Heading for a problem with Owen

Cronky

Owen's performance yesterday bothered me a bit. Everyone else seemed to have a role and, within their limitations, was performing it to the best of their ability. Owen just looked lost, and not very happy with it.

It looked to me like Keegan wanted Owen to play as more of a withdrawn, roving striker, like Beardsley or Bellamy - ie get more involved in the build-up rather than just wait to finish off chances. Trying to get Owen to play in a different way produced a clash when Keegan was England manager and I wonder whether we're headed the same way.

Making him Captain seemed to be Keegan's way of giving him a role and a status to live up to, rather than have him on the periphery. On yesterday's showing, it ain't going to work.

Trouble is, Owen is poor in the build up, hasn't got a good enough touch or vision. If he isn't scoring, he contributes nothing. He's been unlucky with some decisions regarding goals of late though.

Aye well I can understand his frustration

A barrage of long ball overs the top to some of the biggest defenders in the PL when you are 3ft 6" high can start to look like a bit of a pointless afternoon

He was dropping deep under fat Sam too, probably going looking for the ball as the service was non existant.

Aye, I would agree with that, I just don't see a future for him in a withdrawn role. I doubt he has been specifically asked to play in that way though.

No wingers, no balls on teh ground

Even SHearer would struggle with this sort of belt it up field service

Owen's poor form isn't purely down to a lack of service. He was shite yesterday. (I realise the service wasn't great yesterday btw, but that doesn't mean his touch etc. wasn't poor).

I think it might be an idea to start getting Owen into the box and then passing to him. Usually works, but we obviously haven't thought of it.

As insightful as your namesake there ;)

everyone thinking of excuses for owen?! hes a very average striker and will struggle to play for england, he seems to have lost his touch

Never had that great a first touch though. I appreciate you weren't born when he last played regularly.

everyone thinking of excuses for owen?! hes a very average striker and will struggle to play for england, he seems to have lost his touch

Never had that great a first touch though. I appreciate you weren't born when he last played regularly.

:lol:

...saw enough of him at liverpool and madrid from what i can remember  O0 hes not worth anymore than £10m now, and thats cheap for  a so called 'top class' striker

...saw enough of him at liverpool and madrid from what i can remember  O0 hes not worth anymore than £10m now, and thats cheap for  a so called 'top class' striker

Two things - why do think he's lost his touch then? If you've seen plenty of him, you'll know he never had a great touch. I'm sure you can appreciate he was having a mare yesterday though and it's better than that. Secondly, why do you rate Martins so much? Given your slating of Owen. There's no way he's good enough to match our ambitions either. Never will be.

once kk gets in the players to provide the service to little mickey we will see the best of him ,yesterday for me we had a midfield not clever enough to provide a killer pass .along way to go until the players get in to a new managers pattern of play to suit the players at his disposal ,not panicing atm.

Two things - why do think he's lost his touch then? If you've seen plenty of him, you'll know he never had a great touch. I'm sure you can appreciate he was having a mare yesterday though and it's better than that. Secondly, why do you rate Martins so much? Given your slating of Owen. There's no way he's good enough to match our ambitions either. Never will be.

i didnt mention his first touch, i just said hes lost his touch. i didnt mean his touch when he recieves the ball i meant hes lost his touch for scoring goals.

yes i USED to say martins was great, i know he has a poor first touch but he actually looks interested more than owen and he scores goals, something owen doesnt do very often when fit.

people say give him a chance but im sick of chances, hes had long enough, time to go for owen imo but i dont think keegan would get rid. i would prefer defoe to owen, but like i say, thats my opinion

Aye well I can understand his frustration

A barrage of long ball overs the top to some of the biggest defenders in the PL when you are 3ft 6" high can start to look like a bit of a pointless afternoon

I didn't think we're playing too many long balls at all. We seemed to be trying quite hard to keep it on the deck. It was too slow to be effective, but the intention was there.

It didn't look like Keegan wants Owen to be hanging around the penalty area, waiting for 'the service' to deliver chances. It wasn't the way Keegan played, and I can't see him wanting it from Owen.

Owen's clearly lost a lot of his pace, and isn't the same player. He has to adapt, but I'm not sure that he wants to. Keegan's a big enough personality to confront this problem, in a way that I think other managers, at club and national level, have failed to do up till now. With Keegan, it's my way or the highway.

Guest Knightrider

I'm not a fan of Owen the person and I'm of the opinion that he's finished as a top player/striker but he gets a clean slate from me now, they all do. If anyone can kick-start his Toon career it is KK.

The fact that Bolton where happy to play at least 8 at the back wont have helped Owens cause.

Yea i agree, problem is some people on this board dont care about things like that, they dont like Owen so it doesnt matter if the service to him was shite or that he had atleast 4-5 bolton players marking him they will always blame Owen. What makes me laugh, if it was Martins people wouldnt say a thing.