We need a foreigner

steve_69

The top European coaches will NOT come to SJP -people have to get their head round this.

Manchester & Liverpool is as far north as they wish to be - we are seen as a club with no recent history of success..imagine a top British manager(if there was one, say Fergie) choosing to manage Fiorentina or Nantes...now maybe if Milan or B/Munich came calling.....!

Fiorentina and Nantes don't have billionaires who could pay them £3-4m p/a.

Houllier would be the safest bet but from what i remember the football his liverpool side played was pretty dour.  Not sure how his Lyon side played though so if anyone could enlighten me that would be great.  I would still take him though because you can't argue with the results he got for liverpool really and he could be interested.

Hitzfeld is obviously a great manager but i think unrealistic.  The football his Bayern side currently play though is great, just don't think there is a cat's chance in hell.

Van Gaal is a excellent manager currently doing brilliantly with Alkmaar.  The football they play is meant to be fantastic as well.  We could maybe tempt him because as i understand it Alkmaar are quite a small club in what is largely an average league.  As the man is so arrogant that he makes Mourinho look modest perhaps he would like a shot in the premiership trying to make a team filled with promise finally meet it.

If we got any of these managers it would be amazing.

Liverpool played more attractive football under Houllier than they're managing at the moment.

There's little differance tbh.

People are waking up to Benitez. The world catches upto me sooner or later.  bluerazz.gif

There are some interesting names in that Telegraph article, I hope these avenues will be explored before approaching Hughes.

Who you backing now Parky?

Didier Deschamp is not keen on joining a club mid season & is one of the front runners to take over France after the Euro's.

With Houllier I would look to move him upstairs at some point as a DOF and then bring in Shearer with a couple of crack young coaches (one european and one english).

Not a bad shout.

Houllier would be the safest bet but from what i remember the football his liverpool side played was pretty dour.  Not sure how his Lyon side played though so if anyone could enlighten me that would be great.  I would still take him though because you can't argue with the results he got for liverpool really and he could be interested.

Hitzfeld is obviously a great manager but i think unrealistic.  The football his Bayern side currently play though is great, just don't think there is a cat's chance in hell.

Van Gaal is a excellent manager currently doing brilliantly with Alkmaar.  The football they play is meant to be fantastic as well.  We could maybe tempt him because as i understand it Alkmaar are quite a small club in what is largely an average league.  As the man is so arrogant that he makes Mourinho look modest perhaps he would like a shot in the premiership trying to make a team filled with promise finally meet it.

If we got any of these managers it would be amazing.

Liverpool played more attractive football under Houllier than they're managing at the moment.

There's little differance tbh.

People are waking up to Benitez. The world catches upto me sooner or later.  bluerazz.gif

Houllier had Liverpool playing with 6 or 7 players who could score. Liverpool rely on 2 players now.

as i remember houlliers liverpool they were extremely narrow, no wingers at all...everything went through the middle via gerrard and the whole gameplan revolved around owens pace (remember the FA they stole from arsenal?)

i think on his own houllier would be hated faster than allardyce

not sure about his lyon team but i do remember they were horrible when he first arrived but went on to win the league, read something about it...

Guest assyriantoon

As DOF Houllier I think would do a good job. I understand the problems people see in his tactics & buying.

It's interesting but I think Houllier would work better under a director of football because as a coach he is spot on. The only problems I have are with his buying and with his style of football (As I said in another thread he wont get time if he plays defensive). At Liverpool and Lyon he inherited strong sides and did better earlier on. As soon as he had to buy it started to go backwards. Even at Lyon his team was far more convincing earlier on, even to the point where they were considered champions league contenders.

Young manager abroad who took over his club when they were doomed, almost miraculously kept them up but just missed out. He took them back up first time of asking, and is now in leading his side right in the hunt for a Champions League spot.

Club in question? Tiny Caen. Man who's doing it?

Franck Dumas. ;)

More qualified for the job than Shearer anyway.