How long have you supported NUFC?

Guest michaelfoster
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When I was a very little kid i vaguely claimed to be a Liverpool fan as all the kids at school supported them, then my dad came out the forces and told me in no uncertain terms I was a Newcastle fan, I was vaguely sceptical until we went to Bristol City away and got soundly beaten - my dad told me we were the strongest team in the league as we were holding the rest up and i never looked back! First game at SJP was Cambridge, when we won 4-1 and Kelly and Peacock were arguing over who took the penalty (eventually Kelly stepped up and got the hat-trick).

Here's risking a curse  - i've made it up to around 70 games at SJP over the last 16 years and never seen us get beat in the league - i am heading up in about half hour for tomorrow's game so if we lose, full permission to hold me responsible having said this! Seen us get spanked in the Champs League mind, Inter Milan springs immediately to mind.

Surprised by how many started supporting in the 90's as compared to the 80's. I thought 80's babies run this.

Was about to post same.

Guest melikesmags

It all started back in '92 , when I was young like  :clap2:

An awfull long time ago, really...  although, it feels like last week  :undecided:

Attended first game 44 years ago today - January 18th 1964 - Newcastle 4 Grimsby 0 (Thomas2, Anderson2), but really supported Newcastle since birth seven years earlier, as I came from a family where there was no option - football was in the blood and that continues today.

Second game I saw in the same season we got beat 0-4 by Bury so it's been ups and downs the whole way.

Guest microbar

1973 Was my first season with the toon Lord westwood years gotta love em

76 was a big year legue cup final then bloody Dennis Tuearts overhead kick spoilt everything

Those where the days lol.

First game was 1962, at home against Portsmouth when right back, George Dalton scored the winner in the first half with a 20 yard daisy cutter.

Next game I saw was a few weeks later when we beat PNE who had Howard Kenadall making his debut. We beat them 5-2 and I remember we had this ginger haired left winger called Colin Taylor who scored twice. He had the hardest left peg I have ever seen.

Was in the gallowgate end for the Ujpest Dozsa first leg, wembley in 74 (still have nightmares about Bruce Forsyth running up the pitch and kicking the ball into the net and Brendan Foster winning a race around the pitch in a B&W shirt).

Was also back at W in 76, pissed as a parrot by half time

Emigrated to OZ in 79 but still an avid fan.

First game was 1962, at home against Portsmouth when right back, George Dalton scored the winner in the first half with a 20 yard daisy cutter.

Next game I saw was a few weeks later when we beat PNE who had Howard Kenadall making his debut. We beat them 5-2 and I remember we had this ginger haired left winger called Colin Taylor who scored twice. He had the hardest left peg I have ever seen.

Was in the gallowgate end for the Ujpest Dozsa first leg, wembley in 74 (still have nightmares about Bruce Forsyth running up the pitch and kicking the ball into the net and Brendan Foster winning a race around the pitch in a B&W shirt).

Was also back at W in 76, pissed as a parrot by half time

Emigrated to OZ in 79 but still an avid fan.

Lost the accent over there, yet?

Guest trotter58

Born in 1969, first games were at the end of the 77-78 relegation season. Started going regularly in 79-80 (Withe, Shoulder, Cassidy etc.)

Didn't Newcastle sign Alan Shoulder from Blyth Spartans?

76 was a big year legue cup final then bloody Dennis Tuearts overhead kick spoilt everything

You'll probably remember this then: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48967.0

That's the problem I've got when the "older generation" go on about to the good old days of the 70s. We were nothing more than an average mid-table side...pretty similar to the Newcastle side of the last decade.

Guest trotter58

You'll probably remember this then: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=48967.0

That's the problem I've got when the "older generation" go on about to the good old days of the 70s. We were nothing more than an average mid-table side...pretty similar to the Newcastle side of the last decade.

The difference is that you reached the F.A. Cup final in 1974 and the League Cup Final in 1976 when every single team took those competitions seriously.

Born in 1969, first games were at the end of the 77-78 relegation season. Started going regularly in 79-80 (Withe, Shoulder, Cassidy etc.)

Didn't Newcastle sign Alan Shoulder from Blyth Spartans?

Yes and he ended up our top scorer that season too.

I don't think that could ever happen in today's game.

It depends on how you english define supporting. I'm from Denmark and i've met some english NUFC fans saying you can't be a REAL fan of a club based in another country. But anyway, there's no team over Newcastle United in my world and I know that a lot of members in Toons of Denmark agree to that. I've been following and supporting NUFC since 1993.

The difference is that you reached the F.A. Cup final in 1974 and the League Cup Final in 1976 when every single team took those competitions seriously.

In the last 10 years we've made the FA Cup Final twice as well with mid-table sides. Are you saying Arsenal & Man Utd didn't take those seriously when they were on their way to doubles & trebles those seasons?