No signings = relegation?

Guest Brazilianbob

A club that was in the relegation places all season changed the squad to fight for survival, but didn't jeopardise financial stability, by doing so on the cheap....they remained in net credit.

Newcastle have spent half the season in the top half, but started to slide when the expensive set of international players they already have lost faith in the (then) manager.

Completely different scenarios.

what financial stability like?  he owns the club, has paid the debt off and spent little of the oodles of cash every club gets by virtue of being in the PL these days

lets say we spent 20m in jan and went down, i doubt it'd make ashley walk away therefore all we'd have done would be to give it a shot...as it is we've left oourselves open to accusations of inactivity in the face of the inevitable, which is far worse

the fact is 20m on the right players would have virtually guaranteed us staying up

christs sake

Your damn right "christs sake".  Did you not see Keegan chasing players?  Did you not read about Woodgate rejecting us?  f****** hell, maybe you think he should have paid £10M apiece for Bernard and Srnicek just so he could say he spent something on someone.

f****** spoilt brats man.

Again with extreme scenario's, pathetic really.

Aye.  With Barnes in the team we'd have got some points out of Man U, Arsenal and Villa though.

Jesus Wept.

We'll do a Leeds.

We'd put the club in financial jeopardy.

It would be like FS.

We can only sign panic buys.

Were spoilt for wanting new players to avoid relegation or the battle.

You must want to sign £10m Bernard just so we have someone

Ever decreasing time for KK to sign players. Actually half a window, but it gets smaller in Happy's world.

Honestly, its all just bullshit really.

As for Barnes, why not say he could have made a difference in the Bolton, Boro or Blackburn games? Why? Coz happy's on a mission to pick out the worst case scenarios to back up his point of view.

Because we played well in those games numb-nuts.  You're saying we needed to sign people to lift the squad in the games where they're s***.

Who else was screaming come and get me apart from Barnes then?

jesus no-one screams come and get me do they?  there's such a thing as making a deal happen...if we'd signed a similar manager to ramos or mourinho they'd have had a list of players as long as your arm who we could sign that would improve our team immediately, of that i have no doubt

we signed keegan, our inactivity in the market speaks for itself

Mourinho?

Are you for fuckin real?  Or do you spend your days outside the club shop waiting for SSN to come along?

Ramos did well to win the cup.  Done nowt in the league.

i said LIKE them, meaning someone in touch with the fucking game pal...obviously mourinho wouldn't have come unless we paid him crazy, crazy money, even then doubtful

the point stands, you're ignoring it though simply 'cause it suits you and you've no argument whatsoever

If Keegan had been in Narnia then it wouldnt have seemed like he had been away for any time at all to us, the fact that it appears to us that he has been away for 3 years suggests the Narnia rumour is just horse-shit cooked up by the press.

If Keegan had been in Narnia then it wouldnt have seemed like he had been away for any time at all to us, the fact that it appears to us that he has been away for 3 years suggests the Narnia rumour is just horse-s*** cooked up by the press.

ba ha ha

We played well yet won none? Great. No players in mid who can run with the ball, or shoot, or even fuking pass, you think someone who can do that, coming to a new club and wanting to prove a point might just help in tight games like that. In the games you mentioned there's simply nothing we could have done, and you know it. A whole new team would be needed, and that can be done nexct summer, but right now we need to win the winnable games, a few changes in player personal would have got us closer to doing that.

Who screams to join a club? You are simply talking out of your arse now. Player A wants to join NUFC so he shouts from the rooftops he want the move. It doesn't happen, where does that leave him? Jesus fuking wept man, have a word with yourself.

As for the name calling, give it a rest, fukwit, numb-nuts, if that's what you have to resort to then you really are, well, i'm not going down that road, no need.

Seems to me people want to whine about the situation for the sake of whining.

Since Keegan arrived there's been a drastic improvement in tactics, performances and passion.  People whining have no suggestions who we should have signed .  The people we approached goes to show how loathe players are to come.

If you blame Keegan and the fortnight he had with an open window when he arrived for our current position rather than Allardyce and the 8 months he took to build the most tepid team I've seen at St James', you're a moron.

