Spineless Toon

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

For me until we set about putting in place a strong spine to the first-team we will always be an average side and it's no surprise that we keep breaking down, whether that's trying to play football, trying to protect a lead or trying to go on and win a match. Say what you will about all the contributing factors behind our performances and there are many, but I think the spine or lack of spine is a huge culprit, an area that is often overlooked.

We last had a solid and quality spine to our side under SBR.

Shay, Woodgate, Speed, Shearer - 4 top-class players, consistent players when in the side who rarely gave you less than 7 out of 10 in a game every week. We lack that and badly.

Furthermore, whenever we've tried to put out a solid spine or try to make do with what we have, injuries, suspensions and other things have all cropped up to prevent us from doing so on a regular basis and this has probably had the biggest impact on the team in my opinion outside of the obvious like not being good enough etc.

For me until we set about putting in place a strong spine to the first-team we will always be an average side and it's no surprise that we keep breaking down, whether that's trying to play football, trying to protect a lead or trying to go on and win a match. Say what you will about all the contributing factors behind our performances and there are many, but I think the spine or lack of spine is a huge culprit, an area that is often overlooked.

Shay, Woodgate, Speed, Shearer - 4 top-class players, consistent players when in the side who rarely gave you less than 7 out of 10 in a game every week. We lack that and badly.

Furthermore, whenever we've tried to put out a solid spine or try to make do with what we have, injuries, suspensions and other things have all cropped up to prevent us from doing so on a regular basis and this has probably had the biggest impact on the team in my opinion outside of the obvious like not being good enough etc.

And there lies the flaw in your theory.

Guest Knightrider

And there lies the flaw in your theory.

Not spot the "when in the side" bit?

The Premiership has improved considerably since then.

Look at Man City, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Villa, Spurs, Everton and West Ham all those sides have improved significantly since then.

Whereas we have gone backwards bigtime, we have lost ALL our matchwinners Robert, Bellamy, Shearer and Solano.  Also Gary Speed, who was never fully appreciated did a very good job.

Only area we have improved is Defense - we just can't protect it enough, pass or attack anymore.

to it seems as though most of our lot have nothing to play for--as in they won't play for the badge, they won't play for the mgr, they won't play for the fans, they won't play for the guilt of fat wallets, they won't even play for each other!

they lack pride, ambition, esprit de corps, chemistry & fitness.  and none them has the "will to win".  ...etc

i don't know, the wheels have come off & i'm blinded by the sparks from the axles!!! :frantic:

to it seems as though most of our lot have nothing to play for--as in they won't play for the badge, they won't play for the mgr, they won't play for the fans, they won't play for the guilt of fat wallets, they won't even play for each other!

they lack pride, ambition, esprit de corps, chemistry & fitness.  and none them has the "will to win".  ...etc

i don't know, the wheels have come off & i'm blinded by the sparks from the axles!!! :frantic:

Just put these on my good man.  Those sparks will bother ye not.

http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/images/shades.icon.png

Just put these on my good man.  Those sparks will bother ye not.

http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/images/shades.icon.png

cheers, now i have done  :coolsmiley:

Guest Stephen927

The spine in our team is only half complete, we have Shay or Harper, Faye, then no one who is really our spine through the middle or up front.

I think 4 or 5 signings and we'll be a much more capable outfit, central midfield is a top priority this summer, something that needs sorted out as it's been rubbish for a long time. We also need a big imposing striker, who can assist as well as grab a fair few himself, Viduka's fitness and age for me means that a replacement is needed ASAP.