Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

i wonder if NE5  was calling for the head of fat fred in 03-04 and 04-05 for the pathetic level of backing he gave then ?

no I didn't, because they had proved their ambition many times over and accepted the funds weren't there at the time [no real rocket science here mind] - and I wouldn't be hypocritical enough to have urged them to overspend then criticise for them for overspending ........ like numerous people who every time we lost were out in droves with the "splash the cash greedy fat b****** " etc etc

What I'm saying now is too many buys in the average price bracket - rather than these despicable "trophy signings" - along with cheap buys, coupled with lack of urgency in the recent window, has put us fairly and squarely into a relegation struggle. The first real worrying situation, with a lack of quality in the team and squad - since we got promoted in 1993 in fact.

so in 03-04 you were happy with them because they had previously shown ambition.

well i think ashley has shown that by forking out £250mill on his,as you see it "investment". he'll also know right now he would probably not get his money back and he'll need further investment to do that.

do you know how much allardyce had in the summer to play with ? i don't, but you  apparently do.

i wonder if NE5  was calling for the head of fat fred in 03-04 and 04-05 for the pathetic level of backing he gave then ?

I wonder even more if things turn round by the summer, we spend big and start heading in the right direction next season, whether NE5 will be big enough to say "you lads were right to wait to see how things panned out, rather than dumping a skip-load of turd over the new regime at the first possible opportunity"

I won't hold my breath though.

Like I said earlier to you, how long have you supported the club [if you think the last decade has been shite]  - have you replied BTW ? - I haven't supported this club for over 40 years and wanted them to fail [what a daft idea], I admire your optimism which I have had for all these years myself, but not your grasp of reality of the current situation

I was here before Keegan if that answers your question, soo I've seen my share of incompetents in charge at Newcastle. Can't you recognise a sensible viewpoint without needing to check how long someone's supported the club? It doesn't seem so because just like you drag Fat Fred into every thread, you are always questioning everyone's opinion according to their age. Does it not occur to you that a thick twat could still be a thick twat even if he'd watched the town for 30 years?

It certainly does occur to me. The proof is right here in this thread, anyone who says they supported the club in the 1980's and doesn't see how massively superior the club is in comparison, and the rise of the club during the years it was run by the Halls and Shepherd, has simply got to be not the brightest tool in the box

The proof of the pudding is in the quality of the buys. Fulham [for one] backed their manager more than we did. I congratulate you on being happy with smaller clubs than ours backing their managers more than us.

Fulham did better with Coleman who had nowhere near as much as Lawrie S & I doubt Coleman ever spent as much as Roy Hodgson in a January window. Same thing with Souness backed but signed s****. Good managers who sign well are worth more than  a board backing managerial losers with big numbers.  After seeing the cloggers Sam A brought in I am glad he didnt get backed. I just hope KK has the cash in the summer & signs first team players that will improve our team & not sign other clubs fringe players with big reputations.

I don't disagree, but a boards obligation is to back their managers, then it becomes the managers responsibility.

Current situation is that we are in the s*** and sliding due to poor buys in the summer, some in an average price bracket, the rest cheapo's. This tells its own story, especially when Allardyce was talking about lack of support. Why, when he paid the rate for a striker like Anelka for a club like Bolton [including the wages] did he not see fit to go even go to that level at a club like Newcastle .?

Whatever the reason, we are in a relegation scrap because of it, and the transfer window has passed without the addition of a single and badly needed player and a boost.

Mort said before the deadline if we brought in any players it would be young ones for the future. What sort of bollocks is that when you are looking at a relegation struggle ?

With Allardyce in charge yes he did, but when Keegan was appointed, ie there own man, it was clear that money available, do you know how i know that? Because keegan said so himself.

It was his choice not to sign and therefore, im afraid to say it partially his responsiblity if we go down.