Sorry like HF but I love KK and there simply hasn't been a drastic improvement in performances. There have been some encouraging signs but some performances, albeit against the very best sides in the league have been shocking and at least as bad as under Allardyce. Bolton and Boro at home didn't constitute dramatic improvements either. There are mitigating circumstances obviously.

he was appointed 14 days or something before the end of the window....give me funds and 14 days i guaran-f******-tee you i'd have found 3-4 players that would have had a positive effect on our performances

:laugh:

I'll bet you could on FM2008 by resetting without saving.

weak mate, really really weak

Not quite as weak as saying you could personally turn around 3 years of mis-management in 14 days.

We played well yet won none? Great. No players in mid who can run with the ball, or shoot, or even fuking pass, you think someone who can do that, coming to a new club and wanting to prove a point might just help in tight games like that. In the games you mentioned there's simply nothing we could have done, and you know it. A whole new team would be needed, and that can be done nexct summer, but right now we need to win the winnable games, a few changes in player personal would have got us closer to doing that.

Who screams to join a club? You are simply talking out of your arse now. Player A wants to join NUFC so he shouts from the rooftops he want the move. It doesn't happen, where does that leave him? Jesus fuking wept man, have a word with yourself.

As for the name calling, give it a rest, fukwit, numb-nuts, if that's what you have to resort to then you really are, well, i'm not going down that road, no need.

Since Keegan arrived there's been a drastic improvement in tactics, performances and passion.  People whining have no suggestions who we should have signed .  The people we approached goes to show how loathe players are to come.

If you blame Keegan and the fortnight he had with an open window when he arrived for our current position rather than Allardyce and the 8 months he took to build the most tepid team I've seen at St James', you're a moron.

I'm not though am i?

You are one fuked up muppet today.

Sorry like HF but I love KK and there simply hasn't been a drastic improvement in performances. There have been some encouraging signs but some performances, albeit against the very best sides in the league have been shocking and at least as bad as under Allardyce. Bolton and Boro at home didn't constitute dramatic improvements either. There are mitigating circumstances obviously.

We had more about us on Saturday than in any other game I've seen this season.

Players were in their own positions for a start.

Boro and Bolton were more cagey and we had nowt incisive to cut them open with.

I agree.

"a drastic improvement in tactics, performances and passion"...jesus christ, reading from the KK/Mort book of propaganda there are you?  what is it, no wins 17 conceded and 3 scored in 7 games?

tactially we have not improved, keegan is getting them back to a basic passing game but tactically he has no idea...if he did he'd do something diifferent at anfield instead of throwing the same players out in the same formation against a superior team to be slaughtered, lets see what he does there

performances and passion fine, not results though eh?

you mention allardyce, keegan should not be immune to the criticism allardyce took...as i said keegan has reinstilled a basic passing game (his only apparent talent tactically) but is failing where it matters

allardyce made a mess of the preceding 8 months, fine, but look at all of the other clubs who brought in new managers - they've all had improved results and signed players to try to improve things, kev's done neither

We had more about us on Saturday than in any other game I've seen this season.

Players were in their own positions for a start.

Boro and Bolton were more cagey and we had nowt incisive to cut them open with.

That's one match though. I agree we played well, we should have won and were very unlucky to lose. I know where you're coming from re: things looking better in some senses - even when we've been well beaten of late we've tried to play football, something we haven't done for a while, for example.

I'm not though am i?

erm, yeah, you are....

in reality because we signed no one were in a relegation fight.

the change in performances, and I agree they haven't been "drastic" but they HAVE been a canny bit better, have convinced me that KK will do the job again, providing he has the backing of the board and the time to do it.

The spirit on saturday on the back of the last few weeks was excellent, as was the determination to try and force the game, apply pressure etc all Keegans methods. There is no doubt that we lack the quality to make these tactics really count, but it IS the way to play if you are aiming for success, and he's doing it already.

This is the big question though. There is a case for playing to strengths, many teams recognise they don't have the ability to play an open game and so play a tighter game to get the points. We maybe could be doing this but it isn't Keegans way. The "tactical nous" people may jump on this and they do have a point in the current situation. Whatever happens I'm backing Keegan, because with support of his board, he'll leave us better off than where he found us and if the unthinkable happens I won't blame him, everything we have as a club now is down to him and he deserves the slack to get on with restoring the club back to where he left it the last time.

