"A Source..."

Willow

I've been wondering, how is this phrase allowed to justisfy so many dodgy quotes you see in so many football headlines/articles/etc..

Surely you could make anything up and just put 'A club insider said today' or 'A source close to the individual' before it and that makes it ok to print. Isn't there some kind of stricter law that governs quotes and their usage?

Obviously there will be but it seems writing so-called 'articles', usually on football transfers, means you can bend them however you like.

For example, this is taken from this Guardian article today:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2240343,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5

A Newcastle source last night denied that Redknapp had ever been offered the post. "Harry Redknapp was never the only name in the frame," he said. "There is a presumption that he was first choice but there is a difference between a job interview and a job offer. We've spoken to more than one person and will be speaking to more people this week." The source added the club were "not narrowing it down to people from these shores".

Cheers if you can clear it up for me as I've never been sure about how it works..

In the past at NUFC the "Source" (or club insider as the Chronicle usually referred to him as) was FFS Mates the car dealer from Whitley Bay pretty much telling the press what FFS wanted them to know.

These days who knows? FFS still has some insider knowledge surprisingly as Skunkers usually accurate source heard from his son about TCA getting the boot before the press did (at approx 3.30 on wednesday).