Duff

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sittingontheball

He's still only 28, but that World Cup when he was class seems like a long time ago. Hopefully, he's young enough to turn it around.

He's played well since he's come back from injury, i've been very surprised. Zog left/Duff right ftw.

right now very happy with n'zogbia centre attacking midfield

Against Stoke maybe. He was dominated pretty easily today.

you mean today he didn't dominate the game ?

that type of thing happens with half a team out.

No, he was easily dominated. They coped with him very easily today i thought. He only had any real effect when he pushed out to the left occassionally for the last 20 minutes or so.

Such a massive waste if we keep him there long-term.

yup he was easy dominated....why ?2 men on him and limited options perhaps ?  could a decent central midfield solve this ie no bolton player marked rozenhal meaning they could double man elsewhere.

Zog might turn into a quality central midfielder but right now he has too many limitations to his game.  His ball retention, passing and strength are exposed in the middle.  Maybe with 3 central midfielders he can get away with it but not in a 2.  Stick him out wide where he gets a bit more space and he can use his attributes like his pace, his ability to run with the ball and his crossing.

I like the kid but until he develops a bit, you are just exposing his weaknesses and stifling his strengths in the middle.

He's played well since he's come back from injury, i've been very surprised. Zog left/Duff right ftw.

No, he was easily dominated. They coped with him very easily today i thought. He only had any real effect when he pushed out to the left occassionally for the last 20 minutes or so.

yup he was easy dominated....why ?2 men on him and limited options perhaps ?  could a decent central midfield solve this ie no bolton player marked rozenhal meaning they could double man elsewhere.

Zog might turn into a quality central midfielder but right now he has too many limitations to his game.  His ball retention, passing and strength are exposed in the middle.  Maybe with 3 central midfielders he can get away with it but not in a 2.  Stick him out wide where he gets a bit more space and he can use his attributes like his pace, his ability to run with the ball and his crossing.

I like the kid but until he develops a bit, you are just exposing his weaknesses and stifling his strengths in the middle.

his crossing has never been consistent and he is only just getting experience in centre mid. as for running at players most of his best stuff has been done in the middle  even when played in other positions (this season at left back and as at the  SOL when out wide). his best attribute is taking the ball in close and in one movement taking it away...ideal for attacking centre mid. distribution needs wot=rked on but it would to play wide anyway

Zog might turn into a quality central midfielder but right now he has too many limitations to his game.  His ball retention, passing and strength are exposed in the middle.  Maybe with 3 central midfielders he can get away with it but not in a 2.  Stick him out wide where he gets a bit more space and he can use his attributes like his pace, his ability to run with the ball and his crossing.

his crossing has never been consistent and he is only just getting experience in centre mid. as for running at players most of his best stuff has been done in the middle  even when played in other positions (this season at left back and as at the  SOL when out wide). his best attribute is taking the ball in close and in one movement taking it away...ideal for attacking centre mid. distribution needs wot=rked on but it would to play wide anyway

Have to agree, think he could be very effective in the centre. He's equally good onthe right, but ithink that his direct running will open up alot of space for the strikers when he forces defender to commit to tackles on him. Needs to work on his passing and distibution but could be effective. Hopefull this game wont be judged against him because he had absolutley no space to operate, had 2/3 people on him at all times. would be excellent onthe counter attack throught the cnetre.

Have to agree, think he could be very effective in the centre. He's equally good onthe right, but ithink that his direct running will open up alot of space for the strikers when he forces defender to commit to tackles on him. Needs to work on his passing and distibution but could be effective. Hopefull this game wont be judged against him because he had absolutley no space to operate, had 2/3 people on him at all times. would be excellent onthe counter attack throught the cnetre.

But that's exactly what he's going to come up against week in, week out, playing in the middle.  He simply wont get the space to operate that he might out wide or in a free role.

But that's exactly what he's going to come up against week in, week out, playing in the middle.  He simply wont get the space to operate that he might out wide or in a free role.

hows that ? today they didnt mark rozenhal so they could double man elsewhere (given a better player i roz's position n'zogbia may have had a clearer run aswell)

Guest assyriantoon

Just my own opinion but there was a reason that mourinho let duff go and I happen to think it was for similar reasons to geremi.  I'm not saying he is past it but I believe his best days are behind him, he lacks pace, aggression and gets physically pushed around. He clearly is a top professional and has a great attitude but I would personally be looking past him to the future this summer.  I hope to be proved wrong!

Agree completely. In both cases they seem to have lost their legs.

• 2 months later...

duff in money

Sunday April 06 2008

WHEN Damien Duff left Chelsea to sign for Newcastle he insisted his heart told him to go to Tyneside but, judging by figures released last week, his wallet also had plenty to do with it.

Duff was the only Irish player mapped on the list of the world's highest paid footballers published by respected football blog 'Futebol Finance' and he comes in at 80th in the list on an annual salary of €3.96m -- €76,000-a-week -- at St James' Park.

The Irish international has been linked with a move away from the club having failed to re-produce his best form since the arrival of Kevin Keegan and, while Newcastle aren't exactly known for their prudence, the publication of such a salary won't make his task of winning over the Toon Army any easier.

While Kaka leads the way on €9m-a-year (just under €25,000 a day), Duff ranks ahead of the likes of Ricardo Carvalho, Cesc Fabregas and another fairly decent winger, Lionel Messi -- the Barca wizard pocketing a mere €3.3m-a-year. You'd almost feel sorry for him.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/duff-in-money-1339653.html

Guest justin99.

jesus, didn't realise the likes of fabregas and messi were getting paid so low in comparison.

shows how players will sacrifice to play in a winning team, and how clubs like newcastle pay overs to compete.