

As for Ashley/Fred, I've no doubt that if Fred had stayed last summer we would still be having the same sort of season as we are now

but I thought it was the fat bastard who was responsible for bringing to an end all those trophies and glory years, and anybody else would restore it all overnight as he was the single biggest reason for our complete incompetence, being a fat bastard ?

We might in fact be competing for silverware next season, in the old 2nd division, for the first time since the fat bastard and his mate found us.

Fact is a teenage player for a few million quid ie Barnes, would never save us from going down, and THAT is the position we should have addressed as a matter of the utmost urgency. It's utter bollocks that there were no players out there who could have been bought by Newcastle and addressed this situation. Complete utter bollocks.

but I thought it was the fat bastard who was responsible for bringing to an end all those trophies and glory years, and anybody else would restore it all overnight as he was the single biggest reason for our complete incompetence, being a fat bastard ?

Fact is a teenage player for a few million quid ie Barnes, would never save us from going down, and THAT is the position we should have addressed as a matter of the utmost urgency. It's utter bollocks that there were no players out there who could have been bought by Newcastle and addressed this situation. Complete utter bollocks.

I've never siad either of the above are true (the middle point was a scenario which neither you nor I can prove/disprove at this point)

My only point was that it is a fact that money was made available in January, clubs and players turned us down.

Maybe we did bid for Bentley - its in Blackburns interests and Morts policy to have kept it quiet if we did and it was turned down.

I agree that Ashley has made mistakes - not sacking Sam in the summer was the main one for me. But Fred also made mistakes as well as making a few good decisions along the way.

We were however going backwards quickly under Fred, I hoped that the takeover would provide a quick fix to allow foundations to be built, it hasn't. How much of this is down to Ashley and how much downward momentum from Fred is open to debate

• 5 months later...

So, here we are.

IMO in many ways Ashley is an unfit owner and it's not a debate about whether his heart is in the right place or money. IMO he's hired a bunch of cronies while neglecting his key asset Kevin Keegan.

So, here we are.

IMO in many ways Ashley is an unfit owner and it's not a debate about whether his heart is in the right place or money. IMO he's hired a bunch of cronies while neglecting his key asset Kevin Keegan.

This is the bunch of cronies who negotiatied the £12m fee for Milner yes? What a bunch of wasters...

So, here we are.

This is the bunch of cronies who negotiatied the £12m fee for Milner yes? What a bunch of wasters...

What's Keegan worth?

hmmmm....i don't see it that way

i think how this Keegan situation is resolved will tell us a lot about Mike Ashley. If he shows that he is learning from his mistakes, and willing to rectify them - and let's face it, we all knew he was never a football man - then it's a great sign, and it counts as a positive thing. If however he does not learn from mistakes, and does not take steps to correct his position (as one Freddy Shepherd miserably failed to do), then he will also be deemed unfit to run this club.

the events of the next few days will tell us a lot about Mike Ashley. A lot more than this entire past year has told us.

So, here we are.

What's Keegan worth?

You don't need to ask me, I was championing him when you were opening threads questioning Ashley's judgement in sacking Fat Sam and appointing a manager who had been out of the loop for so long.

My point is, it's easy to dismiss Wise and Jiminez as 'cronies' but they have obviously been doing some useful work here. Let's keep things in perspective.

hmmmm....i don't see it that way

i think how this Keegan situation is resolved will tell us a lot about Mike Ashley. If he shows that he is learning from his mistakes, and willing to rectify them - and let's face it, we all knew he was never a football man - then it's a great sign, and it counts as a positive thing. If however he does not learn from mistakes, and does not take steps to correct his position (as one Freddy Shepherd miserably failed to do), then he will also be deemed unfit to run this club.

the events of the next few days will tell us a lot about Mike Ashley. A lot more than this entire past year has told us.

We will see.

So, here we are.

Yes but these wasters replaced Milner (one of our hardest-working players) with what? Our club might be 12m richer but our squad is seriously depleted.

BTW I would have taken 10m for Milner IF we had a decent replacement lined up.

So, here we are.

What's Keegan worth?

You don't need to ask me, I was championing him when you were opening threads questioning Ashley's judgement in sacking Fat Sam and appointing a manager who had been out of the loop for so long.

My point is, it's easy to dismiss Wise and Jiminez as 'cronies' but they have obviously been doing some useful work here. Let's keep things in perspective.

I'm all for a bit of perspective man. (ho ho).

So, here we are.

Yes but these wasters replaced Milner (one of our hardest-working players) with what? Our club might be 12m richer but our squad is seriously depleted.

We did bring in 6 players this summer as well as selling, including IMO the most important, a striker who can play when Viduka has his feet up. I would agree though, that the squad is still not strong enough - even if it might turn out to be better than some are giving it credit for.

So, here we are.

We did bring in 6 players this summer as well as selling, including IMO the most important, a striker who can play when Viduka has his feet up. I would agree though, that the squad is still not strong enough - even if it might turn out to be better than some are giving it credit for.