Guest LucaAltieri

"a drastic improvement in tactics, performances and passion"...jesus christ, reading from the KK/Mort book of propaganda there are you?  what is it, no wins 17 conceded and 3 scored in 7 games?

tactially we have not improved, keegan is getting them back to a basic passing game but tactically he has no idea...if he did he'd do something diifferent at anfield instead of throwing the same players out in the same formation against a superior team to be slaughtered, lets see what he does there

you mention allardyce, keegan should not be immune to the criticism allardyce took...as i said keegan has reinstilled a basic passing game (his only apparent talent tactically) but is failing where it matters

allardyce made a mess of the preceding 8 months, fine, but look at all of the other clubs who brought in new managers - they've all had improved results and signed players to try to improve things, kev's done neither

Kev's also played Man United, and Arsenal away (twice) in the first 7 games. No excuses against Villa, but against Boro and Blackburn we were robbed. Give the bloke a chance. Just quoting the stats only tells half the story... if in 3 games time we're still without a win you might have an argument. As of right now, you don't.

I'm not though am i?

erm, yeah, you are....

in reality because we signed no one were in a relegation fight.

I'm not blaming KK for the current situation of the club, i'm asking why no one was signed to help stay away from a relegation fight.

We are in a relegation fight, we didn't sign anyone to help us out, if we did we would stand a better chance, unless we simply cannot trust KK to find quality players that is. I do think there has been marginal improvements no matter what the stats say, but those games at home against beatable teams could have turned into wins with new players as we know its going to be tough with the current crop.

Even KK himself said the club needed a boost from signing a player or two, his words not mine, i agree with them, you don't.

the change in performances, and I agree they haven't been "drastic" but they HAVE been a canny bit better, have convinced me that KK will do the job again, providing he has the backing of the board and the time to do it.

The spirit on saturday on the back of the last few weeks was excellent, as was the determination to try and force the game, apply pressure etc all Keegans methods. There is no doubt that we lack the quality to make these tactics really count, but it IS the way to play if you are aiming for success, and he's doing it already.

This is the big question though. There is a case for playing to strengths, many teams recognise they don't have the ability to play an open game and so play a tighter game to get the points. We maybe could be doing this but it isn't Keegans way. The "tactical nous" people may jump on this and they do have a point in the current situation. Whatever happens I'm backing Keegan, because with support of his board, he'll leave us better off than where he found us and if the unthinkable happens I won't blame him, everything we have as a club now is down to him and he deserves the slack to get on with restoring the club back to where he left it the last time.

Aye and in particular we'll go for it in games, something Allardyce didn't do and led to us throwing points away against the likes of Derby, Wigan, Reading and so on - i.e. given our pourous defence 'going for it' is playing to our strengths imo.

Kev's also played Man United, and Arsenal away (twice) in the first 7 games. No excuses against Villa, but against Boro and Blackburn we were robbed. Give the bloke a chance. Just quoting the stats only tells half the story... if in 3 games time we're still without a win you might have an argument. As of right now, you don't.

no, i have an argument and you've just read it...

what sort of defence is that?  oh we played someone good there so don't count that result/performance, if we were just gonna write off 'x' amount of games against good teams what did we sack allardyce for?  he'd have at least maybe bored his way to a couple of extra draws along the way

jesus, he was brought in to improve both wasn't he? 

i didn't see a great deal of sympathy for allardyce when we lost, it was all down to him and him alone...now we're still losing it's only the players?  come on

[we were not robbed against boro by the way, we were very very lucky to escpae with a point in the end]

Very sensible post. I too have see enough from KK to suggest the old magic can be reborn. Providing the two things you mention happen, A) We beat the drop and B) He gets the correct funds.

So is Keegan to blame for not signing anyone in January then or not?

Yes, well i think so.

His decision (that's what he said) and him not having enough knowledge of the modern game. You can blame that one on the board for appointing him if you like.

I won't be bothered if we manage to stay in the league, but right now its touch and go, and if KK couldn't sign anyone in the window then he shouldn't have been appointed, right now its done more harm than good.

Come the summer it will be very different, however it pans out.

You're the one saying he'd transform our results tbf.

Did I?

Touché. ;)

Why else are you arguing about him then?

I'm not arguing about anything. Just putting peoples stupid ideas about him in to touch.

Knocking a young lad for scoring only one goal in the league, when £60m+ worth of Manu talent can't do any better is fuking thick imo.

Barnes getting NUFC grief and he hasn't even become a toon player, its just amazing, it really is.

