Arthur Cox

ATB

Guest thenorthumbrian

I was born after Hughie Gallacher and Jackie Milburn but I sure as hell was made aware of what they meant to the history of the club. 

I was born after Hughie Gallacher and Jackie Milburn but I sure as hell was made aware of what they meant to the history of the club. 

No offence to Cox, but those two are in a different league to him.

If Keegan is the Messiah, and Cox is his Father figure, that makes him God! So who is the Holy Ghost?

Terry Mac

and he puts the bets on as well

Do we think Cox has kept his finger on the pulse? I think it's a good move by Keegan, tbh, as he needs someone around he trusts and can bounce ideas off, but I hope we're not relying on him for talent-spotting and the like.

Some old people need to accept that probably over 25% of Newcastle fans weren't born when Cox was manager.

Me for example, I know he managed us, I know he signed Keegan and they became great friends, and I know he got us promoted, and later rejoined the backroom staff under Keegan, but anything else comes from Wikipedia.

I can never remember a time in my life when I 'only' mixed with people of exactly my own age. Particularly in relation to supporting NUFC, I (and everyone else, young or old, that I knew) always knew all about the current situation at the club, and all previous situations at the club  -  and ALL our famous players and managers.

I cannot understand why or how "when you were born" should have even the tiniest little influence on anyones level of knowledge about our club.  If you are a supporter, that is.

I know that it is sometimes regarded as 'cool' to act ignorant (amongst some people) but it camnnot be regarded as 'cool' (surely) to post on a NUFC forum, and act IGNORANT about NUFC? (whether you were 'only-born-yesterday' or not . . .)

Do I expect my children to understand my ramblings about Souness, Bellamy and Robert? No.

Dont think the original poster was trying to be cool, it was a genuine question.

Football is much less about generations and history these days, and it therefore isn't suprising a younger person doesn't know who Cox is, especially as Cox's achievements almost 25 years ago, aren't up there with the league challenges, and domestic and european cup runs we have experienced in recent years.

James - I don't think he was trying to be cool either!

I do not agree with you, when you say that "football is much less about generations and history these days". I find that the genuine football fan these days (of any age) is "basically" exactly the same as they (of any age) always have been.

There is, however, a larger-than-previously group of supporters who appear to glorify in "not knowing" what genuine supporters have always known.  As we agree, it is not necessarily about 'appearing cool', it is more about trying to demonstrate that "what happened in the past" is not as important or at all relevant, as what is happening now.  This does not apply only to football, of course.

They seem unaware that 'now' is only what it is, because of what led up to it (ie, the past!).  

However, to put it simply  -  any REAL 'died in the wool' obsessive NUFC fan - like most of us are - (apart from really, really young children of course) will know a lot about this wonderful club, and not just what was in the Chronny or on Sky over the last few years, since he/she started going to the match!

Guest neesy111

Arthur Cox is one the best manager's this club had

he managed to attract keegan here as a player, he discovered peter beardsley from carlisle, developed chris waddle and played some of the best football we've had from the last 3 decades, again the board from then screwed things over

he managed to attract keegan here as a player, he discovered peter beardsley from carlisle, developed chris waddle and played some of the best football we've had from the last 3 decades, again the board from then screwed things over

agree

Signed Peter Beardsley from Vancouver didn't he? He'd already been to Carlisle and Man Utd and Vancouver for another spell, strangely. Great signing though, as you allude to.

Terry Mac: I Felt Like Crying When Coxy Came Back

TERRY McDermott admits that he felt like crying when Arthur Cox walked into the Magpies training ground earlier this week.

The 69-year-old former Newcastle boss has returned to the North East to take up a position on United's coaching staff under Kevin Keegan - the player he brought to Tyneside in a sensational move back in 1982.

And that was the same summer which also saw Cox bring Terry Mac back to St.James' for his second spell with the club.

The trio, aided by the likes of Peter Beardsley and Chris Waddle, went on to propel the Geordies back into the top flight of English football during the memorable 83/84 campaign.

And Toon coach McDermott says that it felt just like old times when Coxy turned up at the club's Benton-based training complex on Monday.

"I felt like crying when he came in to the gym to be honest," Terry told Newcastle World TV.

"He is a fantastic guy and everyone loves him."