I wonder even more if things turn round by the summer, we spend big and start heading in the right direction next season, whether NE5 will be big enough to say "you lads were right to wait to see how things panned out, rather than dumping a skip-load of turd over the new regime at the first possible opportunity"

Like I said earlier to you, how long have you supported the club [if you think the last decade has been s****]  - have you replied BTW ? - I haven't supported this club for over 40 years and wanted them to fail [what a daft idea], I admire your optimism which I have had for all these years myself, but not your grasp of reality of the current situation

I was here before Keegan if that answers your question, soo I've seen my share of incompetents in charge at Newcastle. Can't you recognise a sensible viewpoint without needing to check how long someone's supported the club? It doesn't seem so because just like you drag Fat Fred into every thread, you are always questioning everyone's opinion according to their age. Does it not occur to you that a thick t*** could still be a thick t*** even if he'd watched the town for 30 years?

It certainly does occur to me. The proof is right here in this thread, anyone who says they supported the club in the 1980's and doesn't see how massively superior the club is in comparison, and the rise of the club during the years it was run by the Halls and Shepherd, has simply got to be not the brightest tool in the box

don't think anyone is disagreeing with that but it was stagnating and needed fresh impetus.

Like I said earlier to you, how long have you supported the club [if you think the last decade has been shite]  - have you replied BTW ? - I haven't supported this club for over 40 years and wanted them to fail [what a daft idea], I admire your optimism which I have had for all these years myself, but not your grasp of reality of the current situation

I was here before Keegan if that answers your question, soo I've seen my share of incompetents in charge at Newcastle. Can't you recognise a sensible viewpoint without needing to check how long someone's supported the club? It doesn't seem so because just like you drag Fat Fred into every thread, you are always questioning everyone's opinion according to their age. Does it not occur to you that a thick twat could still be a thick twat even if he'd watched the town for 30 years?

No one is even arguing that point, but don't let that get in the way of your ramblings.

no I didn't, because they had proved their ambition many times over and accepted the funds weren't there at the time [no real rocket science here mind] - and I wouldn't be hypocritical enough to have urged them to overspend then criticise for them for overspending ........ like numerous people who every time we lost were out in droves with the "splash the cash greedy fat b****** " etc etc

What I'm saying now is too many buys in the average price bracket - rather than these despicable "trophy signings" - along with cheap buys, coupled with lack of urgency in the recent window, has put us fairly and squarely into a relegation struggle. The first real worrying situation, with a lack of quality in the team and squad - since we got promoted in 1993 in fact.

so in 03-04 you were happy with them because they had previously shown ambition.

well i think ashley has shown that by forking out £250mill on his,as you see it "investment". he'll also know right now he would probably not get his money back and he'll need further investment to do that.

do you know how much allardyce had in the summer to play with ? i don't, but you  apparently do.

No. I was disappointed they didn't buy players in the summer, but overall, 6 months earlier they brought Woodgate for 9m quid, who arguably may have went somewhere else if we hadn't had the foresight to get him first, and he may have cost more if we had waited until the summer.

It is hardly rocket science to see that the club had stretched themselves to find this money in advance of the summer, on top of the money spent in the previous few years. An excellent piece of business in fact.

So whats your problem, other than demanding the club spend more money - which it probably didn't have - only for people like you to criticise them for spending money they didn't have and going into debt.

Makes me smile when people talk about hypocrisy, because this particular period and the above FACT [ie buying woodgate in advance of the summer and the fact that people don't recognise it for what it really was] is about as hypocritical as anything ever.

No, I don't know how much Allardyce had. All I know is he was trumped for a couple of players he wanted [why ?] and none of the players we brought were hardly in the top quality bracket [why not ?]. But its people who are presuming he had loads of money that you should be asking this question, all the real indications are that he didn't have as much as what you want to believe.

No one is even arguing that point, but don't let that get in the way of your ramblings.

You are though. You are constantly saying you are glad to be rid of the "fat bastard who ate all the pies" ie a major player of the very board you now concede has been a good board.

The truth is, you are so blinded by personalities and the fact that you take a few daft press comments so seriously, you haven't any clue at all , "fat bastard who ate all the pies" just about sums it up

I work away a lot, and believe me, I was never "embarrassed" by anything Fred ever said, nobody ever said anything to me, in fact most people didn't even notice never mind care. People may embarrass you on message boards, but they are only message boards bluelaugh.gif and its not half as embarrassing as spending years in the old 2nd division and being ritually humiliated by lower league teams in cup competitions year after year.