People aren't knocking him for being a young lad, they're knocking him because he's been brought up in this thread as someone we should have signed.

i think he was actually brought up as one of the two players we know we bid for, therefore it's safe to assume we wanted to sign him

there are obviously better midfielders throughout europe and the world, he's just the one we know keegan asked for

Which is a fair point.

KK thought he saw something in him, but for some reason we offered daft money, and guess what, its was greeted with a big KO.

Some defended the club by saying we were going for him on the cheap and would go back, but we didn't. I just do not get what's going on with that one, which makes the Barnes situation even more bitter for myself. He should have and could have been ours for relatively cheap money. It cost twice as much to sack SA FFS.

i've not seen that much of barnes but the parrells with dyer work on almost every level...when we paid 6m for dyer all those years ago he'd only played in the first division but excelled there, same as barnes, and there's nothing to suggest he'd not have struggled with ipswich when they were promoted a la barnes

we thought 6m on a fast, young player with potential was worth it then, why not now?

They only wanted £4m IIRC. We bid £2m

He's worth £4m anyday, its not a risk, he's 19 and would easily full fill £4m worth of potential.

I still cannot get my head around it. Billionaire owner being a cheap cunt in times of desperation. Crazy.

spot on.

There is no way that Keegan didn't come in and immediately see 2 or 3 players that he would have liked to have signed that he knew would improve the team and avoid this mess that we are now heading towards.

Guest LucaAltieri

no, i have an argument and you've just read it...

what sort of defence is that?  oh we played someone good there so don't count that result/performance, if we were just gonna write off 'x' amount of games against good teams what did we sack allardyce for?  he'd have at least maybe bored his way to a couple of extra draws along the way

jesus, he was brought in to improve both wasn't he? 

i didn't see a great deal of sympathy for allardyce when we lost, it was all down to him and him alone...now we're still losing it's only the players?  come on

[we were not robbed against boro by the way, we were very very lucky to escpae with a point in the end]

No point in arguing over Allardyce. I wanted to see him given time too... but it didn't happen.

But as for your points... yes we should have written the games against Man United and Arsenal off. Most sensible fans did. There's not a manager in the league who would have taken that group of players to the Emirates, first game on the job, and got a result. Not a single one.

He spent 200m and he has an asset worth at least 200m. Not exactly the Rowntree foundation.

Aye, he's put the money where it makes business sense.

So it doesn't make business sense to spend money on football players at a football club, especially one that is struggling?

Ask a Leeds fan.

I'd rather ask a manu fan

You're the one saying he'd transform our results tbf.

Did I?

Touché. ;)

Why else are you arguing about him then?

I'm not arguing about anything. Just putting peoples stupid ideas about him in to touch.

Knocking a young lad for scoring only one goal in the league, when £60m+ worth of Manu talent can't do any better is fuking thick imo.

Barnes getting NUFC grief and he hasn't even become a toon player, its just amazing, it really is.

People aren't knocking him for being a young lad, they're knocking him because he's been brought up in this thread as someone we should have signed.

i think he was actually brought up as one of the two players we know we bid for, therefore it's safe to assume we wanted to sign him

there are obviously better midfielders throughout europe and the world, he's just the one we know keegan asked for

Which is a fair point.

KK thought he saw something in him, but for some reason we offered daft money, and guess what, its was greeted with a big KO.

Some defended the club by saying we were going for him on the cheap and would go back, but we didn't. I just do not get what's going on with that one, which makes the Barnes situation even more bitter for myself. He should have and could have been ours for relatively cheap money. It cost twice as much to sack SA FFS.

i've not seen that much of barnes but the parrells with dyer work on almost every level...when we paid 6m for dyer all those years ago he'd only played in the first division but excelled there, same as barnes, and there's nothing to suggest he'd not have struggled with ipswich when they were promoted a la barnes

we thought 6m on a fast, young player with potential was worth it then, why not now?

They only wanted £4m IIRC. We bid £2m

He's worth £4m anyday, its not a risk, he's 19 and would easily full fill £4m worth of potential.

I still cannot get my head around it. Billionaire owner being a cheap cunt in times of desperation. Crazy.

spot on.

There is no way that Keegan didn't come in and immediately see 2 or 3 players that he would have liked to have signed that he knew would improve the team and avoid this mess that we are now heading towards.

But (supposing you're right) maybe they wouldn't come and the money was there - i.e. the Woodgate situation.