Current opinion on Keegan appointment?

Mr Logic
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keegan is irrelevant.

The blame falls on our bad players.  I'll form my opinion of Keegan Mk 2 based on what he does this summer (provided we stay up). 

I want to see some careers ended.  I want to see some of these players find themselves playing for Swindon or Norwich or Stoke, suddenly realizing that they also have to pay the price for underachievement.  Although it may be harsh on two of our new players, there isn't a player in this squad that I would be upset to see the back of.  And that is the first time I can ever remember thinking that.  I have no respect for them.

Keegan is irrelevant.

The blame falls on our bad players.  I'll form my opinion of Keegan Mk 2 based on what he does this summer (provided we stay up). 

I want to see some careers ended.  I want to see some of these players find themselves playing for Swindon or Norwich or Stoke, suddenly realizing that they also have to pay the price for underachievement.   Although it may be harsh on two of our new players, there isn't a player in this squad that I would be upset to see the back of.  And that is the first time I can ever remember thinking that.  I have no respect for them.

What amazes me was that Alan Smith was being linked to Cardiff for a season-long loan during the summer.

Then we go along and buy him for 6m. Staggering.

Guest johnson293

Wasn't sure which thread to put this in, but this as good as any, and apologies if its already posted elsewhere...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=512207&in_page_id=1779

The Daily Mail reckons that Newcastle supporters are betting on Keegan getting sacked.

Is the honeymoon over for Keegan? Toon fans already betting on a quick departure from St James' Park

Last

updated at 11:16am on 4th February 2008

Disgruntled Newcastle fans have started voting with their wallets about Kevin Keegan's future.

Four games into his second spell as Magpies manager, Keegan has yet to register a win and has only managed one goal in all that time.

And leading bookmaker Ladbrokes has revealed a huge surge in betting that the former England boss will be the next Premier League sacked has come in - from Newcastle fans themselves.

The odds on him joining Sam Allardyce out the exit door have shortened to 4/1 as a result and Keegan is now the joint second favourite to go with Reading's Steve Coppell.

Ladbrokes spokesman Robin Hutchison said: "Punters who were welcoming him with open arms a few weeks ago appear to have changed their minds judging by the post codes on the internet accounts backing him to leave."

Liverpool's Rafael Benitez is the 6/4 favourite to be the next up for the dreaded axe.

Ladbrokes also make Newcastle just 9/4 not win any of their next five Premier League matches as the Magpies sit just seven points above the drop zone.

Of all those games, bookies make the home match against Blackburn at 5/2 the most likely to win and with away trips to Aston Villa, Birmingham and Liverpool, plus a St James' Park clash with Manchester United also in that run, it is hard to argue with that.

:rolleyes:

Is the honeymoon over for Keegan? Toon fans already betting on a quick departure from St James' Park

Last

Disgruntled Newcastle fans have started voting with their wallets about Kevin Keegan's future.

Four games into his second spell as Magpies manager, Keegan has yet to register a win and has only managed one goal in all that time.

And leading bookmaker Ladbrokes has revealed a huge surge in betting that the former England boss will be the next Premier League sacked has come in - from Newcastle fans themselves.

The odds on him joining Sam Allardyce out the exit door have shortened to 4/1 as a result and Keegan is now the joint second favourite to go with Reading's Steve Coppell.

Ladbrokes spokesman Robin Hutchison said: "Punters who were welcoming him with open arms a few weeks ago appear to have changed their minds judging by the post codes on the internet accounts backing him to leave."

Liverpool's Rafael Benitez is the 6/4 favourite to be the next up for the dreaded axe.

Ladbrokes also make Newcastle just 9/4 not win any of their next five Premier League matches as the Magpies sit just seven points above the drop zone.

Of all those games, bookies make the home match against Blackburn at 5/2 the most likely to win and with away trips to Aston Villa, Birmingham and Liverpool, plus a St James' Park clash with Manchester United also in that run, it is hard to argue with that.

Jesus wept man  :rolleyes:

Wasn't sure which thread to put this in, but this as good as any, and apologies if its already posted elsewhere...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=512207&in_page_id=1779

The Daily Mail reckons that Newcastle supporters are betting on Keegan getting sacked.