So, to clarify. The club had spent a lot of money backing its managers, showed its ambition then needed a short time to balance the books, yet you criticise them for running up "debts" and also criticise them for taking this short time to try and balance the books instead of running up further debts ?

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

You may be pleased at the lack of activity leading to this relegation fight BTW, you're certainly defending it.  What will you say if we end up in the league the Halls and Shepherd got us out of all those years ago, as soon as they have gone, I wonder.

One day you might actually enlighten us as to why you despise so much the only board we've had for 50 years who tried to capitalise on the fanbase

No, to clarify, you tried to use Fulham to bash Mort and Ashley but it backfired.

Hypocrisy, is that when somebody doesn't mind the chairman slagging the fans, Geordie females and the clubs best player from inside a brothel but gets embarrassed when the owner sits amongst the fans wearing a club shirt?

I'm not defending the "lack of activity," I'm trying to put it into perspective, I can't help it if doesn't fit your agenda, facts are facts.

As for us getting relegated and what I might say, I’ve no idea and will not until it happens, if it does.  I’ve already mentioned in the last few pages of this thread who I would expect to blame.

I don’t despise the old board at all, I just think we could have done a lot better than we actually did, I also know we could have done worse but that doesn’t make what actually happened any better.  I doubt any fan of any other club would look at the worst position they’d ever been in and think of anything else as being good enough just because they hadn’t reached that level again.  And no, I don’t think we’ve got a divine right to anything, if we have then that would be to failing.

No. I was disappointed they didn't buy players in the summer, but overall, 6 months earlier they brought Woodgate for 9m quid, who arguably may have went somewhere else if we hadn't had the foresight to get him first, and he may have cost more if we had waited until the summer.

It is hardly rocket science to see that the club had stretched themselves to find this money in advance of the summer, on top of the money spent in the previous few years. An excellent piece of business in fact.

So whats your problem, other than demanding the club spend more money - which it probably didn't have - only for people like you to criticise them for spending money they didn't have and going into debt.

Makes me smile when people talk about hypocrisy, because this particular period and the above FACT [ie buying woodgate in advance of the summer and the fact that people don't recognise it for what it really was] is about as hypocritical as anything ever.

No, I don't know how much Allardyce had. All I know is he was trumped for a couple of players he wanted [why ?] and none of the players we brought were hardly in the top quality bracket [why not ?]. But its people who are presuming he had loads of money that you should be asking this question, all the real indications are that he didn't have as much as what you want to believe.

the stats included the woodgate signing didn't they ? they were for the 03-04 season and he signed in jan 03

my problem has always been that if someone better came along it would be better for the club....i believe that someone has come along.

also i have no idea how much he could have spent and it was probably the usual reasons that we were trumped...ie the likes of chelsea came in for them

Here we go again, our support was still amongst the best in the country, even in the 1980's.  Football has been transformed since those days, it's not just Newcastle United who have changed, most clubs have, so has football in general.

Like I said earlier to you, how long have you supported the club [if you think the last decade has been s****]  - have you replied BTW ? - I haven't supported this club for over 40 years and wanted them to fail [what a daft idea], I admire your optimism which I have had for all these years myself, but not your grasp of reality of the current situation

I was here before Keegan if that answers your question, soo I've seen my share of incompetents in charge at Newcastle. Can't you recognise a sensible viewpoint without needing to check how long someone's supported the club? It doesn't seem so because just like you drag Fat Fred into every thread, you are always questioning everyone's opinion according to their age. Does it not occur to you that a thick t*** could still be a thick t*** even if he'd watched the town for 30 years?

So how long will that argument stand for? 15 years down the line if we were in the exact same situation we are in now and we still had Shephard in charge, would you still make references to revival of the club in the early 90's.

Football, like all businesses are progressive, some businesses dont have the means to progress any further, we were in a fantastic position to progress massively, yet because of one reason or another we didnt. It's someones fault we are in that position. At the end of the day who is responsible to the fans? The faceless board or.....?