That's correct. It's easy to forget that we've managed to get rid of some serious dross with our outgoing transfers (Ramage, Baba, Carr, Emre, Roz), who have been replaced with players who - so far- look like actual footballers.

Jonas

Guthrie

Coloccini

Bassong

Xisco

Nacho

IYAM the outlay has been reasonable, and the fee we got for Milner was way too good to turn down. Our summer business could have been better, but was not all that bad by any stretch. What we need now is for the entire squad of players to pull together, rally around Keegan, the fans and the club, and play for the shirt. Any shortage in playing staff at any point or another can be covered by the one or two youngsters who are closest to being ready for the first team. This IMO is also a good thing, as its pointless to have these young players around the place, without having the opportunity to test them in the big time once in a while. Do people forget who Man U had to rely on in our opening game to cover for their injuries? Campbell, Possebon, Rafael?

We're not in as bad a position as some will have you believe.

All i want to see out of this is that the relevant people learn from their mistakes, or be replaced by people who be unlikely to make them in the first place.

As for those who want a change of ownership, what's the guarantee of getting someone better?

All i want to see out of this is that the relevant people learn from their mistakes, or be replaced by people who be unlikely to make them in the first place.

As for those who want a change of ownership, what's the guarantee of getting someone better?

There are no guarantees in life Lotus sweetie.

The transitory nature of reality at this level of conciousness makes it impossible, i'm learning.

The transitory nature of reality at this level of conciousness makes it impossible, i'm learning.

:lol:

Guest battyleespeed

Regardless of the details the bottomline is that whatever CHANGES Ashley has initiated they haven't brought stability and footballing results.

He has PAID off the club's debt - that's a massive action no doubt but he simply used his financial assets to pay. 

Leadership wise he has definetely FAILED. In long-term he hasn't been able to inject any inspiration and motivation to his managers, players, club followers and media. Whatever insipiration he was able to inject in hiring KK was already slowly vanishing over the summer for the negative signs coming from the club. The rift between KK and executives is sign of poor management and organization - power games and politics played within the organization. Somewhere along the line Ashley has failed to recruit right personnel and cultivate organization where things that like won't happen or if they do at least they will be eradicated effectively.

Stepping in and making sure that Taylor's contract got sorted out quickly was type of leadership that he needs display more. Do the same with Owen and make sure that all the obstacles will be removed out of KK's way so that he can go on and produce maximum results. The strange behaviour with rumored wage cuts, player sales, recruiting old boys for the backroom jobs, lacklustre performance in the transfer market, etc. etc. does give a image of negative leadership.

In fact I've been really disappointed with Ashley's performance. I thought man with a massive business organization like his would be more talented and competent.

Regardless of the details the bottomline is that whatever CHANGES Ashley has initiated they haven't brought stability and footballing results.

He has PAID off the club's debt - that's a massive action no doubt but he simply used his financial assets to pay. 

Leadership wise he has definetely FAILED. In long-term he hasn't been able to inject any inspiration and motivation to his managers, players, club followers and media. Whatever insipiration he was able to inject in hiring KK was already slowly vanishing over the summer for the negative signs coming from the club. The rift between KK and executives is sign of poor management and organization - power games and politics played within the organization. Somewhere along the line Ashley has failed to recruit right personnel and cultivate organization where things that like won't happen or if they do at least they will be eradicated effectively.

Stepping in and making sure that Taylor's contract got sorted out quickly was type of leadership that he needs display more. Do the same with Owen and make sure that all the obstacles will be removed out of KK's way so that he can go on and produce maximum results. The strange behaviour with rumored wage cuts, player sales, recruiting old boys for the backroom jobs, lacklustre performance in the transfer market, etc. etc. does give a image of negative leadership.

In fact I've been really disappointed with Ashley's performance. I thought man with a massive business organization like his would be more talented and competent.

Fair post.

Nobody minds a stronger structure if the right people are in positions of responsibility and there are open lines of communication.

Fair post.

Nobody minds a stronger structure if the right people are in positions of responsibility and there are open lines of communication.

Ashley has filled his shops with cheap crap and built it up. Maybe this is what he's good at. Should have stuck to the formula and bought a shitty little club in the championship that you don't need to spend money on.

I just hope he sells asap to someone who actually wants to succeed at the top level of the game and understands that its only done by buying top footballers that the other top clubs want.

Notably, that having bumped this post, it is seen that the usual culprit has opted out of replying to me when he was found lacking ............

Fair post.

Ashley has filled his shops with cheap crap and built it up. Maybe this is what he's good at. Should have stuck to the formula and bought a shitty little club in the championship that you don't need to spend money on.

I just hope he sells asap to someone who actually wants to succeed at the top level of the game and understands that its only done by buying top footballers that the other top clubs want.

Notably, that having bumped this post, it is seen that the usual culprit has opted out of replying to me when he was found lacking ............

Ok, thats a fair post. So just to make sure I'm getting this right, you don't consider Woodgate and Modric top footballers that other top clubs want? Also, did Chelsea show a lack of ambition in failing to land Robinho ahead of Man City?

edit: i think it's laughable that you have a dig at Ashley for his private business strategy which has made him a billionaire from nothing.