Last

:rolleyes:

What a bunch of tits!  Bet the betting is due to the timing of Wise's appointment not the results!

Can't wait until we can shove there fucking words down their throats TBH

I thought the Club (Ashley) had missed a glorious opportunity to move up to the level required.  The new manager should have had success written all over him. He should have either had CL under his belt or managed at the highest levels in Spain/Germany/Italy.

I had serious reservations when I heard about Keegan and I still have them now. He's a cheque book manager with good motivaional skills - but he'll be walked all over by the Fergusons and Wengers of the game.

But, I think over 18 months Keegan will 'up' the anti and move the Club forward just not sure he's got it in him to break the top 4.

TBF what top manager would want to come here? If KK can get us top 6 next season and the season after then surely we will be a more attractive club.

With just about everything about the club, I find it hard to believe that a top manager outside the premiership wouldn't be interested in the Newcastle job, the big hitters excepted (Real, Barca, Juve etc).  Spurs got Ramos to give up involvement in the CL and I think Newcastle would be well capable of recruiting someone of that level or higher.  It's ironic that Ramos's appointment was with the help of Tony Jimenez, I don't believe for a minute that he wouldn't have been able to recruit a high calibre coach.  I can see similarities between Keegan now and Jol, capable of improving the club from where it was when they were appointed, but perhaps falling just short of the level that the fans would ideally like.

So, in short, I agree with CG, I think Ashley missed a trick, especially as the plan was to adopt the continental structure of management.

Keegan was the right choice because he was the only realistic candidate to stand a chance of being given the time necessary to turn the club around.  Any other manager would have had the vultures swooping even more by now because they would never have had the majority of fans behind them.  There would always have been a large group of dissenters no matter who was the new manager.

As for Keegans role.....he is being brought here to stablise the club, improve the team to a reasonable level, and to make us an attractive proposition for the top tier coach we need. As we have seen over the last 3 managerial appointments, we don't have a huge queue of the worlds top managers begging for the job when we go out looking.  Keegan will spend a couple more seasons after this one steadily improving the club before riding off into the sunset and letting the next grade manager come in.

If Keegan can do a Claudio Ranieri/Chelsea or a Martin Jol/Spurs improvement, and set us up perfectly for our own top six placement and position us for an assault on the big four in a couple of years with a new leader, then I will be ecstatic.

With just about everything about the club, I find it hard to believe that a top manager outside the premiership wouldn't be interested in the Newcastle job, the big hitters excepted (Real, Barca, Juve etc).  Spurs got Ramos to give up involvement in the CL and I think Newcastle would be well capable of recruiting someone of that level or higher.  It's ironic that Ramos's appointment was with the help of Tony Jimenez, I don't believe for a minute that he wouldn't have been able to recruit a high calibre coach.   I can see similarities between Keegan now and Jol, capable of improving the club from where it was when they were appointed, but perhaps falling just short of the level that the fans would ideally like.

So, in short, I agree with CG, I think Ashley missed a trick, especially as the plan was to adopt the continental structure of management.

Nobody knows if Ashley missed a trick, that will only be known in the future, even then, nobody knows how a so called top manager would have performed here so in that respect, we'll never know.

Football already looks far better/players look far more comfortable than under Allardyce. I think against Boro for the first time in a long while we looked capable of scoring goals, and scored two fair goals (thanks Mike Dean) as well as squandering a number of chances (Barton missed two good ones). Under Alladyce four chances in a game was an absolute rarity. Still think it's a very risky appointment, especially with a squad that he only inherited and, for whatever reason, was unable to add to, but more content with him thus far than I have been with anybody since Robson. Still worried that if it doesn't work out we'll be in complete turmoil as our so-called Messiah would have failed, but no need to contemplate that just now. At least I hope not.

Guest Knightrider
"They know I'll look after their club. I did last time as a player and a manager and I will this time." - KK

Tbh.

It is hillarious papers think we lost faith in King Kev. This club and its supporters are target of the media including Anal. Until we say enough is enogh and belive in our self we won't go far.

I for one luv KK his footballing philosphy is exactly what I want and with him and Ashleys new vision we will go some where very nice in the next 5 years. As for this season I don't care as long as we don't finish any where below 17th.

Keep the  faith.