So, to clarify. The club had spent a lot of money backing its managers, showed its ambition then needed a short time to balance the books, yet you criticise them for running up "debts" and also criticise them for taking this short time to try and balance the books instead of running up further debts ?

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

You may be pleased at the lack of activity leading to this relegation fight BTW, you're certainly defending it.  What will you say if we end up in the league the Halls and Shepherd got us out of all those years ago, as soon as they have gone, I wonder.

One day you might actually enlighten us as to why you despise so much the only board we've had for 50 years who tried to capitalise on the fanbase

No, to clarify, you tried to use Fulham to bash Mort and Ashley but it backfired.

Hypocrisy, is that when somebody doesn't mind the chairman slagging the fans, Geordie females and the clubs best player from inside a brothel but gets embarrassed when the owner sits amongst the fans wearing a club shirt?

I'm not defending the "lack of activity," I'm trying to put it into perspective, I can't help it if doesn't fit your agenda, facts are facts.

As for us getting relegated and what I might say, I’ve no idea and will not until it happens, if it does.  I’ve already mentioned in the last few pages of this thread who I would expect to blame.

I don’t despise the old board at all, I just think we could have done a lot better than we actually did, I also know we could have done worse but that doesn’t make what actually happened any better.  I doubt any fan of any other club would look at the worst position they’d ever been in and think of anything else as being good enough just because they hadn’t reached that level again.  And no, I don’t think we’ve got a divine right to anything, if we have then that would be to failing.

didn't backfire at all. The board stretched their ambition for the club as much as possible, only a complete idiot can't see that, but that doesn't mean every single year, we needed to outspend every single club with a smaller fanbase than us.

The signs - and action or lack of - coming out of the new board are worrying. If you can't see it you're blind, or rather deluded. And your hypocrisy still knows no bounds.

I've explained about the brothel business, and sitting in the stand. I don't give a toss about either, provided they do what they are there to do ie show ambition for the club. I think that Ashley sitting among the fans, if he didn't show ambition, is a sap and whats more it would seem people fell for it. Likewise, if the old board hadn't showed ambition, I'd have been annoyed about spending time in a brothel but if they back their managers I don't care what they do.

I've said this before too, but manure fans don't care about Edwards getting up to what he did, because he was winning. Take your cue from supporters who understand winning, not what people want you to think. Oh of course, everybody is intelligent enough to realise the News of the Screws just love to put a slant on things and try to influence people don't they  bluelaugh.gif

When it suits them that is.  bluelaugh.gif

So how long will that argument stand for? 15 years down the line if we were in the exact same situation we are in now and we still had Shephard in charge, would you still make references to revival of the club in the early 90's.

Football, like all businesses are progressive, some businesses dont have the means to progress any further, we were in a fantastic position to progress massively, yet because of one reason or another we didnt. It's someones fault we are in that position. At the end of the day who is responsible to the fans? The faceless board or.....?

or ?

Here we go again, our support was still amongst the best in the country, even in the 1980's.  Football has been transformed since those days, it's not just Newcastle United who have changed, most clubs have, so has football in general.

so why did Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle all want to leave ?

[don't know why I'm asking actually, I know you'll fudge it rather than concede the Halls and Shepherd made the club a much better club where players wanted to stay ]

We bought Woodgate after Bobby had lifted us in time from 13th to a finish that season of 3rd and our best ever finish in the CL, I doubt money was as tight as you try to make out.  In 2003 we spent £9 million and in 2004 we made a profit on transfers of £10.4 million only to then allow Souness to spend £30.9 million, all figures are net.

The best manager ever under Shepherd was given the least amount of money to spend, defend that if you can.  He was given less to spend than Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Graeme Souness and Glenn Roeder under Shepherd.  Roeder, Gullit and Robson were all given less to spend (net) per year than Allardyce. 

We bought Woodgate after Bobby had lifted us in time from 13th to a finish that season of 3rd and our best ever finish in the CL, I doubt money was as tight as you try to make out.  In 2003 we spent £9 million and in 2004 we made a profit on transfers of £10.4 million only to then allow Souness to spend £30.9 million, all figures are net.

The best manager ever under Shepherd was given the least amount of money to spend, defend that if you can.  He was given less to spend than Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Graeme Souness and Glenn Roeder under Shepherd.  Roeder, Gullit and Robson were all given less to spend (net) per year than Allardyce. 

what are you on about ? They all had enough money to succeed, thats what matters. There's more to it than just transfer fees anyway, its the salaries to the top players, who will go elsewhere if someone else offers more. Maybe our woeful summer and some of the shit cheap signings is down to that. 

You are though. You are constantly saying you are glad to be rid of the "fat b****** who ate all the pies" ie a major player of the very board you now concede has been a good board.

The truth is, you are so blinded by personalities and the fact that you take a few daft press comments so seriously, you haven't any clue at all , "fat b****** who ate all the pies" just about sums it up

I work away a lot, and believe me, I was never "embarrassed" by anything Fred ever said, nobody ever said anything to me, in fact most people didn't even notice never mind care. People may embarrass you on message boards, but they are only message boards bluelaugh.gif and its not half as embarrassing as spending years in the old 2nd division and being ritually humiliated by lower league teams in cup competitions year after year.

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

Hysterical, you've just given me my best laugh in ages.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48827.msg1153270#msg1153270

I completely agree.

I think seeing him sitting in the stands wearing a Newcastle shirt has been embarrassing as f**k. And no, I'm not taking the piss

You are though. You are constantly saying you are glad to be rid of the "fat bastard who ate all the pies" ie a major player of the very board you now concede has been a good board.

The truth is, you are so blinded by personalities and the fact that you take a few daft press comments so seriously, you haven't any clue at all , "fat bastard who ate all the pies" just about sums it up

Freddy was essentially a thick big mouth whoes heart was in the right place. He wasn't intelligent enough to do the job properly, personality has F-all to do with it.

You are though. You are constantly saying you are glad to be rid of the "fat b****** who ate all the pies" ie a major player of the very board you now concede has been a good board.

The truth is, you are so blinded by personalities and the fact that you take a few daft press comments so seriously, you haven't any clue at all , "fat b****** who ate all the pies" just about sums it up

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

Hysterical, you've just given me my best laugh in ages.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48827.msg1153270#msg1153270

I completely agree.

I think seeing him sitting in the stands wearing a Newcastle shirt has been embarrassing as f**k. And no, I'm not taking the piss

except I WAS taking the piss, out of people like you who are always harping on about being "embarrassed". The same as when I'm quoting "ate all the pies"

Still, ignore the bit about backing managers being what counts, as I expected

what are you on about ? They all had enough money to succeed, thats what matters. There's more to it than just transfer fees anyway, its the salaries to the top players, who will go elsewhere if someone else offers more. Maybe our woeful summer and some of the s*** cheap signings is down to that. 

If that's the case then so did Allardyce, end of thread.

Freddy was essentially a thick big mouth whoes heart was in the right place. He wasn't intelligent enough to do the job properly, personality has F-all to do with it.

Well, I sort of reckon he'd have been intelligent enough to see us heading for a relegation struggle when it stared him in the face.

Having said that, quite a few others don't seem to see it either.

except I WAS taking the piss, out of people like you who are always harping on about being "embarrassed". The same as when I'm quoting "ate all the pies"

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

Anything you say.

what are you on about ? They all had enough money to succeed, thats what matters. There's more to it than just transfer fees anyway, its the salaries to the top players, who will go elsewhere if someone else offers more. Maybe our woeful summer and some of the s*** cheap signings is down to that. 

If that's the case then so did Allardyce, end of thread.

not enough to pay the salaries of the players he really wanted to sign though ?

I expect you'll ignore this.

Well, I sort of reckon he'd have been intelligent enough to see us heading for a relegation struggle when it stared him in the face.

Having said that, quite a few others don't seem to see it either.

This just gets better.  :lol:

Is that why he sacked Robson and replaced him with Souness?

bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif  bluelaugh.gif

Anything you say.

you haven't told us why Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley all wanted to leave the club. Do you want me to bump it for you ?